FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Citi | ThankYou Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-thankyou-rewards-739/)
-   -   Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-thankyou-rewards/1632562-citi-aa-platinum-gold-business-cards.html)

slhansen219 Feb 17, 2016 6:36 pm

A friend of mine wants to get an AA card. I know the obvious differences in the signup bonus and minimum spending.

My question is... Do you need to be in a higher income bracket to get Platinum over Gold. She is retired but has a decent retirement income.

sdsearch Feb 17, 2016 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by wwhh85 (Post 26201975)
Seeing that the W-WE conversion might not work anymore, are there any recent data points that use pre-qualified offers? (even better, are there any recent data points that use pre-qualified offers from others and still successfully get the bonus?)

Think about it. Recent data points were that the W->WE conversion was still working. Only one data point from today implies it may have just disappeared. Thus about a week ago (around whenever MaxVO applied) everything might have changed. Thus if you can't rely on most recent data points for W->WE, why assume you can rely on recent data points for anything else? Other loopholes (related to pre-approved) might well have disappeared at the same moment that W->WE apparently went away.

Thus I think you might have to wait for new datapoints (from about today onward) for them to be "recent enough".

wwhh85 Feb 17, 2016 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch (Post 26202420)
Think about it. Recent data points were that the W->WE conversion was still working. Only one data point from today implies it may have just disappeared. Thus about a week ago (around whenever MaxVO applied) everything might have changed. Thus if you can't rely on most recent data points for W->WE, why assume you can rely on recent data points for anything else? Other things might well have changed at the same moment that W->WE apparently went away.

Thus I think you might have to wait for new datapoints (from about today onward) for them to be "recent enough".

Definitely fair point. I was just thinking if the pre-qualified route could be another way to churn the card, and it seems less discussed in this forum. That said, given that the pre-qualified offer has no mention of the 18 month, it would seem a little more reliable? Please correct me if the above statement is inaccurate; I am new to this and eager to learn from the more experienced.

AugustWest Feb 17, 2016 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by wwhh85 (Post 26201975)
Seeing that the W-WE conversion might not work anymore, are there any recent data points that use pre-qualified offers? (even better, are there any recent data points that use pre-qualified offers from others and still successfully get the bonus?)

Yes. 60K bonus received last month from PQ offer to DW. DW has since gotten other offers that I will soon try to churn. No 18 month language in the offer.

AugustWest Feb 17, 2016 7:46 pm

I should also add that the 50K business offer has been very good to me. Churnable following the wiki rules.

freeflyin Feb 17, 2016 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by Willbur (Post 26201921)
Has anyone had their card convert from W to WE wording in their account in the past week (i.e. gone from Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World MasterCard to Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select? My most recent card usually would have converted by now but it hasn't.

My most recent card( 12/28) has not yet converted and it has never taken this long on my previous cards.

I was planning to hold off on any other Citi AA apps,but since Chase seems to be limiting new cards(5/24), I may continue as long as this Citi loophole exists

PaulMSN Feb 17, 2016 10:46 pm

I just received a WE conversion card for my first AA MC from June 2013. There was no warning that I was getting it and I wasn't paying attention so I don't know when the name changed online. So now I have 3 WE Plat MCs to get rid of. I went online hoping that my latest MC had converted, too, but it's still World.

kyroadrunner Feb 18, 2016 6:30 am

The statement on my wife's new World card just closed. Both of our cards were converted back in early January. Both of our statements show we earned the 50k bonus. Only the spend miles and extra 10k from the offer match have posted to our AA accounts. I guess we will both have to wait another month for the 50k to post to each. I hope recent reports rumoring the demise of the loophole are no coinciding with bonus miles not being awarded.

epaairnow Feb 18, 2016 6:56 am

Originally Posted by freeflyin (Post 26202475)
My most recent card( 12/28) has not yet converted and it has never taken this long on my previous cards.

Same boat in terms of waiting---my #4 World MC 12-31 application date (card received 1-9-16) has not converted yet nor has wife's #4. Probably nearing the longest gap so far...even though one of mine took about this long (2 statements).

Hoping for reports of conversions soon!

NTP9766 Feb 18, 2016 7:50 am

My 2nd card's 2nd statement closed 2 days ago (1st statement included both the extra 10k miles that Citi matched from the 60k offers and the spend miles). Today, AA shows both my spend miles and 50k bonus miles in my account.

