Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi Hilton Honors VISA (no annual fee version) [Ends Dec 2017]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 30, 2014, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
ALL Citi HHonors application links are now DEAD.

Citi's contract to issue Hilton co-branded cards ends December 31, 2017. Citi will sell most accounts to American Express. The criteria for determining which accounts are eligible to be sold are unpublished. Read Hilton FAQ: http://hiltonhonors3.hilton.com/en/e...-card-faq.html .
Print Wikipost

Citi Hilton Honors VISA (no annual fee version) [Ends Dec 2017]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2015, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Whatever is the case with Citi AA Plat cards, there is no conversion going on from Visa to MC that I've heard of for Citi no-AF HHonors cards, and there is no equivalent of "World" to "World Elite" going with Citi no-AF HHonors cards. And Citi no-AF HHonors cards are the subject of this thread. So no matter what the explanation about why the churning "loophole" with Citi AA Plat cards, I don't see what the explanation has to do with this card (and thus this thread).
You forgot there are still AA Visa cards being converted to AA MC by Citi. It has nothing to do with HHonors that Brugge mentioned. He referred to AA Visa to AA MC.

The discussion got mixed up in HHonors thread is because Flyin2 used the AA Plat card experience to show that might also work for HHonors on something similar but NOT the exact situation as you stated there is no conversion in HHonors cards.

Nonetheless, the real life Flyin2's experience has further proved that there is indeed a loophole exists when Citi converted you. Just that we dont know whether there is a limited timeframe or an ongoing loophole.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 6:20 am

There appears to be a Hilton Hhonors card (75,000) that doesn't have the 18 month language (neither the landing page nor the application page). Additionally, the application is not the same as the application page found in the wiki.
https://www.citi.com/credit-card-det...-cards&afc=14Z
Old Aug 18, 2015, 6:53 am

Originally Posted by searchingforawards
There appears to be a Hilton Hhonors card (75,000) that doesn't have the 18 month language (neither the landing page nor the application page). Additionally, the application is not the same as the application page found in the wiki.
it does have the 18 months language under additional info.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 6:54 am

Originally Posted by searchingforawards
Click on "Additional Information":
Hilton HHonors Bonus Points offer not available if you have had a Citi Hilton HHonors Visa Signature Card account that was opened or closed in the past 18 months.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 8:22 am

Has anyone been able to change the Hilton acct number associated with the Citi card? I have an old Hilton account, and Citibank created a new Hilton acct for me and linked the new Hilton acct to my Citi card. I tried to link the Citi card to my old Hilton acct, called Citibank multiple times, still was not able to change it!
Old Aug 21, 2015, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by adobe
Has anyone been able to change the Hilton acct number associated with the Citi card? I have an old Hilton account, and Citibank created a new Hilton acct for me and linked the new Hilton acct to my Citi card. I tried to link the Citi card to my old Hilton acct, called Citibank multiple times, still was not able to change it!
Yes I was able to merge the 2 accounts by calling HHonors CS. I forgot to give my existing HHonors # when I signed up for the credit card and they created a new account for me. I too thought citi card would fix it for me but it was HHonors CS who merged the two accounts for me.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 8:38 am

Yes, the HHonors CS can merge the two accounts. I called and had a three-way conversation with both Citi and HHonors CS on the phone. The problem is that after the merge, if Citibank does not change the HHonors acct number that is associated with your Citibank card, how are you going to receive the points earned from the Citicard? All HHonors CS does is to close down the HHonors acct that was created by the Citi, HHonors CS can not change the HHonors acct number that is linked to your Citicard.

Originally Posted by uvasag
Yes I was able to merge the 2 accounts by calling HHonors CS. I forgot to give my existing HHonors # when I signed up for the credit card and they created a new account for me. I too thought citi card would fix it for me but it was HHonors CS who merged the two accounts for me.

