FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Citi | ThankYou Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-thankyou-rewards-739/)
-   -   Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-thankyou-rewards/1632562-citi-aa-platinum-gold-business-cards.html)

bobert24 Feb 19, 2016 9:50 am

Originally Posted by AugustWest (Post 26210667)
I do not believe that business cards ever have bonus language in the letter.
Just call a rep and confirm.

Originally Posted by spidy1 (Post 26210673)
Great..Thanks. There is hope.

Correct. Business card letters don't mention the bonus.

Originally Posted by schrute (Post 26211117)
Is the W->WE loophole still working? Conflicting reports, one data point, in the past few days indicating that peeps who converted aren't getting it again...

I'm guessing with Citi not allowing cc funding anymore, they're shutting down all ways to get extra points.

Once you find out and tell us, then we'll all know. Check the last few pages of this thread. Your questions is the one we're all looking for the answer to.

fredc84 Feb 19, 2016 11:19 am

Originally Posted by schrute (Post 26211117)
Is the W->WE loophole still working? Conflicting reports, one data point, in the past few days indicating that peeps who converted aren't getting it again...

I'm guessing with Citi not allowing cc funding anymore, they're shutting down all ways to get extra points.

I posted yesterday (#853) right after I got the card in the mail for my wife that the bonus points graph is showing on her account page. So, it worked for us as of 2/18. This was our first time using the W/WE loophole.

brosenberg0 Feb 19, 2016 11:23 am

Originally Posted by fredc84 (Post 26211834)
I posted yesterday (#853) right after I got the card in the mail for my wife that the bonus points graph is showing on her account page. So, it worked for us as of 2/18. This was our first time using the W/WE loophole.

Did you apply via a regular link or via a targeted offer?

fredc84 Feb 19, 2016 11:31 am

Originally Posted by brosenberg0 (Post 26211848)
Did you apply via a regular link or via a targeted offer?

As I said in my original write up..."2/10: Applied for her again through a mail offer for 60K points."

So, it was a targeted mail offer both of us received. Her first card (for 60K) was a mail offer that was to expire on 2/15, the one I just posted about that we registered online yesterday (2/18) was also through a mail offer that said it expires on 3/15....one month later than the first offer.

brosenberg0 Feb 19, 2016 11:55 am

Originally Posted by fredc84 (Post 26211904)
As I said in my original write up..."2/10: Applied for her again through a mail offer for 60K points."

So, it was a targeted mail offer both of us received. Her first card (for 60K) was a mail offer that was to expire on 2/15, the one I just posted about that we registered online yesterday (2/18) was also through a mail offer that said it expires on 3/15....one month later than the first offer.

I am debating applying today but do not have a mail offer so would be using the regular link online.

brosenberg0 Feb 19, 2016 12:00 pm

Can anyone confirm the following:

Does the WE card - if the loophole still works - need to be activated in order for the loophole to work? I received it in the mail a few weeks back but never activated it and have since closed it.

NTP9766 Feb 19, 2016 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by brosenberg0 (Post 26212107)

Does the WE card - if the loophole still works - need to be activated in order for the loophole to work? I received it in the mail a few weeks back but never activated it.

I applied for my 3rd card after seeing my 2nd card converted to WE online, and before I activated it. So for me, at that time, it worked.

sdsearch Feb 19, 2016 2:47 pm

Does the WE card - if the loophole still works - need to be activated in order for the loophole to work? I received it in the mail a few weeks back but never activated it and have since closed it.

Therefore just asking whether the card needs to be activated is not the right question.

There are people who applied before activating and got the next bonus, but they may have all had the card still open when they applied for the next one.

So I don't know if there any people applied after not activating and then cancelling. That's a completely different scenario. And I don't remember anyone ever reporting on that.

Why in the world did you close it already without activating? What was the purpose??? Did you want Citi to think the card was lost or stolen? (I don't see what else not activating achieves.) :confused:

brosenberg0 Feb 19, 2016 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch (Post 26212979)
Therefore just asking whether the card needs to be activated is not the right question.

There are people who applied before activating and got the next bonus, but they may have all had the card still open when they applied for the next one.

So I don't know if there any people applied after not activating and then cancelling. That's a completely different scenario. And I don't remember anyone ever reporting on that.

Why in the world did you close it already without activating? What was the purpose??? Did you want Citi to think the card was lost or stolen? (I don't see what else not activating achieves.) :confused:

Valid point you are making. I hope it does not make a difference, and would not know why. Let's see what happens once my cards arrive.

