Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi Hilton Honors VISA (no annual fee version) [Ends Dec 2017]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 30, 2014, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
ALL Citi HHonors application links are now DEAD.

Citi's contract to issue Hilton co-branded cards ends December 31, 2017. Citi will sell most accounts to American Express. The criteria for determining which accounts are eligible to be sold are unpublished. Read Hilton FAQ: http://hiltonhonors3.hilton.com/en/e...-card-faq.html .
Print Wikipost

Citi Hilton Honors VISA (no annual fee version) [Ends Dec 2017]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2015, 2:16 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA (Gold), Alaska MVP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, SPG Gold,
Originally Posted by hpfiend
Last month, CITI closed both my Citi Hilton HHonors Visa Signature cards that were opened in 2012 due to over 25 months of inactivity.

Given it was CITI who closed them, am I subject to the 18 month rule?

Thanks!
+1
Old Aug 10, 2015, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by Brewer20
I agree it seems a long shot.

The only thing that may give it hope is that I got to that link not by the landing page with the 18 month language, but rather through the per-qualified offers page. Again that link was not a pre-qual offer, it was one of the other cards Citi thought I might be interested in.
We got a citi platinum after seeing it on that page (but applied through a different link) and got the bonus. You need to judge if it's worth the risk. It was for us. We have each applied for different cards (than each other) over the years and they only mentioned cards that we'd never had (except the platinum). So it seemed like a good risk to take. Of course, YMMV. Let us know how it goes if you do apply.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Flyin2
We got a citi platinum after seeing it on that page (but applied through a different link) and got the bonus. You need to judge if it's worth the risk. It was for us. We have each applied for different cards (than each other) over the years and they only mentioned cards that we'd never had (except the platinum). So it seemed like a good risk to take. Of course, YMMV. Let us know how it goes if you do apply.
Exactly what you meant? You applied a Platinum HHonors card or a Visa Signature HHonors card?

What is / was your previous HHonors card(s)?

The above information is relevant - because if you have a Visa Signature before, and now apply a Visa Plat, they are different products so you qualify for the bonus. Or Viice Versa.

The issue we are discussing here is, most people have had the Visa Signature before and currently, when the offers now are all Visa Signature, too.

Is there an HHonors Plat card? IIRC the Plat card is only given out when one does not qualify for the Visa Signature version. You mean there is actually a Plat HHonors card offer?
Old Aug 10, 2015, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Do you mean the Citi AA Platinum, or something else? Do you realize you're in the thread for the Citi no-fee HHonors Visa?
Old Aug 10, 2015, 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Do you mean the Citi AA Platinum, or something else? Do you realize you're in the thread for the Citi no-fee HHonors Visa?
Yes I do. I was merely trying to point out, with my AA plat example, that if an offer is listed on the citi website as something you might be interested in(not prequalified for) then in my experience, citi will give you the bonus (I had previously gotten AA platinum in Sept 2014 and they gave me the bonus again). Brewer20 was talking about a Hilton card and I related my CITI experience. Sorry to upset everyone.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 2:56 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Yes I do. I was merely trying to point out, with my AA plat example, that if an offer is listed on the citi website as something you might be interested in(not prequalified for) then in my experience, citi will give you the bonus (I had previously gotten AA platinum in Sept 2014 and they gave me the bonus again). Brewer20 was talking about a Hilton card and I related my CITI experience. Sorry to upset everyone.
Could you post a link to the page you are referring to? When I try to google this, I get 2 different pages. One specifies "prequalified", and requires you to log in with name, address, last 4 of SS #. A different one just listed several cards (none of which I have ever had) without asking for any id at all. So I'm not sure that last one is actually meant for me, but it does list both the AA Gold and AA Plat MC as cards I might be interested in. Since I have never opened an AA Plat MC, but have had several AA Plat Visa cards replaced by Citi without my requesting it, I don't know if I qualify to apply or not.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by Brugge
I haven't been able to access the landing page. But it seems strange that the landing page would have the 18 months language, and the app itself would only say:

"This offer is only valid for new accounts", which is the old, churnable language for Citi apps.
When you log into citi.com it shows the 75K offer............the app page doesn't say anything about 18 months.............but the landing page does. Same with the landing and app pages in the wiki

https://online.citi.com/US/Welcome.c

https://www.citicards.com/cards/cred...D7&sc=FPSHCB75

If someone wants to try the pre qualified link go for it, if you don't get a letter saying you will get 75K chances are you won't so no need to make the spend, all you risk is a HP and possibly delaying your next citi app
Old Aug 11, 2015, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Let me try to understand what you are telling us - You had an AA Plat card since Sept 2014 - then you applied another AA Plat card via the Citi site when it showed you what cards you might be interested in, AFTER you input your personal data. Then you applied thru that offer shown on Citi site, and you got the bonus again. Was there no 18 months language in both the landing page and the app page?

