FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Citi | ThankYou Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-thankyou-rewards-739/)
-   -   Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-thankyou-rewards/1632562-citi-aa-platinum-gold-business-cards.html)

bobert24 Feb 23, 2016 3:39 pm

Data point:
I decided to take one for the team and give it a try. Last card converted around Christmas.

Applied & approved 2/17. Used the "other cards you may be interested in" link generated when checking for pre-approved cards on citi's website. Letter arrived today - no mention of the bonus. I'll hope & pray for the bonus tracker, but I'm not holding my breath.

A few things worth noting:
- I've got an old approval letter right here, and when comparing them side by side, I notice that both bullets under "Make the most of your card" are different, not just the one mentioning the 50k miles. Maybe there's a tiny chance that they just sent a different form letter? (Old letter: 50k miles & no FTF. New letter: free checked bags & 2 points/dollar spent on AA.)
- Like several of you, all of my recent Citi applications have required calling in - not to recon, just to "finish processing the application." Recently, they've been taking 15-20 minutes on hold, with the rep coming back every 2-3 minutes to ask me to wait another 2-3 minutes. During this call, I was able to get a little more info out of the rep: because of my "multiple accounts with them", my application required a signature. I assume that's from a manager. Either way, my app definitely didn't slide through under the radar.

DiMAn0684 Feb 23, 2016 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by bobert24 (Post 26233440)
During this call, I was able to get a little more info out of the rep: because of my "multiple accounts with them", my application required a signature. I assume that's from a manager. Either way, my app definitely didn't slide through under the radar.

If you don't mind sharing, how many cards do you have with them? I think I've got seven now, and had to call in for the last three. My understanding what that I usually had to call in because I am very close to the overall credit limit with Citi and they want to move CLs around.

MaxVO Feb 23, 2016 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by bobert24 (Post 26233440)
... because of my "multiple accounts with them", my application required a signature.

On this subject, I recently received a written request by mail from Citi to submit my signature for the AA-Business accoount -- a month after I closed it. I'm not planning to play along, as the account no longer exists anyways.

Happy Feb 23, 2016 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by PETERPNYC (Post 26233067)
First statement from late January card just closed and 60k are on it . Spend was prepaid.

When I login and go to see Fico score > see all cards , (which has not been available for a while and still is not available ) , all my AA Plat show as Plat select .

Don't be fooled . When I go to set default account etc , it still shows as Plat Select World MC . Did anyone ever see when looking at ; all cards, the words " World Master Card "

Hoping for a conversion, but probably this means nothing ?

Nobody would care for the conversion if not for the loophole. Hardly anyone here actually uses the better benefits from a WE. With the current development I would venture to say unless you receive a targeted mailer, you will not get another bonus WE notwithstanding. It is dead. The only successes after 2/10 are from those who applied thru a targeted mailer, if you read more carefully versus just look at the time line.

IAD_flyer Feb 23, 2016 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch (Post 26232819)
That's assuming that they haven't stopped converting W cards to WE. If they've realized the W->WE loophole, that might be the simplest way for them to avoid it without the hard IT work it might take to truly close it.

It's been some time since I've heard about someone just getting their card converted to WE or just seeing the word "World" disappear from their online description.

I agree that Citi may have stopped the W > WE conversions to fix the loophole. I do not think this is a permanent fix, WE earns MC and Citi higher merchant fees even factoring the cost of the extra WE services it is a clear profit center. They most likely just manually disabled this months batch run of conversions which most likely does not require a programmatic fix like fixing the loophole.

My fear is that the shutdowns a few weeks ago were just for the most aggressive churners and MSer. They might be preparing a for bigger shutdown and are trying to automate it and prep their reps.

searchingforawards Feb 23, 2016 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by IAD_flyer (Post 26234074)
I agree that Citi may have stopped the W > WE conversions to fix the loophole. I do not think this is a permanent fix, WE earns MC and Citi higher merchant fees even factoring the cost of the extra WE services it is a clear profit center. They most likely just manually disabled this months batch run of conversions which most likely does not require a programmatic fix like fixing the loophole.

