FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Citi | ThankYou Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-thankyou-rewards-739/)
-   -   Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-thankyou-rewards/1632562-citi-aa-platinum-gold-business-cards.html)

NTP9766 Jan 8, 16 11:21 am

I can't find an answer to this, but would downgrading the WE Platinum card to another product and then closing that card be an alternative to just keeping them open (where I could ignore the 18-month rule)?

I am finding a few users on Reddit who say that they have cancelled a WE card, reapplied for a W card and received the bonus.

rover4618 Jan 8, 16 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by rover4618 (Post 25982303)
I had a Platinum card that I closed a year ago and don't recall if it converted to WE.
I called Citi and they said there was no way to tell if it was a world or WE.

Any way to find out ? Waiting another 6 months will suck.

Originally Posted by bobert24 (Post 25984054)
If you closed it a year ago, did you open it a year (or more) before that? If it was a Visa, rather than a MC, you're good to go - they're considered completely different products.

Otherwise, you can go to citicards.com, scroll to the bottom, click on the link that says "Pre-qualified for a Credit Card? See what credit card offers are available to you and see if you're pre-qualified", fill in your info, and see if the Platinum card is listed anywhere on the results page (prequalified or cards you might be interested in). I think we're right at 100% that if the card is listed on that page, you're eligible for it and the bonus.

I did as you said and went to CitiCards.com. There I found the only card I was preapproved for was the Platinum Card. I applied. Was approved (but got the message to call for more info) and confirmed with the rep that I would be getting the 50K bonus.

Thank you very much sir for your help. ^

Pochama Jan 8, 16 12:52 pm

Anyone know if I get double miles for purchasing miles from aa.com with my Citi Platinum card? I'm about 5k miles short of an award and I just want to top off my account.

bobert24 Jan 8, 16 1:02 pm

Just a heads up: if you're applying for these cards and planning to use Serve or Bluebird to meet your minimum spend, you may want to head over to the MS forum first. Don't worry, you can't miss the threads in question - they're currently exploding all over themselves.

This isn't the place to discuss these shutdowns, so let's not get OT here. Just wanted to bring this to everyone's attention, in case this was going to leave you unable to meet your spend.

kgkg Jan 8, 16 1:50 pm

I received a targeted offer in the mail for 60k miles with $3000 spending in 3 months. It is a Mastercard. In the footnote, it did not mention 18 months, just said "if you are an existing Citi/AAdvantage member, you are not eligible".

I closed all my Citi/AA accounts about 14 months ago. Is it safe to apply and get the points? Thanks!

fromfall98 Jan 8, 16 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by bobert24 (Post 25984054)
Otherwise, you can go to citicards.com, scroll to the bottom, click on the link that says "Pre-qualified for a Credit Card? See what credit card offers are available to you and see if you're pre-qualified", fill in your info, and see if the Platinum card is listed anywhere on the results page (prequalified or cards you might be interested in). I think we're right at 100% that if the card is listed on that page, you're eligible for it and the bonus.

That is very useful! I tried it, but says:

"fromfall98, we couldn't match your records to a Pre-Qualified credit card offer. See below for 4 other cards you may like."

It does show: Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World MasterCard® at the top though!

Does that mean, it might be time to apply?

Thanks!

starbuk Jan 8, 16 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch (Post 25973318)
If you need no credit limit at all, just SM them to reduce the credit limit to the lowest it can be, then you'll find out.

I've heard (and experienced) that it can be (temporarily) detrimental to your credit score to have more than 30% of the your credit limit used on any particular card in any particular month. So I generally don't lower to less than $3k if I've got close to $1k in charges that are not paid off yet.

Keep in mind that if the card started out with, say, for example, $11k of CL, and you lower it to $3k vs lowering it to $2k, there's not much difference between those. What's signficant is that you lower it by many thousands.

Also, keep in mind that it can take (many?) weeks before the CL you lowered becomes available for a new card. So it may be better to lower to a less drastic degree sooner (while you're still doing the minimum spend) rather than wait until the last minute to lower it the most possible (in one step). To that end, I lowered by last WE to $6k first, and then when I had less than $1k of charges left, I lowered it again to $3k. If the lowering to $3k was "too soon" before my next W app, at least the lowering to $6k made a couple months earlier should help.

