Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi Hilton Honors VISA (no annual fee version) [Ends Dec 2017]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 30, 2014, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
ALL Citi HHonors application links are now DEAD.

Citi's contract to issue Hilton co-branded cards ends December 31, 2017. Citi will sell most accounts to American Express. The criteria for determining which accounts are eligible to be sold are unpublished. Read Hilton FAQ: http://hiltonhonors3.hilton.com/en/e...-card-faq.html .
Print Wikipost

Citi Hilton Honors VISA (no annual fee version) [Ends Dec 2017]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2017, 4:15 pm

Programs: 747 Upper Deck QF J LAX-BNE; A380 SQ SuiteC+D SYD-SIN & SIN-HKG; 777 CX F HKG-JFK; Park Hyatt Sydney
Originally Posted by express3
thanks! I'll check it again. I also found it odd that I didnt receive any email regarding my application
Just call! There's nothing to worry about with Citi. Why are y'all telling this person to wait it out instead of calling? What am I missing? Please explain.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ed Janowsky
Just call! There's nothing to worry about with Citi. Why are y'all telling this person to wait it out instead of calling? What am I missing? Please explain.
Perhaps because the OP used a link in the Wiki which Citi wouldn't want to exist if they really knew it existed???

We don't know why the no-24-month-language links exist (is Citi creating them for some targeted purpose but it's "getting out", or is someone third-party hacking Citi to create them without Citi's blessing?). It's best not call attention to them.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 11:51 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
We don't know why the no-24-month-language links exist (is Citi creating them for some targeted purpose but it's "getting out",
Yes, these links are targeted links that citi uses to targets certain clients.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 12:11 am

I updated the wiki with a 50k link with 24m restriction since all the other links w/24 months are dead, this would be the best available link w/24m as far as i know.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Note that Citi's contract to issue Hilton co-branded cards ends in December, and they reportedly will migrate existing cards to another Citi product rather than sell the accounts to American Express.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ds-2018-a.html

Thanks for the heads up, I need to cancel all our Citi Hilton cards by November to be safe.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 12:51 pm

"Safe" from what?
Old Jun 6, 2017, 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by mikex163
"Safe" from what?
My guess... from a possible conversion to a TYP product which will reset that 24-month clock.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
I wouldn't necessarily expect they convert the no-fee to a TYP card. More likely they convert to the Double Cash - that's what they did with my AA Executive Card when I downgraded a couple years ago and ditto with my girlfriend when she downgraded her AA Plat last year after she switched to CSR.

I was actually quite happy about it since it avoided any 24 month issues and now that card just sits in a drawer - helping to keep my utilization low and length of history longer but no annual fee or other to worry about.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Duke787
I wouldn't necessarily expect they convert the no-fee to a TYP card. More likely they convert to the Double Cash - that's what they did with my AA Executive Card when I downgraded a couple years ago and ditto with my girlfriend when she downgraded her AA Plat last year after she switched to CSR.

I was actually quite happy about it since it avoided any 24 month issues and now that card just sits in a drawer - helping to keep my utilization low and length of history longer but no annual fee or other to worry about.
I hope that card gets out of the drawer at least once a year or so, because:
Old Jun 6, 2017, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by mikex163
"Safe" from what?

Any card they might put me into without a signup bonus
Old Jun 6, 2017, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyer4512
Any card they might put me into without a signup bonus
Is/was there a signup bonus ever for the Citi DoubleCash card (which some think is the most likely card that this no-AF Citi HH card will be converted to)? As far as I can tell from this thread:
there isn't one now and there never has been one.

So if, as some people predict, this no-AF Citi HH card gets converted to DoubleCash, rather than any TYP card, then what would be the worry (besides possibly winding up with cards you have no interest in)?

So I suggest for at least one of those cards you wait to see if there's news by November what's going to happen with them in 2018.

Meanwhile, even if Amex were to take it over, wouldn't that risk exactly the same thing, even worse (Amex is "once in a lifetime", not 24 months)? So what difference does it make whether they go to Amex or stay at Citi? In fact, if they stay at Citi but become DoubleCash, that seems "safer" than them going to Amex, no?
Old Jun 6, 2017, 6:03 pm
mia
Original Poster

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
No public offer, but at least one REPORT of a targeted offer.

There doesn't seem be a benefit to allowing Citi or American Express to issue any card for you without a new account bonus.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 6:21 pm

Is/was there a signup bonus ever for the Citi DoubleCash card (which some think is the most likely card that this no-AF Citi HH card will be converted to)? As far as I can tell from this thread:

So if, as some people predict, this no-AF Citi HH card gets converted to DoubleCash, rather than any TYP card, then what would be the worry (besides possibly winding up with cards you have no interest in)?

So I suggest for at least one of those cards you wait to see if there's news by November what's going to happen with them in 2018.

Meanwhile, even if Amex were to take it over, wouldn't that risk exactly the same thing, even worse (Amex is "once in a lifetime", not 24 months)? So what difference does it make whether they go to Amex or stay at Citi? In fact, if they stay at Citi but become DoubleCash, that seems "safer" than them going to Amex, no?
The HH cards are open now as to not reset the 24 month clock and some being so young. I go card free for 2 years at the end of December so I would rather eliminate all the cards I know I will never use. I will keep our HH cards until November as some are the new 40K cards without the 24 month language that have only been open a few months. My point was that I don't want these cards converted to any card that is not going to give me a bonus, Citi, Amex, whoever.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 8:09 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
40k (w/o 24-mo language) Approval Data Points

I saw express3 get a pending decision this week. Any approvals this week for the 40k link w/o the 24-month wording? Unfortunately, I cancelled one of my 3 HHonors back in Feb of 2016 before this rule was implemented. Well below 5/24 for future Chase apps, and was thinking might as well add to my balance of Honors' points before Citi takes away all Hilton links. Thanks!
Old Jun 6, 2017, 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by diceman
... Any approvals this week for the 40k link w/o the 24-month wording? ...
Just applied today. Went pending with an application ID and message to call in. Called them up, was put on hold for five minutes for application review, and then approved. Last HH no fee card was closed Dec '16 (last one opened was March '16).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.