Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi Hilton Honors VISA (no annual fee version) [Ends Dec 2017]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 30, 2014, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
ALL Citi HHonors application links are now DEAD.

Citi's contract to issue Hilton co-branded cards ends December 31, 2017. Citi will sell most accounts to American Express. The criteria for determining which accounts are eligible to be sold are unpublished. Read Hilton FAQ: http://hiltonhonors3.hilton.com/en/e...-card-faq.html .
Print Wikipost

Citi Hilton Honors VISA (no annual fee version) [Ends Dec 2017]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2017, 9:18 am
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by sdsearch
The one thing that's absolutely safe in 5/24 terms is just to close the Hilton cards! You can never apply for this card type from Citi again, so there's no 24 month issues to worry about either.
We dropped the credit line on each Hilton card a few weeks back. This weekend, both my husband and I closed our excess Hilton Visa cards. We each have one left. I'll wait and see what happens at the end of the year, but likely both of them will get closed as well. While these cards are fee free, once you get the initial bonus, there is no ongoing benefit to them. I'm more concerned to see what happens to the Hilton Reserve card that carries gold status.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 3:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Not sure what I will do with mine yet - only have the one no-fee Hilton Citi card. Now that I just got the Amex Surpass, I won't be using the Citi. Only had it about 2 years, not sure if I should just close it or stick it in a sock drawer never to be seen again
Old Jul 5, 2017, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bswiz
Not sure what I will do with mine yet - only have the one no-fee Hilton Citi card. Now that I just got the Amex Surpass, I won't be using the Citi. Only had it about 2 years, not sure if I should just close it or stick it in a sock drawer never to be seen again
If you want to keep your life simple, just close it. The sock drawer solution is complicated, because the card will automatically be replaced by something by early 2018 (and thus 'won't stay in the drawer"), and if you don't pay attention to what it is being replaced with, you may not like it. If you close it, that's the only way to end the story and not have to worry about what comes next.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 6:49 pm

If you want to keep your life simple, just close it. The sock drawer solution is complicated, because the card will automatically be replaced by something by early 2018 (and thus 'won't stay in the drawer"), and if you don't pay attention to what it is being replaced with, you may not like it. If you close it, that's the only way to end the story and not have to worry about what comes next.
Thanks - makes sense. I suppose I could wait and see what it will be replaced with, but I can't imagine it would be a card I'd really need. Maybe if I could PC it to a Costco card but no idea if that would even be possible. Actually I just remembered - my Citi Hilton card is my only Visa; I do need something new to use at Costco if I close it!!

Given that it's not a very old account I guess no major harm to average age of accounts part of credit score.

Last edited by bswiz; Jul 5, 2017 at 6:54 pm
Old Jul 5, 2017, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bswiz
Thanks - makes sense. I suppose I could wait and see what it will be replaced with, but I can't imagine it would be a card I'd really need. Maybe if I could PC it to a Costco card but no idea if that would even be possible. Actually I just remembered - my Citi Hilton card is my only Visa; I do need something new to use at Costco if I close it!!

Given that it's not a very old account I guess no major harm to average age of accounts part of credit score.
If it's that old and your only Visa, and since the Costco is also a Visa, no harm in trying to see if you can PC it to a Costco (and report back ).

Chances are it won't be replaced by another Visa automatically. If it stays with Citi, it's mostly likely to be replaced by an MC. If it goes to Amex, it'll obviously be replaced by a no-AF Hilton Amex.

So if you'd like to keep a Visa, might as well as try to see if you can PC to the Costco, assuming you have a paid Costco membership (since that's the requirement for making the Costco card no-AF).

Last edited by sdsearch; Jul 5, 2017 at 8:04 pm
Old Jul 6, 2017, 10:31 am

So if you'd like to keep a Visa, might as well as try to see if you can PC to the Costco, assuming you have a paid Costco membership (since that's the requirement for making the Costco card no-AF).
Completed a PC to the Costco Visa with no problem! Should have the new card in late August according to the agent on the phone.
Old Jul 9, 2017, 4:21 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond. National Biz Exec. AMX Plat. CSR. Bonvoy Brilliant. Delta Reserve.
Citi Hilton Mastercard

I was messaging with Citi today and they guy said that the Citi Hilton Visa is simply converting to Citi Hilton Mastercard. He said it would still have Hilton branding. I was going to PC to another card or close the account but I will keep this if the Hilton branding stays.

Has anyone else heard this? Thanks!
Old Jul 9, 2017, 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by pugsley21
I was messaging with Citi today and they guy said that the Citi Hilton Visa is simply converting to Citi Hilton Mastercard.
The agent is surely not correct on this.
Hilton has stated that Amex will have "exclusive rights to issue credit cards for Hilton...The arrangement takes effect Jan. 1, Hilton said Thursday in a statement."

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...n-credit-cards
Old Jul 9, 2017, 5:47 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum
I was messaging with Citi today and they guy said that the Citi Hilton Visa is simply converting to Citi Hilton Mastercard. He said it would still have Hilton branding. I was going to PC to another card or close the account but I will keep this if the Hilton branding stays.

I was messaging Citi a few minutes ago and asked about this. The rep had no idea what I was talking about. Would be good news though if true. I literally have one option now to pay my mortgage via Plastiq (IHG mastercard). Don't have an Amex product.
Old Jul 9, 2017, 6:35 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond. National Biz Exec. AMX Plat. CSR. Bonvoy Brilliant. Delta Reserve.
Originally Posted by muji
The agent is surely not correct on this.
Hilton has stated that Amex will have "exclusive rights to issue credit cards for Hilton...The arrangement takes effect Jan. 1, Hilton said Thursday in a statement."

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...n-credit-cards
That's what I saw and was shocked when he typed that. So weird. I am torn now on either closing it or PC to Costco card.
Old Jul 9, 2017, 6:45 pm

Programs: Navy A-4 Skyhawk, B727 FE/FO, S80 FO, B757/767 FO, B737 CA
Honestly, what difference does it make whether or not the no-fee Hilton card stays a Hilton card or not? It has the lowest earning rate of any Hilton credit card (the no-fee Amex makes 1 pt/ $ more). The great thing about this card was that we could churn it every 24 months. If we can't apply for it and get a sign up bonus, big whoop. I'll use my Amex Hilton Surpass on my next Hilton stay.
Old Jul 9, 2017, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's too early to know what this card is changing to! There has been no announcement yet at all from Citi (not even an announcement that it's going away AFAIK). The only announcement of the death of the Citi HH cards has been from Hilton, not Citi.

One rumor is that Citi HH accounts will be transferred to Amex the bank (which already issues HH cards and will become the only issuer of HH cards comes 2018). But that's just a rumor so far.

So anything any agent at Citi tells you about what's happening to this card is likely to be pure BS, because they don't know anything more than we do, and in many cases they actually know less than we do .
Old Jul 9, 2017, 9:00 pm

Programs: Delta, AA, BA, United, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond, SPG Marriott Gold, Sixt Platinum
Amex will have exclusive right to issue...

Maybe Citi will continue to support existing cards, but not issue any new ones.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 6:37 am

Originally Posted by fredc84
The great thing about this card was that we could churn it every 24 months.
The great thing about this card was that there were always links without the 24 month language, so you could churn it every 32 days.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 7:17 am

Programs: Navy A-4 Skyhawk, B727 FE/FO, S80 FO, B757/767 FO, B737 CA
Originally Posted by LWT3
The great thing about this card was that there were always links without the 24 month language, so you could churn it every 32 days.
LOL, true, but now all that is going away.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.