FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Citi | ThankYou Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-thankyou-rewards-739/)
-   -   Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-thankyou-rewards/1632562-citi-aa-platinum-gold-business-cards.html)

D93 Dec 31, 2015 4:11 am

Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards.

Citi confirmed via SM that my card was converted to WE, any need to wait for the new WE card to come in the mail or i can apply for a W right now?

epaairnow Dec 31, 2015 7:07 am

Originally Posted by D93 (Post 25939632)
Citi confirmed via SM that my card was converted to WE, any need to wait for the new WE card to come in the mail or i can apply for a W right now?

I am exactly in the same situation. Citi said via SM that card will be mailed soon. I am thinking of pulling the trigger to try because I have some big spend items for mid-January coming up...and with new cards taking 7-10 days I am getting antsy.

People say wait until new WE comes in and activate it to be totally safe...but since Citi says you have WE and no longer W cards in their system (just not entirely sure if it means all Citi systems including application process/checks)...it seems plausible.

epaairnow Dec 31, 2015 9:36 am

Datapoint regarding waiting to apply before getting WE in mail

As a quick follow-up to my original post:

3rd World card converted to WE on 12-22 (did secure message to Citi on 12-30-15 - confirmed WE and card will be mailed soon). I noticed name change in myciti.com around Christmas time with no email or notice.

Datapoint - Citi system shows all WEs for me, yet new World Elite card not mailed yet...and thus not activated.

Applied today using link 14 (link 13 did not work - 404--oops notice on citi.com) and instantly approved for new World card #4.

So it looks like you can start cycle again without receiving physical new WE card since it can take some time for Citi to actually mail it after converting you (weeks).

freeflyin Dec 31, 2015 11:00 am

Originally Posted by epaairnow (Post 25941426)

3rd World card converted to WE on 12-22 (did secure message to Citi on 12-30-15 - confirmed WE and card will be mailed soon). I noticed name change in myciti.com around Christmas time with no email or notice.

Datapoint - Citi system shows all WEs for me, yet new World Elite card not mailed yet...and thus not activated.

Applied today using link 14 (link 13 did not work - 404--oops notice on citi.com) and instantly approved for new World card #4.

So it looks like you can start cycle again without receiving physical new WE card since it can take some time for Citi to actually mail it after converting you (weeks).

I did something similar,took a chance and recently applied for #3(using 60K mailer for another family member). Instantly approved with a large CL. Card #2 was converted sometime last week without any notification. I some larger spending upcoming and want to get the 3K spent quickly.

I am hoping that I didn't jump the gun,but should know shortly when the letter arrives confirming the bonus.

D93 Dec 31, 2015 11:20 am

Did you confirm the bonus on card #4?

D93 Dec 31, 2015 11:22 am

Originally Posted by freeflyin (Post 25941871)
I did something similar,took a chance and recently applied for #3(using 60K mailer for another family member). Instantly approved with a large CL. Card #2 was converted sometime last week without any notification. I some larger spending upcoming and want to get the 3K spent quickly.

I am hoping that I didn't jump the gun,but should know shortly when the letter arrives confirming the bonus.

PUTPAC and ask a rep to confirm it?

Happy Dec 31, 2015 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by codenameXXX (Post 25938365)
I was actually planning to apply for the DoubleCash card. I did not know that the AAdvantage card can be downgraded to it. It should be a great combination with my SoftServe for easy cashback. Thanks for the suggestion!

Edit: Just called their CS. I was told that AAdvantage card can only be converted to different Advantage products but not the Citi Double Cash card. Is this correct? I found several posts on reddit saying that this was possible a few months ago. Has anyone had success in with this product conversion recently?

Your AA card needs to be at least one year old to be eligible to convert to Non-AA cards. Is it one year old yet?

Originally Posted by MadMadso (Post 25938523)
I called this month, and asked if I had any (retention) offers on the account. They said no, and I asked to have the card downgraded to the NAF 2x cash card. He transferred me and they converted it. I have only had the card a few weeks, so I haven't checked my credit report yet, but they called it a conversion. I'd HUCA.

Your card was 12 months old when you asked for conversion. AFAIK cards below 12 months old are not eligible for conversion because of C.A.R.D. Act prevents banks to change T&Cs on existing cards in its first year, despite in this case it is from a fee card (first year fee waived notwithstanding) to a no fee card. The reward structure changes too, and that is prohibited by the Act. It does not matter the change is requested by the customer, banks just dont want to get into trouble with the government regulation bodies when they are already being fined by compliance failures.

