FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Citi | ThankYou Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-thankyou-rewards-739/)
-   -   Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-thankyou-rewards/1632562-citi-aa-platinum-gold-business-cards.html)

phant0m Feb 15, 2016 10:34 am

Finally got my WE card after 2-3 ish weeks of them telling me they sent it. I will probably reapply for the AA Platinum after my credit report refreshes.

bobert24 Feb 15, 2016 11:14 am

Originally Posted by gizayabasu (Post 26188643)
Yeah, it's just that the strange thing is that my statement said accounted for both the spend and bonus miles, which were sent to AA, yet the only thing that's reported on both Citi and AA's end are the spend miles. My previous experience was that both the spend and bonus were reported on the same day. I'll obviously wait to account for usual delays, but I just thought it was strange that they did report points, but not the entire balance of points I was to get for that statement.

In normal circumstances, there would be no rush for the miles, but I'd like the miles to make an F booking before the devaluation.

There were some reports a month or two back (I was one of them) of people's spend miles posting when their statement closed, but not their bonus miles. It ended up being related to the timing of the W->WE conversion. I believe it was something along the lines of "if your statement with the bonus posts at the same time that your W->WE conversion is initiated, your bonus will be delayed until your next statement." This is exactly what happened to me - the bonus points showed on my statement as reported to AA, but only the regular spend points posted at that time. The bonus actually posted to my AA account on my next statement.

Two things to note:
1. Citi doesn't always generate statements when there's no activity on an account. I don't know if it would affect the bonus posting, but to be safe, make sure you have at least 1 transaction during that second statement period.
2. Since our understanding of the timing of W->WE conversion is questionable at best, there's not a foolproof way to time your bonuses to prevent this in the future. Probably not really worth trying.

You can ask Citi to change your statement closing date so you get the miles sooner, but it almost certainly won't take effect until the following statement cycle, which would do you no good.

bobert24 Feb 15, 2016 11:17 am

Originally Posted by Ed Janowsky (Post 26180983)
I applied on Feb 3 and was approved on Feb 5. My welcome letter stated the 50K bonus. By first week of Feb, do you mean it could have been Feb 6 or 7? I'm trying to figure out if the loophole may be closing. Can you be more specific?

Another important piece of data we need to collect when we start looking at this is which link they used. It's not super likely, but it's possible that some are behaving differently than others.

Ed Janowsky Feb 15, 2016 12:43 pm

Yeah I thought about that last night. I totally agree.

Happy Feb 15, 2016 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by bobert24 (Post 26188936)
There were some reports a month or two back (I was one of them) of people's spend miles posting when their statement closed, but not their bonus miles. It ended up being related to the timing of the W->WE conversion. I believe it was something along the lines of "if your statement with the bonus posts at the same time that your W->WE conversion is initiated, your bonus will be delayed until your next statement." This is exactly what happened to me - the bonus points showed on my statement as reported to AA, but only the regular spend points posted at that time. The bonus actually posted to my AA account on my next statement.

Two things to note:
1. Citi doesn't always generate statements when there's no activity on an account. I don't know if it would affect the bonus posting, but to be safe, make sure you have at least 1 transaction during that second statement period.
2. Since our understanding of the timing of W->WE conversion is questionable at best, there's not a foolproof way to time your bonuses to prevent this in the future. Probably not really worth trying.

You can ask Citi to change your statement closing date so you get the miles sooner, but it almost certainly won't take effect until the following statement cycle, which would do you no good.

Citi does not generate a statement if there is no transaction and that transaction has to be a CHARGE.

I just found out that DH's HH card did not have a statement for Feb 2nd closing - no PDF to download. The only activity in that cycle was to pay off the Jan statement balance. On top of that, the payment activity does NOT even show up in the Account Activity screen at all because the sequence of statements stopped at Jan statement, no Feb statement ever generated despite the payment was made on Jan 18. The "Since Last Statement" starts the count from Feb 2nd. So the ONLY PROOF of the payment on Citi side, is in the Payment History which it only keeps ONE page online (or a limited number of displays but it definitely is not going by how far back).