Last edited by adobe; Aug 21, 2015 at 8:44 am
Old Aug 21, 2015, 8:54 am

Originally Posted by adobe
Yes, the HHonors CS can merge the two accounts. I called and had a three-way conversation with both Citi and HHonors CS on the phone. The problem is that after the merge, if Citibank does not change the HHonors acct number that is associated with your Citibank card, how are you going to receive the points earned from the Citicard? All HHonors CS does is to close down the HHonors acct that was created by the Citi, HHonors CS can not change the HHonors acct number that is linked to your Citicard.
I didn't realize that. I met the minimum spend rqmt and as soon as the bonus points posted merged the 2 accounts. I'm not using that card anymore. Sorry.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 12:48 pm

If you upgrade this card to the Reserve card, do you get the $95 fee charged immidiately?
The Gold status starts before the fee?
Old Aug 25, 2015, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Blueskyheaven
If you upgrade this card to the Reserve card, do you get the $95 fee charged immidiately?
The Gold status starts before the fee?
How recently did you get the card? Are you interested in resetting the 18-month clock on it? Converting is a closing of the old card and an opening of the new card, any closing of this card is expected to reset the 18 month clock. Now, if you only opened it a month ago and did the spend and got the bonus posted that fast, and you only lose a month by resetting it now, then that might not so bad. But did you consider this fact?

Ie, because of these 18 month since last "open or close" barriers, converting Citi cards may not longer be a good idea, if you're interested in applying for the one your convert from again in the future. I would say you want to keep this card open, especially given that it has no annual fee, until you're ready to apply for the next one (18 months after you opened this one), and only cancel it immediately after you're approved for the next one of the same type.

A cancellation (or a conversion) will only avoid resetting your 18 month clock if it's done close to the same moment as your next card of the same is opened.

Meanwhile, if you convert to Reserve, you don't get 2 free weekend night certificates. If you apply "from scratch" for Reserve, you do. So yet another reason to not convert, no?
Old Aug 26, 2015, 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
How recently did you get the card? Are you interested in resetting the 18-month clock on it? Converting is a closing of the old card and an opening of the new card, any closing of this card is expected to reset the 18 month clock. Now, if you only opened it a month ago and did the spend and got the bonus posted that fast, and you only lose a month by resetting it now, then that might not so bad. But did you consider this fact?

Ie, because of these 18 month since last "open or close" barriers, converting Citi cards may not longer be a good idea, if you're interested in applying for the one your convert from again in the future. I would say you want to keep this card open, especially given that it has no annual fee, until you're ready to apply for the next one (18 months after you opened this one), and only cancel it immediately after you're approved for the next one of the same type.

A cancellation (or a conversion) will only avoid resetting your 18 month clock if it's done close to the same moment as your next card of the same is opened.

Meanwhile, if you convert to Reserve, you don't get 2 free weekend night certificates. If you apply "from scratch" for Reserve, you do. So yet another reason to not convert, no?
I am not trying to save my inquiry for another Citi card. I could convert my no fee HIlton to the Reserve but I know I get no bonuses if I do it
Old Aug 26, 2015, 2:11 pm

I am not trying to save my inquiry for another Citi card. I could convert my no fee HIlton to the Reserve but I know I get no bonuses if I do it

Then why would you ? Basically you wold be paying $95 for Gold Status vs Gold status and 2 free nights if you apply from scratch.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by flyer4512
Then why would you ? Basically you wold be paying $95 for Gold Status vs Gold status and 2 free nights if you apply from scratch.
Wow, my bad. I meant I am trying to SAVE my inquiry for another citi card
Old Aug 26, 2015, 5:00 pm

Wow, my bad. I meant I am trying to SAVE my inquiry for another citi card
To each his own but I had 23 ( maybe 24) Hilton Visas during the churn, every one was instant approval.

You can get 2 Citi cards every 65 days.........IMO upgrading is a waste and also may start the 18 month timer on the RESERVE card and reset it on the Signature Card.

I don't consider saving a citi app anything worth losing a bonus over when you can easilly get both.............Not one Citi card is churnable in under 18 months so eventually you will run out of Citi cards before the 18 months is up.

If you want a different citi card now get it but I don't see any reason to upgrade unless you value Gold very highly

Last edited by flyer4512; Aug 26, 2015 at 5:10 pm
Old Sep 1, 2015, 1:56 pm

$50 credit

I signed up for the card when the bonus was 50k points + $50 spend at Hilton. Can anyone confirm if purchasing a gift card from any hilton hotel for $50 will trigger the credit? Does the purchase need to be at hotel reception or a website purchase will suffice? Thanks for the help.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.