Happy Dec 31, 2015 2:01 pm

Getting approval does NOT mean you will get the bonus! The proof is in the letter that comes afterward. Though if things remain unchanged, then your No.4 is after all cards converted to WE, the No.4 should get the bonus.

Originally Posted by freeflyin (Post 25941871)

If you applied BEFORE the Card No.2 converted to WE, you still have a W at the time you apply the No.3... Unless the 60K invitation does not have the 18 months clause and Citi system does not match recipient of the mailer with the actual applicant...

Again, getting approval does NOT mean getting the bonus. That is why people try to be more cautious to make sure a win instead of a loss.

Originally Posted by D93 (Post 25941982)
Did you confirm the bonus on card #4?

Originally Posted by D93 (Post 25941993)
PUTPAC and ask a rep to confirm it?

Calling does not ensure the eligibility of bonus. The reps can only see which offer you applied thru. The reps do NOT see whether you are eligible for the bonus or not - it is determined by the system. That is WHY the Letter has so much importance. You will only know by the wording on the letter whether you would receive bonus or not.

Personally I would not put any big spend on the card UNTIL I receive the letter with the coveted words. There are enough preceding reports in both Exec thread and HHonors thread MONTHS AGO that getting the card does NOT mean getting the bonus, confirmed by the phone reps nonetheless. If the letter that comes without mentioning the bonus, you will NOT get the bonus. period. In fact that is how the people churning Exec cards find out what is the SURE tell about the eligibility of bonus. And such evidence is again proven by the 75K HHonors card offer a few months ago.

Why after a year of such Citi practice (the Approval Letter) people still are not sure what the mechanism is? :confused:

waggles Dec 31, 2015 2:48 pm

Just a data point: signed up for my second Plat card around thanksgiving and got the 50k bonus. It was recently upgraded to the WE so i applied and was accepted for my 3rd AA plat. I had to call into citi but the rep did not mention my other Plat cards and told me I would receive the bonus. Received the letter and confirms I will receive the bonus. The loophole is alive and well.

epaairnow Dec 31, 2015 2:52 pm

Quick update, new WE card in mail today. Did not confirm bonus as automatic approval but havent confirmed bonus yet and all letters have had 50k mention. Willl report if contrary this time

ftbargain Dec 31, 2015 3:10 pm

I logged online and see that a statement was generated on 8/14, for "MEMBERSHIP FEE AUG 14-JUL 15" for $95 which makes me to think I would have cancelled seeing that statement.

So, assuming 8/14 is the 'closing' date, should I wait until 4/16 to open a new one ?

Originally Posted by ftbargain (Post 25935411)
Is there any way to find out when did you cancel the previous AA card on citi.com ?
My last app was approved on 8/13 but I don't remember when did I close it so that I'm eligible for another one after the 18-month after closed rule ?

Happy Dec 31, 2015 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by epaairnow (Post 25942931)
Quick update, new WE card in mail today. Did not confirm bonus as automatic approval but havent confirmed bonus yet and all letters have had 50k mention. Willl report if contrary this time

You do not need to confirm bonus - the letter is the only thing that matters.

freeflyin Dec 31, 2015 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by Happy (Post 25942719)

If you applied BEFORE the Card No.2 converted to WE, you still have a W at the time you apply the No.3... Unless the 60K invitation does not have the 18 months clause and Citi system does not match recipient of the mailer with the actual applicant...

Again, getting approval does NOT mean getting the bonus. That is why people try to be more cautious to make sure a win instead of a loss.

Calling does not ensure the eligibility of bonus. The reps can only see which offer you applied thru. The reps do NOT see whether you are eligible for the bonus or not - it is determined by the system. That is WHY the Letter has so much importance. You will only know by the wording on the letter whether you would receive bonus or not.

Personally I would not put any big spend on the card UNTIL I receive the letter with the coveted words. There are enough preceding reports in both Exec thread and HHonors thread MONTHS AGO that getting the card does NOT mean getting the bonus, confirmed by the phone reps nonetheless. If the letter that comes without mentioning the bonus, you will NOT get the bonus. period. In fact that is how the people churning Exec cards find out what is the SURE tell about the eligibility of bonus. And such evidence is again proven by the 75K HHonors card offer a few months ago.