My fear is that the shutdowns a few weeks ago were just for the most aggressive churners and MSer. They might be preparing a for bigger shutdown and are trying to automate it and prep their reps.

That's an interesting theory. Obviously, there's no way to know. But what you said made me start to think. Let's assume we know that Citi is planning a huge shutdown of churners. If a churner knew this and cancelled all of his or her Citi credit cards, would that make this churner "invisible" during a shutdown wave.

Obviously, cancelling all your credit cards doesn't erase your profile at Citi but would it save you from being blacklisted in this scenario. Since their algorithms would likely only target customers with active credit cards. Just a thought...

ninim2200 Feb 23, 2016 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by ninim2200 (Post 26214589)
We received the approval letter today with no bonus mentioned in it.
We used link 4d to apply, previous card WE is still open. sorry guys, our experiment didn't work.

To complete the data point; we received the card, activated and no bonus tracker.

Another data point, a family member applied on 1/31 after W got converted to WE, citi requested some papers by mail, papers sent and application was approved on 2/18, letter received yesterday... no bonus as well, so even for app that was submitted prior to the loophole closing and was processed after it was closed didn't get the bonus.

DiMAn0684 Feb 23, 2016 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by searchingforawards (Post 26234159)
That's an interesting theory. Obviously, there's no way to know. But what you said made me start to think. Let's assume we know that Citi is planning a huge shutdown of churners. If a churner knew this and cancelled all of his or her Citi credit cards, would that make this churner "invisible" during a shutdown wave.

Obviously, cancelling all your credit cards doesn't erase your profile at Citi but would it save you from being blacklisted in this scenario. Since their algorithms would likely only target customers with active credit cards. Just a thought...

Didn't spend much time thinking about this, but if I were to try to detect churners I'd probably split cards into categories (say AA category, that would include Gold, Plat, Exec) and look for high number of approvals in a given category over a relatively short period of time. Status of the card (active|closed) would not have mattered, I'd think.

tronsom Feb 23, 2016 8:35 pm

I've had citi aa mastercard platinum, aa visa gold and aa amex platinum for 3-4 years now. I could use some more miles since Ill be travelling a lot. Do you guys recommend I get another aa mastercard plat? For what Ive read I am eligible for the bonus again since my card has been open for more than 18 months. I got a citi hilton visa 10 days ago with citi, 3 amex and 2 chase (+1 more chase still pending verification). Thoughts?

MaxVO Feb 24, 2016 12:23 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch (Post 26232819)
That's assuming that they haven't stopped converting W cards to WE. If they've realized the W->WE loophole, that might be the simplest way for them to avoid it without the hard IT work it might take to truly close it.

It's been some time since I've heard about someone just getting their card converted to WE or just seeing the word "World" disappear from their online description.

That was your exact assumption in post #933 just a day earlier. If there's no W:WE conversion, there's no associated loophole either. So what made you lose that "sliver of hope" in a day?

PaulMSN Feb 24, 2016 1:33 am

My newest World card (11 Jan) now shows as AAdvantage Platinum Select, so I guess it's being converted, although there's no message about a new card yet. I'll try a new application when I get back from my upcoming trip and see if I get the bonus.

kebibl18 Feb 24, 2016 4:35 am

Looks like mine changed overnight to remove the word "world". No message about a new card though. Just wait and see I guess.

MarkMColo Feb 24, 2016 4:56 am

Originally Posted by kebibl18 (Post 26235782)
Looks like mine changed overnight to remove the word "world". No message about a new card though. Just wait and see I guess.

Ditto for my wife's latest card, applied for in early January.

datch Feb 24, 2016 5:59 am

My 1/11/16 app card is now showing new description as well as my SO 2/2/16 app. My opinion is they batch process these monthly

epaairnow Feb 24, 2016 6:19 am

Has to be a batch job - both mine and wife's #4 changed last night too to WE in name description. Now going to try targeted mailed offer soon....will post results later.

Another note for what it is worth....family member has been receiving 60k offers twice a month for 6 months now....received one yesterday for just 50k. Another change in the wind?