Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi Hilton Honors VISA (no annual fee version) [Ends Dec 2017]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 30, 2014, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
ALL Citi HHonors application links are now DEAD.

Citi's contract to issue Hilton co-branded cards ends December 31, 2017. Citi will sell most accounts to American Express. The criteria for determining which accounts are eligible to be sold are unpublished. Read Hilton FAQ: http://hiltonhonors3.hilton.com/en/e...-card-faq.html .
Print Wikipost

Citi Hilton Honors VISA (no annual fee version) [Ends Dec 2017]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2015, 1:28 am

Originally Posted by frudd38
95% of the bloggers don't know what they're talking about. Even IHG Plat and Carlson Gold stay intact for quite awhile. It's likely until the beginning of the following calendar year around Feb where most status checks restart, but what do I know.
I believe Hilton status always expires March 31, 20XX

My card says Gold expires 3/2016, I know it was active last week and I cancelled my Surpass in late ( November) 2014.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Guys, this is the thread for the non-Reserve Citi HH Visa. The only way the no-AF HH Visa gives Gold status is by spend, and thus that has nothing to with cancelling.

Now, if someone is worried about their Silver status being cancelled due to cancelling a no-AF card that never needs to be cancelled, I'd like to know why (a) they'd be worried about losing the near-useless Silver status and (b) why cancel a no-AF card if you do like the status level it gives you.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 8:36 am

Programs: AOPA
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Guys, this is the thread for the non-Reserve Citi HH Visa. The only way the no-AF HH Visa gives Gold status is by spend, and thus that has nothing to with cancelling.

Now, if someone is worried about their Silver status being cancelled due to cancelling a no-AF card that never needs to be cancelled, I'd like to know why (a) they'd be worried about losing the near-useless Silver status and (b) why cancel a no-AF card if you do like the status level it gives you.
I org asked the question, because I cancel the Reserve and wanting to apply this card. I don't know if the silver status on this card will overwrite the gold from the canceled reserve card.

thanks for the reply
Old Aug 4, 2015, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by teddy25
I don't know if the silver status on this card will overwrite the gold from the canceled reserve card.
No, otherwise everyone who has higher status with HHonors who applied for this card would be downgraded to Silver. And of course, no one ever has.

Hote/airline programs are used to this. There are zillions of ways to get low level status as a perk with some activity. Just because you do that activity doesn't mean you're downgraded to that low level status, if you already have a higher level status. You simply don't get anything for that perk (since all perks that give you status really mean "that status unless you already have a higher status"). Ie, neither does it downgrade you from a higher status than the stated lower status, nor does it upgrade you an additional status level up (another sometimes-asked question).

Similarly, if you get a card that gives you one free checked bag on an airline, but you already have status that gives you two free checked bags, you neither get downgraded to only one checked bag nor do you get upgraded to three free checked bags. Whichever gives you the better version of the benefit (your existing status or the card) wins.

So the only question worth asking (for which I don't know the answer offhand) is: If you get this card while being Gold (or Diamond), and then drop from Gold (or Diamond) for whatever reason (most common simply being it expires), does HHonors automatically know not to drop you below Silver, or have they lost track of the fact that you still have this card by then and thus drop you to no status at all?

But even that may not be a real scenario, if HHonors still does "soft landings" from Gold to Silver (whether or not you have the card). I haven't kept up with whether they do or not.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by frudd38
95% of the bloggers don't know what they're talking about. Even IHG Plat and Carlson Gold stay intact for quite awhile. It's likely until the beginning of the following calendar year around Feb where most status checks restart, but what do I know.
IHG updates the Chase card Plat once a year, I dont recall whether it is a fixed time of the year or based on your card's anniversary. But you would see the line of Chase Card something, without pts associated, in your IHG activity page. It definitely does not expire when you cancel the card. Even Marriott does not take the Silver away when you cancel the Marriott card. In fact it seems to stay forever.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Good point.

BTW, if you earn Gold from the spend on the no fee card, dont believe what either Hilton or AMEX tell you about it has to be sent by AMEX and would take 8 weeks before it materialized. It is automatically, more or less shortly after you have met the spend, but you would never get a notice from HHonors nor AMEX. You just saw your status changed online a while after the $30K was met. If you met your spend in the March time frame, it could confuse HHonors the heck of it - that was what happened to us 2 years ago just before AMEX revamped the earning rules on the no fee HHonors.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 3:40 pm

Guys, this is the thread for the non-Reserve Citi HH Visa.

What would be the proper forum to REPLY with a question/answer like mine where I found people getting downgraded from Gold when they cancel the Reserve card to be very odd as it doesn't seem to happen with Surpass ?

Is it that big of a deal that a basically dead thread ( there were no posts for 10 days until this Gold talk started up and it actually started as Fast track ) gets a few questions about Hilton Gold Status which is of value to most people seeking out ANY Hilton Card ?
Old Aug 4, 2015, 4:53 pm
mia
Original Poster

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by flyer4512
...cancel the Reserve card to be very odd as it doesn't seem to happen with Surpass ?
The best thread for comparing Reserve with Surpass would be this one...

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-...amex-citi.html

...but conversations evolve and the direction isn't always obvious at the outset. We can move it if others would like to keep this thread focused.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by mia
The best thread for comparing Reserve with Surpass would be this one...

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-...amex-citi.html

...but conversations evolve and the direction isn't always obvious at the outset. We can move it if others would like to keep this thread focused.

But the question was asked in this thread so it's kind of hard to reply in a different forum/ thread and expect an answer. I had 2 options, answer and be off topic or ignore the question even though I was curious to the answer.

IMO questions about HH Gold ( via credit cards) are not that off topic in any Hilton CC thread.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 12:17 pm
Suspended

No current churnable links on this, right?
Old Aug 5, 2015, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by RamboAroundTheWorld
See wiki entry #2.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 12:58 pm

Not really but I'm sure someone will post that you can churn it every 18 months.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 9:45 pm
Suspended

Thanks guys. Getting harder and harder to do these damn AOR's.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 9:16 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Thanks guys. Getting harder and harder to do these damn AOR's.
I'm just back from Europe to find a cc app wasteland. All of my zombie links are dead. Going thru massive withdrawal.

DW and I can each get one more TYPs card. Based on recent comments on another thread, I guess we can upgrade our AMEX HH to Surpass for a measly 50K HH points, so that's two "free" (sic) nights at a mid-range Hilton for $75 a night. Maybe get approved for another Marriott card

Then we can start over again in 12 to 18 months...
Old Aug 6, 2015, 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by Brugge
I'm just back from Europe to find a cc app wasteland. All of my zombie links are dead. Going thru massive withdrawal.

DW and I can each get one more TYPs card. Based on recent comments on another thread, I guess we can upgrade our AMEX HH to Surpass for a measly 50K HH points, so that's two "free" (sic) nights at a mid-range Hilton for $75 a night. Maybe get approved for another Marriott card

Then we can start over again in 12 to 18 months...
I was almost all Hilton ( signature) and SW Companion Pass for the past few years so while I will miss the Signature I haven't had an AA or United card in years, as well as the Citi TYP and Hyatt. I never had the Reserve card and just got a Marriott Business card for 70K. I can still piece it all together as I have a 7 figure Hilton Balance but it's going to get tougher.

Wyndham has a new redemption for 15K points for any property, I grabbed a 45K card a few months before that deal was announced.

I noticed on the Surpass that you mentioned upgrading rather than getting a new Surpass ( which gives more than 50K). Is the reason for that you already had the Surpass and think you would get the 50K points via the upgrade from the no fee card but would be denied if you applied for the Surpass as a new card ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.