Why after a year of such Citi practice (the Approval Letter) people still are not sure what the mechanism is? :confused:

In my case, I did not apply until #2 already converted,but I don't have the WE card yet. The W card is showing again in my offers online and in the past, my letter has always come confirming the bonus before the new W arrives, so if this remains the same, I will know for sure if the bonus will apply before #3 arrives and spending begins.

express3 Jan 1, 2016 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by express3 (Post 25933959)
Somewhat confused, but I think I understand.

I currently have:
-AA Amex
-AA Visa Signature
-AA Platinum Select MC World (on the back on top of the MC logo it says World) opened Apr '15

Now, I would l just have to upgrade the MC to WE and I would be able to apply for another card and still be eligible for the bonus?

And if so which one am I eligible for? Can I upgrade through the phone?

Any insight is much appreciated, thanks!!

Originally Posted by PETERPNYC (Post 25935802)
You can not upgrade the W to WE . only Citi can do that . Read the Wiki .
Do Not Call please .

No worries, I wouldn't call just like that. I wasn't sure how people were being converted to the WE because I have had my card (AA Platinum Select MC World) since April 2015 and mine has not been converted:confused:. Guess I can't have fun in this party :(

Originally Posted by MaxVO (Post 25937754)
You can also apply for the AA Gold MC and get a bonus, if you haven't closed another AA Gold in the last 18 months.

Thanks MaxVO--Completely forgot about the AA Gold MC. I checked my records and had that card previously and closed it July 2014. Will try for that in a month or so.

sdsearch Jan 1, 2016 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by Happy (Post 25943321)
You do not need to confirm bonus - the letter is the only thing that matters.

The other thing which is a sure indication (but it typically can be seen only after the letter should have arrived) is after you activate the card and link it on your Citi AA online account, if it shows the progress "clock" towards the bonus ($3000 spend to go, NN days left) when you go to see AA miles detail for the new card.

duranza Jan 2, 2016 10:55 am

Just applied for 2nd card, at least 1 mos since 1st was converted

Congratulations, you've been approved!

We're delighted to let you know you've been approved for the CitiŽ / AAdvantageŽ Gold card, with a credit limit of $16,500.

This was the email I received stated it differently from the approval page stating AA Gold World Mastercard

Wonder why they are referring to the cards differently?

ETA: checked previous email for first card and paperwork received and it was stated differently there too ( email and paper statement name of card was worded differently)

kannon99 Jan 2, 2016 11:46 am

Originally Posted by kannon99 (Post 25834371)
Is it possible to be issued a World Elite right off the bat? I applied for my last Platinum in 3/15 and as far I can tell it was always a WE. A online chat citi confirms this. So I would think I could sit get around the loop hole as the system shows me as having a WE and a new card would be a W.

Well I guess its safe to say my W card was converted to a WE at some point earlier this year.

Applied a few days and after a recon was approved. Offer letter in mail states 50,000 sign up.

Data points:
3/15 Citi AA Plat (unknown W to WE convert time)
7/15 Citi AA Biz
8/15 Amex Spg Biz
8/15 Amex Plat
10/15 Citi Prestige

Pochama Jan 2, 2016 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by Pochama (Post 25915020)
Another datapoint for W->WE.

Approved on Nov 18th using link 4c. I just got a SM that I have a new card on the way. I'll update when I get it.

Just as an update, I got the physical card in the mail today.

duranza Jan 2, 2016 2:43 pm

1st card approved Nov 12th.
Received today World Elite with Congratulatory flyer.
Had noticed early December that card name had changed on account.

whoknew89 Jan 2, 2016 3:18 pm

Anyone know of any data-points for the following scenario:

Applied for AA Plat 50k Nov 2014.
Converted to WE January 2015
Applied for AA Plat 50k #2 September 2015.
Converted to WE late December 2015.

Card #1 has its annual fee post in late November and I called the retention line and was offered 5,000 miles with no spend. I took the offer. I'm wondering now if I canceled card #1 via secure message if it would disqualify me from applying for AA Plat 50k card #3 in May. (I want to wait for a few inquires to fall off)

As far as I understand it canceling a WE conversion wont reset the 18 month counter for the same reason that the conversion itself resets it. The card isn't considered the same product.

