Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi Hilton Honors VISA (no annual fee version) [Ends Dec 2017]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 30, 2014, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
ALL Citi HHonors application links are now DEAD.

Citi's contract to issue Hilton co-branded cards ends December 31, 2017. Citi will sell most accounts to American Express. The criteria for determining which accounts are eligible to be sold are unpublished. Read Hilton FAQ: http://hiltonhonors3.hilton.com/en/e...-card-faq.html .
Print Wikipost

Citi Hilton Honors VISA (no annual fee version) [Ends Dec 2017]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2015, 8:14 am

Originally Posted by maxmnx
Does a decline count as an "open or close" in 18 months?

I was reviewing my tracking spreadsheet, and completely forgot about being declined for "too many inquiries"- had opened 2 other cards earlier in the day- Chase & Barclays. I hadn't broken the 8/65 day rule, but I guess I broke some other rule.
IIRC, "too many inquiries" generally means you've had >6 hard pulls in the last 6 months on the bureau pulled by Citi.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by beltway
IIRC, "too many inquiries" generally means you've had >6 hard pulls in the last 6 months on the bureau pulled by Citi.
Definitely more than 6.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by maxmnx
Does a decline count as an "open or close" in 18 months?

I was reviewing my tracking spreadsheet, and completely forgot about being declined for "too many inquiries"- had opened 2 other cards earlier in the day- Chase & Barclays. I hadn't broken the 8/65 day rule, but I guess I broke some other rule.
No, declines only affect the 8/65-day clocks.

But declines don't count as either open or close (as long as they're not subsequently approved -- some people get notified during the application process that they've been declined, and then weeks later they get a card after all).
Old Jul 9, 2015, 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
But if the loophole turns out to be a phone application only (say, because the 18-month check is done by computer script which the phone application bypasses), that may not help with the 75k, since it doesn't have the same "or call XXX-XXX-XXXX" below the "Apply Now" that the 60k landing page has had.

My guess is that the 60k offer was created for a non-internet media ad of some sort (printed/TV/radio/whatever), and that's why a phone number was created for it. Offers which were intended to be promoted only on the internet don't need a phone number for applying.

At any rate, we have only one anecdote about the 60k phone app working so far (for someone who'd had an HH Visa in the past 18 months), and that anecdote includes the person applying misstating (by mistake, it appears) whether they had an HH Visa in the past 18 months, and the agent taking their word, instead of checking. So will it only work if we "lie" (since we know we had one in the past 18 months)???
I received an email for the 75,000 mile offer. It does have a phone # 888-625-2396 (exp 9/30/15), in case the phone is a loophole. I've never had the card, so I cannot test this theory. Hope this helps someone.
Old Jul 9, 2015, 6:19 pm

Question: I applied for the 60k offer the day before the 75k offer came out. My card hasnt arrived yet. If I never activate it and never receive the 60k bonus, am I then elligible for the 75k offer? I know Citi counts 18 months from account openings. I guess the question is, if I applied for and was approved for the 60k offer, but never activate the card, does that count as an account opening? Thanks in advance.
Old Jul 9, 2015, 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by Auerbach
Question: I applied for the 60k offer the day before the 75k offer came out. My card hasnt arrived yet. If I never activate it and never receive the 60k bonus, am I then elligible for the 75k offer? I know Citi counts 18 months from account openings. I guess the question is, if I applied for and was approved for the 60k offer, but never activate the card, does that count as an account opening? Thanks in advance.
Call to activate the card and before activation tell them you saw the 75K offer, there is a good chance they will match it.

Don't forget the 75K offer requires spending $2k in 3 months vs $1k in 4 months for the 60k offer

On a different note I got a call from Citi yesterday asking why I closed one ( I actually closed 6 HH Visas yesterday) HH visa and opened the same exact card on the same day.

