FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Citi | ThankYou Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-thankyou-rewards-739/)
-   -   Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-thankyou-rewards/1632562-citi-aa-platinum-gold-business-cards.html)

fromfall98 Jan 6, 16 10:10 am

Originally Posted by MarkMColo (Post 25968013)
Did you look at the back of the card?

Yes, even that does not have "world" or "world elite" :-(

MarkMColo Jan 6, 16 10:54 am

Originally Posted by fromfall98 (Post 25972100)
Yes, even that does not have "world" or "world elite" :-(

That's very strange. All of the Citi MasterCards I have show "World" or "World Elite" above the MasterCard logo and hologram.

khochurn Jan 6, 16 11:51 am

Originally Posted by g8trgr8t (Post 25969254)
did they send you a new card and how long after you opened your second account did they convert it?

Yea, they sent me a new card. My second card got converted to WE 45 days after applying.

starbuk Jan 6, 16 1:07 pm

What is the minimum amount of credit required to keep a Platinum World Elite card open? As in, if I lower my limit what is the lowest amount that it could be lowered to.

sdsearch Jan 6, 16 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by MarkMColo (Post 25972372)
That's very strange. All of the Citi MasterCards I have show "World" or "World Elite" above the MasterCard logo and hologram.

And not just Citi. Every MC in my wallet has one or the other, except for a Diners Club USA charge card (from Harris/BMO), which has neither.

At Citi, are all the lowest MC cards "World", or is there something lower than World (for people who "don't qualify for" a World)? Over at Visa, below Visa Signature there's a Visa Platinum Plus (BofA Alaska card gives 25k miles bonus for the former but only 5k bonus if you get the latter), and that makes me wonder if there's a Visa Platinum (Minus) below the Visa Platinum Plus? And, if so, is there something equivalent below MC World?

Electroman Jan 6, 16 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch (Post 25973206)
And not just Citi. Every MC in my wallet has one or the other, except for a Diners Club USA charge card (from Harris/BMO), which has neither.

At Citi, are all the lowest MC cards "World", or is there something lower than World (for people who "don't qualify for" a World)? Over at Visa...

I'm not sure about Citi's offerings, but for MC in general, World Elite>World>Platinum>Gold>....

invalyd Jan 6, 16 1:29 pm

I was approved the Citi Plat World in Oct 2014 and was upgraded to World Elite in early 2015. I then closed it before the AF was due in Oct 2015.

Am I eligible to receive another bonus?

sdsearch Jan 6, 16 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by starbuk (Post 25973119)
What is the minimum amount of credit required to keep a Platinum World Elite card open? As in, if I lower my limit what is the lowest amount that it could be lowered to.

If you need no credit limit at all, just SM them to reduce the credit limit to the lowest it can be, then you'll find out.

I've heard (and experienced) that it can be (temporarily) detrimental to your credit score to have more than 30% of the your credit limit used on any particular card in any particular month. So I generally don't lower to less than $3k if I've got close to $1k in charges that are not paid off yet.

Keep in mind that if the card started out with, say, for example, $11k of CL, and you lower it to $3k vs lowering it to $2k, there's not much difference between those. What's signficant is that you lower it by many thousands.

Also, keep in mind that it can take (many?) weeks before the CL you lowered becomes available for a new card. So it may be better to lower to a less drastic degree sooner (while you're still doing the minimum spend) rather than wait until the last minute to lower it the most possible (in one step). To that end, I lowered by last WE to $6k first, and then when I had less than $1k of charges left, I lowered it again to $3k. If the lowering to $3k was "too soon" before my next W app, at least the lowering to $6k made a couple months earlier should help.

duranza Jan 6, 16 2:07 pm

How soon after application and approval does the 2nd card show up in my account?

Denver Enzo Jan 6, 16 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by starbuk (Post 25973119)

They will lower it to $2,000, but if the line is lower (wife was approved at $1,500) it can stay below $2,000.

When I want to lower them, I just ask in the SM. Turns out the HHonors Reserve card can be lowered to $300! Yes Three Hundred!

KennyBSAT Jan 6, 16 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by duranza (Post 25973541)
How soon after application and approval does the 2nd card show up in my account?

As soon as you receive the card and link it to your online account, it'll show up there. Citi does not add new card accounts, they let/make you do it.

kramer327 Jan 6, 16 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by kramer327 (Post 25968627)
In November I waited for my new approved AA Citi Plat before calling in to Citi for the retention on my old one. Surprisingly I didn't get a stmt credit offer this year so I asked to downgrade to Citi Dividend thinking my recent application was going to reset my 18 mos anyways. Catching up on this thread I see I've made a mistake since now this week in the mail I've received the World Elite upgrade card on the new AA Citi Plat. I understand the downgrade on my old Citi plat to Citi Dividend is essentially a reset action.

My question is this... I have a letter in my Citi account referring to the downgrade from AA Plat to Dividend stating "This change will take effect on January 22, 2016. At that time we'll send you a letter to confirm the change, and until then, you can continue to use your existing card." It then says at the end of the letter "if you decide you don't want the Citi Dividend World Mastercard account, call us by January 21, 2016 and we'll cancel your request".

Any thoughts on if I call in and cancel this product change request that I will have saved myself from an 18 mo reset? Or at least, as long as I follow the other Citi rules, maybe slip in one last app before I crawl into an 18 mo hole after 1/22/16?

I called Citi today. They explained there was no product change action since my request in November and that it doesn't actually go through until 1/21/16 when it would have changed to the Citi Dividend I had selected previously. So affirming the letter I had received. Basically they give the time for account holder to review new disclosures and decide if they indeed want the switch. I asked them in a couple different ways trying to find out if there was any kind of system switch that had occurred on the backend. They reassured no change had happened yet. Hopefully true. So now I'll try the Citi AA Plat later this month and see if indeed I dodged an 18-month-reset bullet.

PaulMSN Jan 6, 16 7:37 pm

I just got the 60K offer in the mail. I was about to apply again anyway, since they converted my last World to WE recently. Too bad I didn't get this before that conversion.

Compfreak Jan 6, 16 7:49 pm

Does anyone know if the AA Business Card is churnable?Does it fall under the 18 month rule? New users only (as stated in the wiki)? What's actually enforced?

khochurn Jan 6, 16 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by khochurn (Post 25966708)
Has anyone seen this error? A system error has caused a delay in processing your application. Be assured that we have received it and there is no need to resubmit. We will contact you at the mailing address you provided as soon as it is processed. Thank you!

I called tonight to the status application line to shuffle credit around and got approved. The rep said that because I have received the 50k offer on a different card (was converted to WE), I would not receive it on this card. I am not sure how that's possible since both of my cards got WE upgrades.

I'll see what the welcome letter says...