However if anyone knows of someone who successfully did this please let me know. I suppose I could keep card #1 open but the 5,000 points isn't really enough to justify the annual fee.

boris10475 Jan 2, 2016 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by whoknew89 (Post 25950754)
Anyone know of any data-points for the following scenario:

Applied for AA Plat 50k Nov 2014.
Converted to WE January 2015
Applied for AA Plat 50k #2 September 2015.
Converted to WE late December 2015.

Card #1 has its annual fee post in late November and I called the retention line and was offered 5,000 miles with no spend. I took the offer. I'm wondering now if I canceled card #1 via secure message if it would disqualify me from applying for AA Plat 50k card #3 in May. (I want to wait for a few inquires to fall off)

As far as I understand it canceling a WE conversion wont reset the 18 month counter for the same reason that the conversion itself resets it. The card isn't considered the same product.

However if anyone knows of someone who successfully did this please let me know. I suppose I could keep card #1 open but the 5,000 points isn't really enough to justify the annual fee.

You can cancel card # 1. Closing WE card does not preclude you from obtaining bonus on a new W card

James Ben Jan 2, 2016 7:10 pm

Statement closed on the 24th, it says points reported to AA, but nothing yet in my account. any ideas?

ninim2200 Jan 3, 2016 6:35 am

I have been noticing that there are some reports recently for being approved for a 2nd or 3rd platinum/gold cards, while sharing these data points might be useful for others to follow your footsteps; to have a complete data point you want to confirm that you actually will get the bonus by either receiving the approval letter or by receiving the card/confirm online that the offer is on your card.Just being approved does not automatically means you will get the bonus with these cards.

sdsearch Jan 3, 2016 8:10 am

Originally Posted by James Ben (Post 25951602)
Statement closed on the 24th, it says points reported to AA, but nothing yet in my account. any ideas?

That's discussed in a separate thread which I see you already found:

James Ben Jan 3, 2016 8:41 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch (Post 25953584)
That's discussed in a separate thread which I see you already found:

Yes thanks

changger1 Jan 3, 2016 11:56 am

Here's a data point for anyone who might need it. I helped my mother sign up for a Citi Platinum and Citi Exec card on June 2014. The Exec card was canceled March 2015. I just helped her try to sign up for another Citi Platinum. Got a declined message. Called up reconsideration for her and the Rep said she could have the card but since she canceled the Exec card in March 2015 she's not eligible for the bonus since she can only receive a bonus every 18 months. It didn't sound right since the Platinum and Exec are different products, but the Rep's computer told her otherwise.

timzheng Jan 3, 2016 12:37 pm

Visa closed, can I get bonus on MasterCard

I closed my AAdvantage Visa card recently. I've never had a Platinum Select MasterCard. Can I get signon bonus for MC? Or do I have to wait 18 months since my Visa closure?

changger1 Jan 3, 2016 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by timzheng (Post 25954792)
I closed my AAdvantage Visa card recently. I've never had a Platinum Select MasterCard. Can I get signon bonus for MC? Or do I have to wait 18 months since my Visa closure?

I think you would receive the bonus, but i cannot guarantee you will. I would go ahead and apply if I were you. It's worth a credit pull.

pritomd Jan 3, 2016 1:09 pm

Datapoint: approved for AA Plat Visa on 11/10/2015. Received World card a week or two later. Today, 01/03/2015, I received my WE upgrade. Just activated it.

I did not ask about W->WE conversion or anything. The only SM I asked was to get the 10K bonus points to match the 60K offer (which they did without an offer code). Same exact CC #, exp date, and CVV number. Now have a holographic stripe and WE logo instead of colored World MC logo. Limit is $11,000 (only spent $10,500 for Citi Savings account funding). Did not get any notification online, but I did have an alert in my mobile app. Can't recall when exactly it showed up.

Am I good to go to apply for another Citi AA Plat personal card and be eligible for the 50K bonus (and if I'm feeling lucky and get approved, ask for the 60K match)?

diseased Jan 3, 2016 1:36 pm

Also received the WE card that was converted on Dec 22nd.

bigshooter Jan 3, 2016 2:34 pm

You didn't mention whether the card was converted from W to WE or not.

boris10475 Jan 3, 2016 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by pritomd (Post 25954914)
Datapoint: approved for AA Plat Visa on 11/10/2015. Received World card a week or two later. Today, 01/03/2015, I received my WE upgrade. Just activated it.