You need a statement to kick out the bonus to AA side, therefore make one purchase to generate the statement.

Happy Feb 15, 2016 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by bobert24 (Post 26188952)
Another important piece of data we need to collect when we start looking at this is which link they used. It's not super likely, but it's possible that some are behaving differently than others.

Originally Posted by Ed Janowsky (Post 26189374)
Yeah I thought about that last night. I totally agree.

I believe 4d has been mentioned here? Need to go back and reread the details.

The definite answer might be the online Tracker, as well as an email that comes a couple weeks after activation, reminds you to earn your bonus.

Ed Janowsky Feb 15, 2016 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by Happy (Post 26189389)
The definite answer might be the online Tracker, as well as an email that comes a couple weeks after activation, reminds you to earn your bonus.

Thanks Happy! I agree that the online tracker and the reminder email are great confirmers, but we've confidently relied on the welcome letter for personal cards since as far back as the end of the executive churning days. Are you suggesting we may no longer be able to rely on that letter?

Ed Janowsky Feb 15, 2016 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by ninim2200 (Post 26185538)
I understand there are mixed reports here and there discussing getting the bonus or not on a W-WE cases, so I went ahead and took one for the team and applied for another card, I will update once I receive the letter or the card.

Which link did you use? I may try it with a different one. The only hold up is my vague recollection of someone saying they were instantly denied because of the two apps in 60 days rule and one of the apps wasn't even an app for a credit card but rather an app for a Citigold account. I only have one credit card app in the last 65+ days but I have also opened the Citigold account.

Happy Feb 15, 2016 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by Ed Janowsky (Post 26189867)
Thanks Happy! I agree that the online tracker and the reminder email are great confirmers, but we've confidently relied on the welcome letter for personal cards since as far back as the end of the executive churning days. Are you suggesting we may no longer be able to rely on that letter?

No. My thought is, if the letter works the same way as we know it, the tracker would not show for those whose letters missing the all important language. If the tracker still shows and email reminder still comes, then we do not know what happens to the Approval Notice letter.

Let's hope those who got the "wrong wording" letters would see the tracker. Else there would be something else going on that we need to dig deeper (such as which links used for the application) before we could come to any kind of conclusion.

Superorb Feb 15, 2016 4:15 pm

There has never been bonus points mentioned on the letter for Biz cards. Maybe Citi is using that one for some personal accounts?

LWT3 Feb 15, 2016 4:53 pm

So . . . it's unclear if the loophole is alive or dead, correct? I'll be ready to apply for my wife in a few days.

Happy Feb 15, 2016 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by Superorb (Post 26190376)
There has never been bonus points mentioned on the letter for Biz cards. Maybe Citi is using that one for some personal accounts?

Originally Posted by LWT3 (Post 26190516)
So . . . it's unclear if the loophole is alive or dead, correct? I'll be ready to apply for my wife in a few days.

Until those who received letters without the coveted language have received their physical cards therefore they can register the cards online and be able to see if the tracker is there, we have no idea of what the current situation is.

savedbyhim01 Feb 15, 2016 7:06 pm

Where would I find the online tracker? I applied on 1/26. I did not see the welcome letter as a relative received the card for me. A previous card had been converted to WE before I applied for this. So far I can't find any tracker in the online account and am not sure if I am looking in the right place. Should I chat or SM Citi to ask about the bonus? I definitely need to find out if I am elligible before completing the spend.

Edit: I just found the tracker in my reward details. Seems everything is in order as of 1/26 application.

arsenalman Feb 15, 2016 7:41 pm

I still have my three year old Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® Visa and was planning on signing up for another one as I needed the miles. Read through wiki about the 180 days rule. I did notice while I went through About 20 pages of conversation that Happy was told to cancel his old Visa card Asap if he wanted to be able to churn the MC. Wouldn't the Visa and MC be two separate products?

ninim2200 Feb 15, 2016 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by Ed Janowsky (Post 26189963)
Which link did you use?.

i have used link 4d.