Mortgasm Feb 19, 2016 3:46 pm

No bonus for me or my wife - her 4th, my 3rd.

We regret that your account ending in YYYY is not eligible for a promotional bonus.
Our terms and conditions state that if a similar account has been opened or closed within the previous 18 months, a new account will not earn a promotional bonus.
Our records show you recently earned 50,000 bonus miles on your account ending in XXXX.
While we are unable to assist you directly, we appreciate the opportunity to clarify this matter.

YYYY was applied for Feb 7, I had to go to recon, wife auto approved.
XXXX was applied November 2015, we both were auto approved and got the bonus in December, card was upgraded in January.

Happy Feb 19, 2016 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by Mortgasm (Post 26213285)
No bonus for me or my wife - her 4th, my 3rd.

We regret that your account ending in YYYY is not eligible for a promotional bonus.
Our terms and conditions state that if a similar account has been opened or closed within the previous 18 months, a new account will not earn a promotional bonus.
Our records show you recently earned 50,000 bonus miles on your account ending in XXXX.
While we are unable to assist you directly, we appreciate the opportunity to clarify this matter.

YYYY was applied for Feb 7, I had to go to recon, wife auto approved.
XXXX was applied November 2015, we both were auto approved and got the bonus in December, card was upgraded in January.

Were the language in your approval letter or from SM?

So this seems random - the dates are recent but no clear cut-off - initially Feb 10 is being speculated but now we have data that pre Feb 10 (your data points) not receive bonus, and there are also post Feb 10 applications receive bonuses.

Recon or Auto-approval dont seem to make any difference.

So it boils down to WHICH link(s) lead to this outcome?
I believe 4d has turned bad as someone used this link got the dreaded letter.

bobert24 Feb 19, 2016 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by Happy (Post 26213455)
Were the language in your approval letter or from SM?

So this seems random - the dates are recent but no clear cut-off - initially Feb 10 is being speculated but now we have data that pre Feb 10 (your data points) not receive bonus, and there are also post Feb 10 applications receive bonuses.

Recon or Auto-approval dont seem to make any difference.

So it boils down to WHICH link(s) lead to this outcome?
I believe 4d has turned bad as someone used this link got the dreaded letter.

Agreed. I think 4d was used too much, for too long. It should have died long ago, and somebody finally noticed. This is just speculation, but so is everything else at this point.

Our last few apps have used the "Other cards you might be interested in" links you get when you see if you have a pre-qualified offer on citicards.com. It's not prequalified, but it's closer (and more personal, if you will) than the old link that's been hanging around for months and months. Still awaiting the arrival of one card that may or may not have the bonus - that will be pretty telling.

Mort, which link did you use?

sm33 Feb 19, 2016 5:12 pm

I posted this over on r/churning, but I thought I would post here as well.

Applied May 2015, auto-approved, received welcome letter with bonus language, spent 3k, received 50,000 AA miles. Card was converted from W-WE.

Applied September 2015, auto-approved, received welcome letter with bonus language, spent 3k, received 50,000 AA miles. Card was converted from W-WE.

Applied February 9th, 2016, auto-approved, received welcome letter dated Feb 11th with no bonus language. Activated card, and there is no bonus tracker.

Most of my applications (including my last one) were through link 4d on Flyertalk. I did not close or product change either of my earlier cards. I did SM Citi to lower credit lines in order to get auto-approvals, though I am not sure when I did that, or if that is a factor. I do not have specific dates on when the conversion from W-WE happened, but I double checked and both of my previous cards have the WE branding.

Some additional info: I have processed three applications under my husband's name (January 15, August 15, December 15) and they all received the bonus. When the January card AF was charged, he called for a waiver and was denied, so he PC'd to a Double Cash. His last card has not converted to WE yet, but I am probably not going to chance getting shut out again once it does.

Hope we can pin down the cause of this problem.

beltway Feb 19, 2016 5:32 pm

Does the WE card - if the loophole still works - need to be activated in order for the loophole to work?

Answered in the wiki.

Reading the wiki is a good thing.

MaxVO Feb 19, 2016 5:32 pm

Is there still the possibility that following one of the app links in this thread (e.g. 4d) gets the bonus deleted from the resulting account? I'm not sure if there are any data points from folks applying after Feb.5 from non-FT links, and still hitting all the predictable milestones on their way to the bonus.