Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi Hilton Honors VISA (no annual fee version) [Ends Dec 2017]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 30, 2014, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
ALL Citi HHonors application links are now DEAD.

Citi's contract to issue Hilton co-branded cards ends December 31, 2017. Citi will sell most accounts to American Express. The criteria for determining which accounts are eligible to be sold are unpublished. Read Hilton FAQ: http://hiltonhonors3.hilton.com/en/e...-card-faq.html .
Print Wikipost

Citi Hilton Honors VISA (no annual fee version) [Ends Dec 2017]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2015, 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by bswiz
I must be doing something wrong. I added *one* card recently and my FICO just dropped ~50 points according to the free score provided by Barclays Aviator. Something else must have happened around the same time, right?

I did load up the Aviator the past 2 months with high balances to get the bonus miles. Maybe that played a part. Edit: Paying it off each month, of course.
Even 3-5 cards for me only drops my score 5-7 points. But 50?! That happens when you max out your cards and don''t make monthly payments. Any public records? Divorce? Collections? Bankruptcies?
Old Jun 10, 2015, 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by groundzero2121
when does the citi hilton bonus post? after statement closes?
My statement closed yesterday...........50K in account today
Old Jun 10, 2015, 5:15 pm

I must be doing something wrong. I added *one* card recently and my FICO just dropped ~50 points according to the free score provided by Barclays Aviator. Something else must have happened around the same time, right?

I did load up the Aviator the past 2 months with high balances to get the bonus miles. Maybe that played a part. Edit: Paying it off each month, of course.

I would pull your credit report............credit scores don't drop 50 points for opening cards.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 5:59 pm

That seems like a lot even for what I'm about to say, but credit utilization accounts for 30% of your score. Rather than run a balance up close to the limit and then pay it off in full after the bill is issued, you should pay down the balance before the statement closing date.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 8:54 pm

Programs: AA Plt, FB Silver
Does the new card bonus typically apply when downgrading another Citi card to this card? I'm trying to decide whether to cancel or downgrade a high-AF card and for 50k HHonors points and lifetime Silver, it seems like a no-brainer to downgrade to this product.

Thanks!
Old Jun 11, 2015, 2:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In my experience, having more than about 30% utilization on any particular card can lower your score a bit, and there are even greater hits at some higher percentages. I had read this somewhere, and then I had a balance transfer that was using a bit more than 30% (or whatever it is exactly), and when I made an effort to pay it down in one payment to the point where the remaining balance went definitely below 30%, all of a sudden the next month or so my score went up, with no other significant changes in my credit.

Thus on my most recent Citi AA card, where I have to spend $3k within 3 months but they only gave me $5k CL, I'm paying off my balance a couple times a month to keep it below $1500 balance at any point.

And btw because of that bonus on the Aviator card, I asked Barclay for a credit limit increase around the time I signed up for the bonus. I didn't ask for anything drastic (fearing they'd decline me if I asked for too much), but enough so that I can charge somewhat more a month and still stay below 30% of my CL.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 2:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CJ99
Does the new card bonus typically apply when downgrading another Citi card to this card? I'm trying to decide whether to cancel or downgrade a high-AF card and for 50k HHonors points and lifetime Silver, it seems like a no-brainer to downgrade to this product.
All new card bonuses only apply when applying "from scratch" for a new card, not with downgrades or upgrades. Furthermore, the 50k or 60k bonus only applies if you apply through the correct link! (The most commonly advertised bonus for this card is only 40k!)

A few banks (but not Citi that I've heard) may offer separate bonuses for certain upgrades (not sure about downgrades), but even when they exist those are completely separate and often not the same amount or the same terms.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 3:09 am

Programs: Spg Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by sdsearch
In the past, it could take 3 to 6 months for credit limit from closed cards to be available for new card applications. Reducing credit limit on open cards seems to react faster, but I'm not sure how much faster (the CL I got on my last AA card did not imply that the CL reduction I did about a week or two earlier was available for another card yet).
Thanks . FYI I got an email on the two accounts I dropped to $5 K CL that my cash limit was reduced to $1 K .
Old Jun 11, 2015, 8:38 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by LWT3
That seems like a lot even for what I'm about to say, but credit utilization accounts for 30% of your score. Rather than run a balance up close to the limit and then pay it off in full after the bill is issued, you should pay down the balance before the statement closing date.
Thanks LWT3 and others who've commented. The high usage on the Aviator (~50% one billing period, paid off in full when the statement was issued) is the only thing I can think would be a negative. I've been 800+ for the past several months and now I'm around 760-770 according to Citi and Barclay free scores. According to CreditKarma my AAoA is a bit over 3 years which it says is a negative also.

I don't want to derail this thread so I'll take any further questions to another forum (assuming there is a general credit score-type forum).
Old Jun 11, 2015, 2:52 pm

Is Citi issuing new cards ?

I got a message when I logged in to CITI today saying to activate me new card.

When I clicked on activate card The last 4 #'s on the card they want me to activate match a card ( my oldest Hilton) that I already have.

I have not applied for any new Cit cards in months and I have never received a message when I log in to activate a new card in the past.

I can't call right now so I have a SM to Citi.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 3:39 pm

Programs: HH LTD, AA LTG
Originally Posted by flyer4512
Is Citi issuing new cards ?

I got a message when I logged in to CITI today saying to activate me new card.

When I clicked on activate card The last 4 #'s on the card they want me to activate match a card ( my oldest Hilton) that I already have.

I have not applied for any new Cit cards in months and I have never received a message when I log in to activate a new card in the past.

I can't call right now so I have a SM to Citi.
I don't know, but you say it is your oldest. Is it about to expire or does it have a chip? My newest does have a chip, perhaps they are upgrading your card to a chip (if it does not already have one)?
Old Jun 11, 2015, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by isle-hawg
I don't know, but you say it is your oldest. Is it about to expire or does it have a chip? My newest does have a chip, perhaps they are upgrading your card to a chip (if it does not already have one)?
I just looked , Card expires 8/15 and no chip.............makes sense now.

I am always worried about identity theft
Old Jun 11, 2015, 10:28 pm
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Here bswiz, check out this thread. You are not alone, and it is not uncommon for Fico scores to drop when you first start with the miles and points earning strategies. It will bounce back.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...o+score+killed
Old Jun 16, 2015, 8:24 am

Programs: Far too many
Inactivity

Originally Posted by PETERPNYC
Citi just closed down 2 HH no AF cards of mine for inactivity on 6/7 . They said after 25 months they do so for security purposes . Suggest people place a small spend on older cards to keep them live , or close them out .

Don't think it hurts my CR saying closed by bank , hopefully it might say for
Inactivity not for any bad reason. Anyone have this happen yet ?

Still have 2 HH personal plus one BIZ and the 10.5 K CL I lost from 2 closings , plus lowering CL by 15 K on 6/9 should help for auto approval . Do you think the reduction is reflected on Citi side , it shows on my online account?

Can I apply today or wait longer for the reduced CL to work its way through the system , so I can get auto approved ?
Thanks
Years ago, Citi closed one of my cards for inactivity. They then refused to open a new card until after a laborious process of cleaning up the record to indicate that their closure did not indicate any undue credit risk.

This took many calls and several weeks.

Since then, I have kept all cards, not only Citicards, active.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 4:39 pm

50K link still working, just got my fiance another HH card..........# 7 I believe..........amateur, lol

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.