Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi Hilton Honors VISA (no annual fee version) [Ends Dec 2017]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 30, 2014, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
ALL Citi HHonors application links are now DEAD.

Citi's contract to issue Hilton co-branded cards ends December 31, 2017. Citi will sell most accounts to American Express. The criteria for determining which accounts are eligible to be sold are unpublished. Read Hilton FAQ: http://hiltonhonors3.hilton.com/en/e...-card-faq.html .
Print Wikipost

Citi Hilton Honors VISA (no annual fee version) [Ends Dec 2017]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2017, 9:38 pm

Family member applied this evening and got the exact same thing...pending with an application ID and message to call in. She called in was put on hold for a few minutes for application review, and then was approved. Her last Hilton Card (Reserve) was only 45 days ago! After approved rep, unsolicited, stated 40K HH points after $1K spend in 4 months.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 6:58 am

Programs: AA, HH, SPG, UA
Update:

After 5 days I received the You've been approved email for the 40k (w/o the 24mnth language) Hoping the letter says the same about the bonus.

Thanks SD Search for the tips!!

I would like to try and get a couple more before the end of the year, but I already have like 7 of these open from the past few years that I never bothered closing.

Is it recommended to go ahead an close the old ones in the next few weeks?

thanks!
Old Jun 8, 2017, 7:01 am

Originally Posted by express3
I would like to try and get a couple more before the end of the year, but I already have like 7 of these open from the past few years that I never bothered closing.

Is it recommended to go ahead an close the old ones in the next few weeks?
See wiki FAQ #4 .
Old Jun 8, 2017, 10:33 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Denied for 40k HHonors!

Originally Posted by diceman
I saw express3 get a pending decision this week. Any approvals this week for the 40k link w/o the 24-month wording? Unfortunately, I cancelled one of my 3 HHonors back in Feb of 2016 before this rule was implemented. Well below 5/24 for future Chase apps, and was thinking might as well add to my balance of Honors' points before Citi takes away all Hilton links. Thanks!
I applied Tuesday night and was denied for the first time ever (over 100 applications). Score of 825+, perfect credit, high income. Reasons were $0 revolving and/or installment balances.

I wasn't planning on applying for a card in the next month plus, so I didn't keep 10% of my balances until the statement date the last month or so. Luckily, this bonus wasn't that great and I find it comical that I finally got my first denial.

I called recon & there is nothing they can do per policy. HUCA, and same thing but rep is sending off to policy department as she stated it should of been approved but due to $0 balances per last credit report CITI can't reconsider it......

Last edited by diceman; Jun 8, 2017 at 12:30 pm
Old Jun 8, 2017, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I applied Tuesday night and was denied for the first time ever (over 100 applications). Score of 825+, perfect credit, high income. Reasons were $0 revolving and/or installment balances.

I wasn't planning on applying for a card in the next month plus, so I didn't keep 10% of my balances until the statement date the last month or so. Luckily, this bonus wasn't that great and I find it comical that I finally got my first denial.

I called recon & there is nothing they can do per policy. HUCA, and same thing but rep is sending off to policy department as she stated it should of been approved but due to $0 balances per last credit report CITI can't reconsider it......
See if the same reasons are given on the denial letter (snail mail) you're sent. That doesn't sound like a very valid reason, that sounds like some phone agent was guessing at the denial reason by reading off reasons why your credit score is "only" 825. (I've you've looked at your score online, you'll typically see similar stuff thrown out as to why your credit score is "not as high as it could be", even if it's well into the "Excellent" range.)
Old Jun 8, 2017, 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
See if the same reasons are given on the denial letter (snail mail) you're sent. That doesn't sound like a very valid reason, that sounds like some phone agent was guessing at the denial reason by reading off reasons why your credit score is "only" 825. (I've you've looked at your score online, you'll typically see similar stuff thrown out as to why your credit score is "not as high as it could be", even if it's well into the "Excellent" range.)
I agree although the reasons for denial on the phone application status line stated the same. I will update when i get the letter.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 7:16 pm

Applied for 40K , last HH card was ~60 days ago.

5 minute call to get approved

One thing was different, he texted a code to my cell phone to verify who I was.

I was approved for a Wyndham card about 30 minute prior to the HH.

Last edited by flyer4512; Jun 9, 2017 at 7:41 pm
Old Jun 13, 2017, 7:52 pm

I agree although the reasons for denial on the phone application status line stated the same. I will update when i get the letter.
I received the letter and it stated my application's score (820) was too low for approval because:
  • Your credit report reflects a lack of recent installment loan information
  • Your credit report shows no recent revolving balances.