Originally Posted by Denver Enzo (Post 25974046)
They will lower it to $2,000, but if the line is lower (wife was approved at $1,500) it can stay below $2,000.

When I want to lower them, I just ask in the SM. Turns out the HHonors Reserve card can be lowered to $300! Yes Three Hundred!

Thanks for replies. Can confirm it is $2,000, I believe it is linked to the type of Mastercard it is.

sd - I only reduce CL after all balances are paid down so that it opens up the credit for (hopefully) more Citi apps.

duranza Jan 8, 16 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by duranza (Post 25967904)
On Jan 2nd I applied for a 2nd card and was approved, about 1 mos since 1st was converted and still open.
It is my understanding that since the Gold card was converted from a W to a WE you can apply as soon as it has converted since it is as if we had not applied for the 1st card at all since the card name has changed.

Both husband and I received welcoming letter for 2nd Gold Card and stating the 25k bonus miles with a $750 purchase within 3 mos.
Card will follow, letter says by Jan 12th. ^

bobert24 Jan 8, 16 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by fromfall98 (Post 25986097)
That is very useful! I tried it, but says:

"fromfall98, we couldn't match your records to a Pre-Qualified credit card offer. See below for 4 other cards you may like."

It does show: Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World MasterCard® at the top though!

Does that mean, it might be time to apply?

Thanks!

Yep. That's the "other cards you might be interested in" section. Maybe I got the wording wrong. Looks like you should be good to apply.

fromfall98 Jan 8, 16 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by bobert24 (Post 25987240)
Yep. That's the "other cards you might be interested in" section. Maybe I got the wording wrong. Looks like you should be good to apply.

Thanks for your response! Shall take a plunge next week. Worst case scenario, don't get bonus / card, but your response is encouraging enough for me to give it a shot!

Cheers!

Java Cool Dude Jan 8, 16 10:48 pm

I was recently targeted with mail-in offers (twice) for the AAdvantage Platinum Select: 60k sign up bonus upon clearing 3k in the first 3 months and no annual fee the first year.
I applied online on Monday and I received a message saying my application needs further reviewing. Well fast forward to Friday I got another email saying I was approved along with a decent credit line to go with it :)

Java Cool Dude Jan 8, 16 10:53 pm

Originally Posted by Pochama (Post 25985486)
Anyone know if I get double miles for purchasing miles from aa.com with my Citi Platinum card? I'm about 5k miles short of an award and I just want to top off my account.

American Airlines processes its own mileage purchases, you should be able to get 2X for every dollar you spend.
PS: Right now you can get up to %50 additional miles when you purchase an amount equal or exceeding 70k.

sdsearch Jan 9, 16 6:13 am

Originally Posted by Sortek (Post 25981913)
I have an aged Plat Select Visa (yeah I know right) and am excited to churn again. Just finished SM CL reduction on that and HHonors Reserve to free up $7k. How long until that credit is freed up in the system for a new application? Thanks.

P.S. Are the Citi AA Visa's truly gone?

They are so near gone that any extra day you wait to cancel yours put you at risk of starting an 18 clock. So cancel it right now! Citi doesn't necessarily notify when they're going to convert a Visa to an MC, and it might happen tomorrow! And as soon it happens, your 18 month clock starts ticking.

So if you really want to churn again, cancel the AA Visa right now.

The CL you lower can take weeks to be freed up for new applications. We don't know exactly how long.

epaairnow Jan 9, 16 8:50 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch (Post 25989118)
They are so near gone that any extra day you wait to cancel yours put you at risk of starting an 18 clock. So cancel it right now! Citi doesn't necessarily notify when they're going to convert a Visa to an MC, and it might happen tomorrow! And as soon it happens, your 18 month clock starts ticking.

So if you really want to churn again, cancel the AA Visa right now.

The CL you lower can take weeks to be freed up for new applications. We don't know exactly how long.

I still have a Visa as well...my expiration date is 08/18--so I think that is a reason it has not been converted yet. I am considering your advice for cancelling to avoid starting the clock....but I would assume it would be converted straight to WE at this point right? Haven't really followed Visa conversions...but they have given me great retention offers on it the past 2 years...haven't really taken advantage of it this year due to current World/WE churning.

socrpro192 Jan 9, 16 11:27 am

Just called and got a $95 AF statement credit plus 1000 points for $1000 spend a month for next 16 months. Not a bad retention bonus.