NTP9766 Feb 18, 2016 8:00 am

With regards to the loophole, here's a post from Reddit's churning thread:

My 3rd Citi AA card was upgraded to WE in late January. I received the WE card and activated it around Feb 3. I applied for my 4th Citi AA card on Feb 8. The welcome letter did not mention the bonus. I just received the card today. The Account Information sheet (to which the card was attached) has the following language: "Our records show that you are not eligible for the bonus offer based on a recent opening or closure of your Citi / AAdvantage Platinum Select Card." The online bonus tracker does not appear at the "Your Miles Summary" page.

From this I conclude that I will not get the bonus on this card. With the scattered reports of Citi shutdowns, I am hesitant to send a secure message to ask for confirmation for fear of alerting anyone to look more closely into my Citi accounts. I also don't think I need much more confirmation.

Citi AA Card summary:

1st Citi AA card: Approved 2/18/15. Received 50k bonus.

2nd Citi AA card: Approved 8/20/15. Received 50k bonus.

3rd Citi AA card: Approved 12/7/15. Received 50k bonus, matched to 60k.

4th Citi AA card: Approved 2/8/16. No bonus attached per multiple sources.

ETA: All cards are still open and none were product changed.
I also came across this:

Here's two data points: wife and I just received our first Citi AA platinum cards (applied on 2/7 and 2/8). Both have the 50k bonus attached (SM confirmed + bumped to 60k) but neither had the 50k bonus language anywhere in our welcome letter / packet. So it's quite possible they have removed it from the welcome letter

kyroadrunner Feb 18, 2016 9:14 am

Originally Posted by NTP9766 (Post 26204714)
My 2nd card's 2nd statement closed 2 days ago (1st statement included both the extra 10k miles that Citi matched from the 60k offers and the spend miles). Today, AA shows both my spend miles and 50k bonus miles in my account.

Thank you for the info. Now I just wait until the second statement. We are flying to China to adopt our son, and I really need these points! Thanks for all of the help.

Ed Janowsky Feb 18, 2016 9:44 am

Originally Posted by NTP9766 (Post 26204759)
With regards to the loophole, here's a post from Reddit's churning thread:

Quote:
My 3rd Citi AA card was upgraded to WE in late January. I received the WE card and activated it around Feb 3. I applied for my 4th Citi AA card on Feb 8. The welcome letter did not mention the bonus. I just received the card today. The Account Information sheet (to which the card was attached) has the following language: "Our records show that you are not eligible for the bonus offer based on a recent opening or closure of your Citi / AAdvantage Platinum Select Card." The online bonus tracker does not appear at the "Your Miles Summary" page.

From this I conclude that I will not get the bonus on this card. With the scattered reports of Citi shutdowns, I am hesitant to send a secure message to ask for confirmation for fear of alerting anyone to look more closely into my Citi accounts. I also don't think I need much more confirmation.

Citi AA Card summary:

1st Citi AA card: Approved 2/18/15. Received 50k bonus.

2nd Citi AA card: Approved 8/20/15. Received 50k bonus.

3rd Citi AA card: Approved 12/7/15. Received 50k bonus, matched to 60k.

4th Citi AA card: Approved 2/8/16. No bonus attached per multiple sources.

ETA: All cards are still open and none were product changed.
I also came across this:

removed it from the welcome letter

I also came across this.
Quote:
Here's two data points: wife and I just received our first Citi AA platinum cards (applied on 2/7 and 2/8). Both have the 50k bonus attached (SM confirmed + bumped to 60k) but neither had the 50k bonus language anywhere in our welcome letter / packet. So it's quite possible they have removed it from the welcome letter

It would be nice if we knew what app links were used and if they were auto-approved VS human intervention. As I recall when the double browser trick was ending three years ago, auto-approvals worked a few more days than recon calls.

Superorb Feb 18, 2016 9:56 am

Damn, and I was going to apply yesterday for another AA card too :( Poor timing on my part.

NTP9766 Feb 18, 2016 10:32 am

Originally Posted by Ed Janowsky (Post 26205338)
It would be nice if we knew what app links were used and if they were auto-approved VS human intervention. As I recall when the double browser trick was ending three years ago, auto-approvals worked a few more days than recon calls.

I agree, and honestly don't recall seeing that information in most of the posts on Reddit. On my 3rd Platinum card, I actually used the pre-approved link, figuring it was the best option since I could see the landing page, the bonus, etc. Who knows if it actually makes a difference.