I did not ask about W->WE conversion or anything. The only SM I asked was to get the 10K bonus points to match the 60K offer (which they did without an offer code). Same exact CC #, exp date, and CVV number. Now have a holographic stripe and WE logo instead of colored World MC logo. Limit is $11,000 (only spent $10,500 for Citi Savings account funding). Did not get any notification online, but I did have an alert in my mobile app. Can't recall when exactly it showed up.

Am I good to go to apply for another Citi AA Plat personal card and be eligible for the 50K bonus (and if I'm feeling lucky and get approved, ask for the 60K match)?

11/10/15 card got to be Platinum W MC. There has been no AA visas to apply for in awhile. In any case you are good to go subject to 8/65 and 6Hp/6 Months rules

boris10475 Jan 3, 2016 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by timzheng (Post 25954792)

No wait, you are good to apply and collect the bonus if approved subject to 8/65 and 6HP/6 months rules

boris10475 Jan 3, 2016 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by changger1 (Post 25954618)
Here's a data point for anyone who might need it. I helped my mother sign up for a Citi Platinum and Citi Exec card on June 2014. The Exec card was canceled March 2015. I just helped her try to sign up for another Citi Platinum. Got a declined message. Called up reconsideration for her and the Rep said she could have the card but since she canceled the Exec card in March 2015 she's not eligible for the bonus since she can only receive a bonus every 18 months. It didn't sound right since the Platinum and Exec are different products, but the Rep's computer told her otherwise.

Citi CSRs often do not know what they are talking about. If your mother did not open or close any Platinum card in the last 18 months she should be eligible for a bonus. The reason she got declined for a card has nothing to do with her eligibility for a bonus anyways.

changger1 Jan 3, 2016 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by boris10475 (Post 25956159)
Citi CSRs often do not know what they are talking about. If your mother did not open or close any Platinum card in the last 18 months she should be eligible for a bonus. The reason she got declined for a card has nothing to do with her eligibility for a bonus anyways.

Just to follow up, she actually didn't get declined for the card. The reconsideration rep said she would approve her application for the card, but the new card would have no bonus.

boris10475 Jan 3, 2016 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by changger1 (Post 25956533)
Just to follow up, she actually didn't get declined for the card. The reconsideration rep said she would approve her application for the card, but the new card would have no bonus.

Do not take Citi's CSRs seriously. Just wait for the welcome letter in the mail which would either indicate the bonus or omit any mentioning of the bonus. That letter is your answer on eligibility. The letter usually comes before the actual card does.

PaulMSN Jan 3, 2016 11:23 pm

I just received a WE MC today for the W I received in November, so I guess I'm going to apply again. I still have an unconverted W MC, but that was also the case in November, so I don't think it will matter.

NTP9766 Jan 4, 2016 5:35 am

Datapoint:

10/15: Opened new personal Platinum W MC using link 4c (50k/$3k)
11/15: Received a targeted 60k/$3k offer in the mail, asked Citi to match it and they did
11/15: Card was converted to WE
12/15: Opened new personal Platinum W MC using link 4c (50k/$3k)
12/15: SM'd Citi to match the 60k/$3k offer, and they did

Next time I'll try not to throw out my targeted offers, because I did so just days before my first card was converted to WE.

ZzzzX Jan 4, 2016 6:58 am

Just burned a chunk of AA miles arranging a vacation...time to hop back on the AA train while it lasts....

sdsearch Jan 4, 2016 10:06 am

Originally Posted by changger1 (Post 25954618)

Originally Posted by changger1 (Post 25956533)

As mentioned by others already, the reps that approve (or decline) your application don't know whether you're actually eligible for a bonus. They're just guessing.

So please wait for the letter and tell us what it says about a bonus when you get it. There is no indication earlier than the letter which reliably tells you whether you will get a bonus or not.

Btw, if there's any risk of 18 months in your scenario at all, it would be from the open in June 2014 of the Plat, not from close in March 2015 of the Exec. Reason: Citi is known to count wrong. Just because it's 19 months now per calendar months since June 2014 doesn't mean that's how Citi is counting.