Is the above described what has happened?
Old Aug 11, 2015, 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
Let me try to understand what you are telling us - You had an AA Plat card since Sept 2014 - then you applied another AA Plat card via the Citi site when it showed you what cards you might be interested in, AFTER you input your personal data. Then you applied thru that offer shown on Citi site, and you got the bonus again. Was there no 18 months language in both the landing page and the app page?

Is the above described what has happened?
Yes, except I applied through an FT link after I saw the AAplat card listed there (after entering my data).(Their site was only offering 30k, and the FT links are 50k). It's just a way to check what Citi thinks you can get points for as none of the cards I have were listed (except the plat) and none of the cards my spouse has were listed (and we have different cards). So that is our deduction. May be helpful for those who have had their cards upgraded, changed, down graded or somehow converted etc to see if they are eligible for that card again. Since I didn't apply there, I never checked the landing page, etc.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, except I applied through an FT link after I saw the AAplat card listed there (after entering my data).(Their site was only offering 30k, and the FT links are 50k). It's just a way to check what Citi thinks you can get points for as none of the cards I have were listed (except the plat) and none of the cards my spouse has were listed (and we have different cards). So that is our deduction. May be helpful for those who have had their cards upgraded, changed, down graded or somehow converted etc to see if they are eligible for that card again. Since I didn't apply there, I never checked the landing page, etc.
And are you sure your previous AA Plat MC card wasn't converted from World to World Elite between the time you got it in Sep 2014 and when you applied for the next one? That conversion from World to World Elite is a known loophole for circumventing the "open" part of the 18 month clock (at least for cards opened back then; we're still trying to figure out if it's a dependable loophole for cards opened recently).
Old Aug 11, 2015, 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
And are you sure your previous AA Plat MC card wasn't converted from World to World Elite between the time you got it in Sep 2014 and when you applied for the next one? That conversion from World to World Elite is a known loophole for circumventing the "open" part of the 18 month clock (at least for cards opened back then; we're still trying to figure out if it's a dependable loophole for cards opened recently).
Yes it was converted. That's why this is a nice way to check if you can get the bonus again for a card that has been changed/converted/upgraded, etc. Hopefully to avoid hard pulls for no reason.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 5:32 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton - Diamond, IHG - Spire Amb
Yes it was converted. That's why this is a nice way to check if you can get the bonus again for a card that has been changed/converted/upgraded, etc. Hopefully to avoid hard pulls for no reason.
I went through the process of seeing "what other cards you may be interested in"

and got:

we couldn't match your records to a Pre-Qualified credit card offer. See below for another card you may like.

Which showed the citi plat aa 30k offer. I can't find for sure that our previous citi plat aa select cards were ever converted (applied 2/2015 and closed by us in april or may).

Not sure whether to use the FT 50k link and hope that they had been converted to world elite or to use this offer displayed by citi.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 5:51 am

Originally Posted by Carl Christensen
I went through the process of seeing "what other cards you may be interested in"

and got:

we couldn't match your records to a Pre-Qualified credit card offer. See below for another card you may like.

Which showed the citi plat aa 30k offer. I can't find for sure that our previous citi plat aa select cards were ever converted (applied 2/2015 and closed by us in april or may).

Not sure whether to use the FT 50k link and hope that they had been converted to world elite or to use this offer displayed by citi.
I used the FT link (#11 if it matters). I'd try it if you can fit it into your Citi schedule. Seems like when they upgrade to world elite, that is now the product you have opened and closed. When you apply for this, it's a world again. At least that is what I am guessing. But then again, this is Citi, so who knows.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 9:38 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
I used the FT link (#11 if it matters). I'd try it if you can fit it into your Citi schedule. Seems like when they upgrade to world elite, that is now the product you have opened and closed. When you apply for this, it's a world again. At least that is what I am guessing. But then again, this is Citi, so who knows.
Maybe, maybe not. Not enough data points for us to know anything for sure. Much less that a "loophole" is involved.

Is it possible that World/World Elite has nothing to do with it? Perhaps when Citi involuntarily converts a card from a Visa to a MC, they do not consider that a "new account opened" at all. So maybe anyone who has had a Visa converted to a MC, but hasn't actually applied for a MC, can get a sign up bonus for a MC.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Brugge
Maybe, maybe not. Not enough data points for us to know anything for sure. Much less that a "loophole" is involved.

Is it possible that World/World Elite has nothing to do with it? Perhaps when Citi involuntarily converts a card from a Visa to a MC, they do not consider that a "new account opened" at all. So maybe anyone who has had a Visa converted to a MC, but hasn't actually applied for a MC, can get a sign up bonus for a MC.
Whatever is the case with Citi AA Plat cards, there is no conversion going on from Visa to MC that I've heard of for Citi no-AF HHonors cards, and there is no equivalent of "World" to "World Elite" going with Citi no-AF HHonors cards. And Citi no-AF HHonors cards are the subject of this thread. So no matter what the explanation about why the churning "loophole" with Citi AA Plat cards, I don't see what the explanation has to do with this card (and thus this thread).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.