FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Citi | ThankYou Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-thankyou-rewards-739/)
-   -   Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-thankyou-rewards/1632562-citi-aa-platinum-gold-business-cards.html)

mamak04 Feb 18, 2016 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by Happy (Post 26207282)
What did Citi say about the "error"?

Any AA miles you earned, be it spend or bonus, would NOT be in your Citicard account until AFTER the statement closed. If you close your account within < 1 cycle period, meaning statement is not even closed, you forfeit all the miles earned from spending, let alone a bonus...

Have you read the fine prints?

That Citi made an error (their side) in approving me for the business card and they are forced to close my newest business card account. At the end of the conversation, the Citi representative said that she will be making phone calls to other cardholders with the same situation as mine... She mentioned about the 18 months timeline (I had opened the first CitiBusiness less than 1 year), but later said that it came from the Personal Cards, not Business Cards.

And, here's the wordings regarding the Bonus Miles from one of the wiki-links for the CitiBusiness application...

BONUS MILES
American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles typically will appear as a bonus in your AAdvantage® account 8—10 weeks after you have met the purchase requirements. Miles may be earned on purchases made by primary and employee cardmembers. Miles earned will be posted to the primary cardmember's AAdvantage® account.

ninim2200 Feb 18, 2016 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by fredc84 (Post 26207512)
.... The letter that came with the card said "earn 60,000 miles by spending $3K in 3 months" and the little mile tracker is showing on her account with "spend $3K by May 24th" to get the bonus.

We'll see if we really get the miles after the spend.

You will get the miles after you meet the spending, the letter and the online tracker will guarantee this.

StartinSanDiego Feb 18, 2016 6:00 pm

FWIW, my vintage 2008 & 2012 Visas were just converted to WE MC's. I had another one that converted last summer. I still have an Amex that's tied into one of the ones that just converted. It's a "fee free Amex as long as you have the Visa card open". I wonder if I will get new T&C's for the Amex?

jrjcopp Feb 18, 2016 8:06 pm

I applied on a 60K offer February 8 using a code in a mailer sent to another member of my family at my address. Pretty sure there was no reference to 18 months on the mailer. Did not read the terms online. Message to call with application ID. Did so and was approved.

Letter references bonus. Added the card to my online account. Bonus tracker is there.

I had just closed an AA card that was opened January 2015 as a World MasterCard. At some point long ago it was converted a World Elite card.

bobert24 Feb 19, 2016 7:24 am

Originally Posted by loardnikon (Post 26207234)
On mobile, actually on an American flight that's pushing back from the gate, and (I think) first post over here, so please excuse any errors.

I'm the user over at Reddit in question. The link I used was from Citi's website. That is, I did NOT follow a link from here for my 4th card.

For the 4th card, I was approved after a recon call to reallocate credit. (I have since edited the post at Reddit to add this).

Please let me know if I missed anything else.

Thanks for coming over to the [light|dark] side to provide this data point. A little communication between two good communities is really helpful in a situation like this.

bobert24 Feb 19, 2016 7:27 am

Originally Posted by mamak04 (Post 26207706)
That Citi made an error (their side) in approving me for the business card and they are forced to close my newest business card account. At the end of the conversation, the Citi representative said that she will be making phone calls to other cardholders with the same situation as mine... She mentioned about the 18 months timeline (I had opened the first CitiBusiness less than 1 year), but later said that it came from the Personal Cards, not Business Cards.

And, here's the wordings regarding the Bonus Miles from one of the wiki-links for the CitiBusiness application...

BONUS MILES
American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles typically will appear as a bonus in your AAdvantage® account 8—10 weeks after you have met the purchase requirements. Miles may be earned on purchases made by primary and employee cardmembers. Miles earned will be posted to the primary cardmember's AAdvantage® account.

This is unusual. Can you provide a basic timeline of your past (~2 years or so) Citi card applications and/or closures? How long after your application & approval did you receive this phone call?

bobert24 Feb 19, 2016 7:29 am

One more datapoint we need to be gathering on anybody who applies for this card:
Did you get instant approval, or did you have to call? If you had to call, did you actually have to call recon, or was it the number where they just put you on hold for "2-3 minutes" at a time, and eventually approve you without having to reallocate credit or ask any real questions?

EDIT: Or maybe not. I was pulling some data points about this from Reddit, and it doesn't seem to make a difference. People who were auto-approved both got and didn't get the bonus, and people who had to call both got and didn't get it. It may still be worth tracking, but it doesn't seem to be definitive by any means.

NTP9766 Feb 19, 2016 7:32 am

Originally Posted by bobert24 (Post 26210474)
One more datapoint we need to be gathering on anybody who applies for this card:
Did you get instant approval, or did you have to call? If you had to call, did you actually have to call recon, or was it the number where they just put you on hold for "2-3 minutes" at a time, and eventually approve you without having to reallocate credit or ask any real questions?

For my case (on my 3rd Platinum card, all with the 50k bonus), my first two cards were instant approvals, while the 3rd card I had to call Citi because they wanted to know if I wanted to move around credit to give me a higher limit (limit was approved at $17.5, they wanted to know if I wanted it at $19k; said no).

bobert24 Feb 19, 2016 7:54 am

Originally Posted by NTP9766 (Post 26210489)
For my case (on my 3rd Platinum card, all with the 50k bonus), my first two cards were instant approvals, while the 3rd card I had to call Citi because they wanted to know if I wanted to move around credit to give me a higher limit (limit was approved at $17.5, they wanted to know if I wanted it at $19k; said no).

Thanks. I'm not sure why Citi is so interested in giving slightly higher CLs than they could have auto-approved you for these days - they did the same thing to me not long ago. You weren't calling recon, just the application line, correct? The one Citi put on the screen at the end of your application, saying "call this number now"?

Credit where it's due, I just realized that Ed beat me to the punch on requesting this data point.

Originally Posted by Ed Janowsky (Post 26205338)
It would be nice if we knew what app links were used and if they were auto-approved VS human intervention. As I recall when the double browser trick was ending three years ago, auto-approvals worked a few more days than recon calls.

NTP9766 Feb 19, 2016 7:58 am

Originally Posted by bobert24 (Post 26210597)
You weren't calling recon, just the application line, correct? The one Citi put on the screen at the end of your application, saying "call this number now"?

That's correct, yes.

spidy1 Feb 19, 2016 8:01 am

Applied for Business version about 10 days ago. Citi is so slow. Got welcome letter yesterday and no mention of spend bonus. bummer. Will end up closing that card after confirming that it indeed does not have any bonus.

AugustWest Feb 19, 2016 8:09 am

Originally Posted by spidy1 (Post 26210623)
Applied for Business version about 10 days ago. Citi is so slow. Got welcome letter yesterday and no mention of spend bonus. bummer. Will end up closing that card after confirming that it indeed does not have any bonus.

I do not believe that business cards ever have bonus language in the letter.
Just call a rep and confirm.

spidy1 Feb 19, 2016 8:11 am

Originally Posted by AugustWest (Post 26210667)
I do not believe that business cards ever have bonus language in the letter.
Just call a rep and confirm.

Great..Thanks. There is hope.

AugustWest Feb 19, 2016 8:20 am

Originally Posted by spidy1 (Post 26210673)
Great..Thanks. There is hope.

I would bet that you're fine. I think approval = bonus. I do not think you can be approved with another business card open.

schrute Feb 19, 2016 9:21 am

Is the W->WE loophole still working? Conflicting reports, one data point, in the past few days indicating that peeps who converted aren't getting it again...

I'm guessing with Citi not allowing cc funding anymore, they're shutting down all ways to get extra points.