I made up a story and since I was already on the cal decided to ask about my new card, I asked what the credit limit was ( confirmed $13.5K ) and them asked if there were any points for spending $$$ on the card..............she said she sees that I will get 75,000 points for spending $2K in 3 months.................does it happen, who knows but it can't hurt that the rep sees the bonus on my acct.

Last edited by flyer4512; Jul 9, 2015 at 7:17 pm
Old Jul 9, 2015, 7:18 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL, AS, LH, BA, VS, HHonors, Hyatt, Club Carlson, IHG, Marriott
You applied and were approved so I'd think it counts towards the 18-month rule in their system.
I think it's better to just get the 60K offer or at least try having it matched. Otherwise, you wasted another HP and may still have to wait another 18 months to get that same card.
Old Jul 9, 2015, 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by flyer4512
Call to activate the card and before activation tell them you saw the 75K offer, there is a good chance they will match it.

Don't forget the 75K offer requires spending $2k in 3 months vs $1k in 4 months for the 60k offer

On a different note I got a call from Citi yesterday asking why I closed one ( I actually closed 6 HH Visas yesterday) HH visa and opened the same exact card on the same day.

I made up a story and since I was already on the cal decided to ask about my new card, I asked what the credit limit was ( confirmed $13.5K ) and them asked if there were any points for spending $$$ on the card..............she said she sees that I will get 75,000 points for spending $2K in 3 months.................does it happen, who knows but it can't hurt that the rep sees the bonus on my acct.
I already did that and the rep told me they couldnt change the bonus. I was surprised because the same thing happened to me with the marriott card and chase gave me the more lucrative offer no problem
Old Jul 9, 2015, 9:12 pm

I already did that and the rep told me they couldnt change the bonus. I was surprised because the same thing happened to me with the marriott card and chase gave me the more lucrative offer no problem
I would just stick with 60K then.......if you cancel and apply again you may end up spending $2K for nothing

You are new here so if you haven't been following I have had 24 of the HH Visas............I am giving the 75K card a shot on the outside chance that the system may let people who had the card recently slide through.
Old Jul 10, 2015, 6:47 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Mlife Gold, IHG Platinum, SW for domestic, AA for international
We were having trouble with the minimum spending for going on a long-time trip, and so our friend that is traveling with us kindly decided to help us out by opening this card with the $75k bonus. He also plans on getting the Reserve card and giving us the 2 free weekend night certificates.

I know its possible for him to book us a room by putting us in the Guest 2 (and we're traveling together anyway), but could we somehow book the first 3 nights of our room with his points/free nights, and then book with our HHonor points for the remaining 3 nights for our stay? Will we be forced to move rooms (since we'll show up as separate reservations)?
Old Jul 10, 2015, 12:29 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by BigTravelSmallMoney
We were having trouble with the minimum spending for going on a long-time trip, and so our friend that is traveling with us kindly decided to help us out by opening this card with the $75k bonus.
(Could you please P.M. with a link to this offer? It's definitely one of the better bonuses I've heard of and I might be interested in going for it.)
(Thanks!)
Old Jul 10, 2015, 12:56 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Mlife Gold, IHG Platinum, SW for domestic, AA for international
Originally Posted by IDM79
(Could you please P.M. with a link to this offer? It's definitely one of the better bonuses I've heard of and I might be interested in going for it.)
(Thanks!)
The offer is in Wiki first post where it says:
There's a new offer (as of July 7, 2015) for 75K points after $2k spend in 3 months (landing page; application page).
Old Jul 10, 2015, 12:56 pm

applied the first day of latest offer. No instant decision. Tried calling, checked status online: only answer is that they cannot provide me the status of my app at the moment((
How long is the wait?
Old Jul 10, 2015, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by IDM79
(Thanks!)
The link for the 75K (but not $75K) offer is in the wiki.
Old Jul 10, 2015, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by beltway
The link for the 75K (but not $75K) offer is in the wiki.
Correct, I meant the 75k link in the wiki. $75k would have been pretty cool though!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.