How in the heck can an 820 be too low?!? Very good lesson & I knew better than to pay balances in full before statements, as you never know when an offer might tempt ya.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 7:59 pm

I received the letter and it stated my application's score (820) was too low for approval because:

How in the heck can an 820 be too low?!? Very good lesson & I knew better than to pay balances in full before statements, as you never know when an offer might tempt ya.
I pay balances in full often before they are due and never had a problem, in fact I just paid my Arrival, Citi HH and INK today and the statements have not closed
Old Jun 13, 2017, 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by flyer4512
I pay balances in full often before they are due and never had a problem, in fact I just paid my Arrival, Citi HH and INK today and the statements have not closed
I know over the years i have done the same. Although your Ink is a business card, so it wouldn't affect things anyways. I am really dumbfounded with an 820 score. Maybe it is due to not spending on my HHonors cards in 5-6 months. I am at a lost for words regarding their reasons for declining.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 9:31 pm

I know over the years i have done the same. Although your Ink is a business card, so it wouldn't affect things anyways. I am really dumbfounded with an 820 score. Maybe it is due to not spending on my HHonors cards in 5-6 months. I am at a lost for words regarding their reasons for declining.
Do what I always do on the rare occasion I don't get IA I apply for a different card right away, lol
Old Jun 14, 2017, 5:28 am

You can call the number on the letter and see if they can help, if not ask to talk to a supervisor.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How in the heck can an 820 be too low?!?
Without knowing your specifics, it's hard to say.

Obviously, if you have $50k of income and you were trying to apply for a $2 million loan, a score of 820 might be too low. I know you weren't to do that, but that's just to illustrate that it depends on how Citi views the risk of giving you card (based on who knows what?) that they might want an even higher score than 820, even though without that assumed risk they might not even care about a score of 760. But only Citi can tell you (and who knows if they will tell you) why they considered your application to be such high risk that 820 wasn't good enough in the case.

The other possibility, of course, is that they just made a mistake (but it's also possible that no one you've talked to at Citi has the authority to admit it). I ran into that at BofA once, where after giving me $17k-ish cL for several cards in a row, they suddenly gave me only $1.5k CL (and at BofA, that means a much smaller signup bonus !), and the next day called me to explain they'd made a mistake (but it took 2 months to "fix" it and give me the card that gave the full signup bonus). So if it's possible for BofA to make one-time mistake for someone who has almost as good credit as you and decide only $1500 of CL is good enough for me, and given that AFAIK Citi can't approve you for this HH Visa card with just $1500 CL, it's possible that Citi made a mistake too?

Anyway, I suggest you follow ninim2200's advice in the previous post about phone call and possible escalation, if you want to see if you can get Citi to tell you more.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Without knowing your specifics, it's hard to say.

Obviously, if you have $50k of income and you were trying to apply for a $2 million loan, a score of 820 might be too low. I know you weren't to do that, but that's just to illustrate that it depends on how Citi views the risk of giving you card (based on who knows what?) that they might want an even higher score than 820, even though without that assumed risk they might not even care about a score of 760. But only Citi can tell you (and who knows if they will tell you) why they considered your application to be such high risk that 820 wasn't good enough in the case.

The other possibility, of course, is that they just made a mistake (but it's also possible that no one you've talked to at Citi has the authority to admit it). I ran into that at BofA once, where after giving me $17k-ish cL for several cards in a row, they suddenly gave me only $1.5k CL (and at BofA, that means a much smaller signup bonus !), and the next day called me to explain they'd made a mistake (but it took 2 months to "fix" it and give me the card that gave the full signup bonus). So if it's possible for BofA to make one-time mistake for someone who has almost as good credit as you and decide only $1500 of CL is good enough for me, and given that AFAIK Citi can't approve you for this HH Visa card with just $1500 CL, it's possible that Citi made a mistake too?

Anyway, I suggest you follow ninim2200's advice in the previous post about phone call and possible escalation, if you want to see if you can get Citi to tell you more.
I appreciate the response and did call in, and talked with a supervisor from North Dakota. I previously failed to mentioned, I underwrote large commercial loans (up to $75 million) for 10 years so I am well versed with how credit works. I guess not credit cards

The supervisor said my declined application was a Citibank credit policy decision (credit report reflects a lack of recent installment loan information & credit report shows no recent revolving balances) and could not reconsidered. I find this very odd as my credit is excellent.

The supervisor stated a referral was sent to the "credit policy" department to review the application. He stated there was no phone number for that department and it could take 2-3 weeks. Citibank will call me with their decision. The whole thing just doesn't pass muster but oh well this bonus might not be worth the new account anyways. Citi losing Hilton in combination with AMEX's 1 bonus policy makes it tough to accumulate Hilton points w/o stays.

Last edited by diceman; Jun 14, 2017 at 7:53 pm
Old Jun 15, 2017, 1:29 pm

40k link no longer working - wonder if it's been pulled?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.