Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi Hilton Honors VISA (no annual fee version) [Ends Dec 2017]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 30, 2014, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
ALL Citi HHonors application links are now DEAD.

Citi's contract to issue Hilton co-branded cards ends December 31, 2017. Citi will sell most accounts to American Express. The criteria for determining which accounts are eligible to be sold are unpublished. Read Hilton FAQ: http://hiltonhonors3.hilton.com/en/e...-card-faq.html .
Print Wikipost

Citi Hilton Honors VISA (no annual fee version) [Ends Dec 2017]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2015, 6:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by felicity5
I got the letter from my app 6 days ago for my husband and $50K bonus was confirmed.
So happily the rep was wrong when she said we'd only get 40K.
If you find a way to get $50,000 worth of hotel rooms with just the 50k points you get, please do let us know!
Old Jul 4, 2015, 7:38 am

My wife and I were both approved today with credit lines of $22,000. That's the same CL we've received the past few times we've applied, so we meet the spend and promptly lower the CL to $1,000.

For my last app (on 6/6) I went with the Reserve card because I want gold status and the weekend night certificates for a trip to London next month, but now it's back to the no-fee version for a while.
Old Jul 4, 2015, 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by Superorb
Woohoo, $50,000 bonus!!!!
My mistake,
Wishful thinking, maybe.....
Old Jul 4, 2015, 9:54 pm

Applied on 6/29 and received the letter indicating the 50K bonus - yay!!
Similar to the poster above, we will be churning this until it dies. Hopefully not anytime soon!
Old Jul 5, 2015, 7:21 am

Programs: 25 million points to burn!
Dead. R.I.P.

Last edited by Preacher7; Jul 5, 2015 at 7:37 am
Old Jul 5, 2015, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by Preacher7
Dead. R.I.P.
Yes, it appears to be an ex-offer. At least it lived a long and productive life. I'm also glad we got one last one in a week ago. (Hasn't even arrived yet.)
Old Jul 5, 2015, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Dead. R.I.P.
Both the 50k ("frequently churnable") and the 60k (with 18 month language) appear dead. Only the 40k (which also has 18 month language) which is the "public" offer (not in the wiki, but easy to find by googling "Hilton HHonors Visa") seems alive this morning.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Both the 50k ("frequently churnable") and the 60k (with 18 month language) appear dead.
The 60K online app has been dead for some time, as noted in the wiki, but when last I checked you could still apply over the phone.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by beltway
The 60K online app has been dead for some time, as noted in the wiki, but when last I checked you could still apply over the phone.
Ooops. But time to check that again?

And I notice the wiki dates the death of the 60k online app at May 5. The 50k online app died today, with is July 5. Does Citi always kill these on the 5th of a month?
Old Jul 5, 2015, 9:03 am

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
If it's dead, I'm glad I got one last week! Shoot, I was planning a few more churns with this. But it's been very, very good to me!
Old Jul 5, 2015, 9:32 am

Programs: HH LTD, AA LTG
It was sure nice over the years, while it lasted, Thanks Citi!
Old Jul 5, 2015, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Exclamation the rules for when to cancel this card have just changed!

Remember, if you just got a new one, and you have old ones, either close the old ones you have right now, or decide to keep them for 18+ months (until after you can apply for the next one).

For those not used to the 18 month rules, they're from either the last open or the last close, so you want to make your close of any old card as close in time as possible to the open of a new card, so that there's not much difference in time from 18 months since last open and 18 months since last close.

Closing an HH Visa now at any time other than right after getting a new one will reset your 18 month clock, making it even longer before you can get another one of these cards.

(That's all assuming the 18 month language stays there for the next 18 months, of course.)
Old Jul 5, 2015, 10:54 am

Programs: 25 million points to burn!
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Remember, if you just got a new one, and you have old ones, either close the old ones you have right now, or decide to keep them for 18+ months (until after you can apply for the next one).

For those not used to the 18 month rules, they're from either the last open or the last close, so you want to make your close of any old card as close in time as possible to the open of a new card, so that there's not much difference in time from 18 months since last open and 18 months since last close.

Closing an HH Visa now at any time other than right after getting a new one will reset your 18 month clock, making it even longer before you can get another one of these cards.

(That's all assuming the 18 month language stays there for the next 18 months, of course.)
Since they're no-fee cards, though, keeping them open seems a good option, right? Could drop the credit lines, though, I guess.

Question: Lately, recently, several members of our churn team had Citi close their HHonors cards automatically for lack of use, without them requesting the closure. So...do y'all think those involuntary closures will result in the resetting of the 18 month clock?
Old Jul 5, 2015, 11:48 am

Programs: HH LTD, AA LTG
Since they're no-fee cards, though, keeping them open seems a good option, right? Could drop the credit lines, though, I guess.
That's an option. Some folks post that they keep all no fee cards active due in part to build credit history and show less credit card utilization.

Question: Lately, recently, several members of our churn team had Citi close their HHonors cards automatically for lack of use, without them requesting the closure.
This is why I choose not to keep cards open any longer than I have too if I no longer have a use for it. I have enough cards as is to manage by way of putting some spend on throughout the year to avoid auto-closure by the bank.

So...do y'all think those involuntary closures will result in the resetting of the 18 month clock?
Your guess is as good as mine or anyone else here on FT. My guess is that it would have the same affect for the 18 month clock, and would look like a bigger red flag if a manual review were conducted.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 12:14 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by beltway
I wonder if this is still active? I can't apply yet due to 8/65, but I so want to get one in a few weeks. If anyone checks on this, please let us know either way.

Also, if it's available over the phone, might it be available in a branch? Applying over the phone is such a PITA, what with them having to read the full T/Cs to you, which takes forever.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.