FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Citi | ThankYou Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-thankyou-rewards-739/)
-   -   Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-thankyou-rewards/1632562-citi-aa-platinum-gold-business-cards.html)

cloney Feb 16, 2016 11:44 am

Originally Posted by lemonoy (Post 26194270)
one DP:
W->WE last year. Applied for the 2nd Platinum card on 2/8. Approved on 2/10. Got the letter on 2/15. No welcome bonus language mentioned in it.

Did you get the card yet to check the bonus indicator on the website?

Ed Janowsky Feb 16, 2016 12:09 pm

one DP:
W->WE last year. Applied for the 2nd Platinum card on 2/8. Approved on 2/10. Got the letter on 2/15. No welcome bonus language mentioned in it.

What application link did you use?

sdsearch Feb 16, 2016 12:41 pm

one DP:

Welcome to FlyerTalk, lemonoy.

There's been several people who got such letters recently without the welcome bonus language, but that datapoint is not complete until you actually the card and find out (through checking whether the online tracker for your bonus spend appears) whether you're getting the bonus or not.

So please come back and tell us what you find out after you get the card itself. Thanks.

And others, please wait until you get the card (and set up your online account) to report this. We already know some people are getting letters without the welcome bonus language (while others are getting letters with the welcome bonus language), so that by itself is not all that useful, without knowing the followup of whether the online bonus tracker appears. Thanks.

eclare Feb 16, 2016 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly (Post 26194300)
In fact the loophole could be alive and dead at the same time, i.e. described by a superposition of states, collapsing to an eigenstate each time an observation(*) is made.

(*) i.e. credit card application. For more details see Alpher, Bethe and Gamow, Phys. Rev. 73, 803 (1948)

Shrodinger's loophole?

beltway Feb 16, 2016 12:57 pm

one DP:

Originally Posted by cloney (Post 26194330)
Did you get the card yet to check the bonus indicator on the website?

And/or did you SM Citi to ask, lemonoy?

In fact the loophole could be alive and dead at the same time

Thus fueling rumors that Citi will be adding a new TYP transfer partner, Quantum Airways.

PaulMSN Feb 16, 2016 1:16 pm

In fact the loophole could be alive and dead at the same time, i.e. described by a superposition of states, collapsing to an eigenstate each time an observation(*) is made.

(*) i.e. credit card application. For more details see Alpher, Bethe and Gamow, Phys. Rev. 73, 803 (1948)

But in the end it's possible the loophole could have a dead cat bounce. Or not.

JATR4 Feb 16, 2016 1:16 pm

one DP:

You could call and ask if the card comes with a bonus. That's what I would do.

bobert24 Feb 16, 2016 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by NTP9766 (Post 26193343)
I think I'm going to err on the side of caution and just make sure that I cancel each card after the flight that was purchased on it is over. This WE loophole threw my churning spreadsheet through a - pardon the pun - loop.

The way that's worded leads me to a question:
When you say the flight was purchased on that card, what do you mean? Do you mean you used the points from that card to pay for a flight? Or you paid for a cash fare on that card? Or you put the taxes & fees from a points redemption on that card?

If it's the first one, there's no need to keep the card open. Tons of us are working through points we earned last year (or earlier), on cards that have been closed for months or years.

If it's the second, have a look at the (limited) travel insurance provided by this card, and see if it's worth it to you. The insurance is only valid if the card is still open. If you're flying out of the country, see the note on situation 3 below.

If it's the third, there's not a really compelling reason to keep the card open (at least for domestic flights). There have been reports of some airlines in foreign countries requiring you to present the card you paid with (even if it was just taxes and fees) at check-in. I've never personally run into it, but I'd also prefer not to, as apparently sometimes it can make it very difficult to get your boarding pass. Just something to think about.

So yes, the safe solution is to keep the card open, but it may or may not be necessary. If you do, make sure you manage your credit limits (lower them) to make it easier to get instant approval on your next card.

fromfall98 Feb 16, 2016 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by eclare (Post 26194723)
Shrodinger's loophole?

:D :D

Yepp, Shrodinger did his experimentation with the loophole :D

arsenalman Feb 16, 2016 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by MarkMColo (Post 26193105)
Yes, the Visa and MC are two different products, and you should be able to apply for the MC now with no problem. The concern is that in the future, if Citi converts your Visa to a MC (and please note, this is something Citi may do on their own, not something you initiate), the conversion may be treated as "opening" a World MC within the past 18 months, making you ineligible thereafter to churn the MC.

Thank you. I see there is doubt if we can churn the card anymore. So in the mean time I am going to apply for the citigold and hopefully in a few days we will know if it's dead or not. If it isn't, I'll apply for a MC and close (change to a different card) the Visa (hopefully I can move the cl on to the MC). If it is dead then I can see what's the best way to move fwd.

NTP9766 Feb 16, 2016 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by bobert24 (Post 26195007)
The way that's worded leads me to a question:
When you say the flight was purchased on that card, what do you mean? Do you mean you used the points from that card to pay for a flight? Or you paid for a cash fare on that card? Or you put the taxes & fees from a points redemption on that card?

If it's the first one, there's no need to keep the card open. Tons of us are working through points we earned last year (or earlier), on cards that have been closed for months or years.

If it's the second, have a look at the (limited) travel insurance provided by this card, and see if it's worth it to you. The insurance is only valid if the card is still open. If you're flying out of the country, see the note on situation 3 below.

If it's the third, there's not a really compelling reason to keep the card open (at least for domestic flights). There have been reports of some airlines in foreign countries requiring you to present the card you paid with (even if it was just taxes and fees) at check-in. I've never personally run into it, but I'd also prefer not to, as apparently sometimes it can make it very difficult to get your boarding pass. Just something to think about.

So yes, the safe solution is to keep the card open, but it may or may not be necessary. If you do, make sure you manage your credit limits (lower them) to make it easier to get instant approval on your next card.

I meant that the flights were purchased with cash fares on the card, not award travel. Good tip on the travel protection, though - I had never realized that before. I adjusted all of my Outlook reminders this afternoon, and all of my 'cancel card' reminders occur after the flights occur.

This loophole basically allowed me to generate enough points to cover our flights to Maui in 2018, so I'm off to a strong start.

klemsaba Feb 16, 2016 5:38 pm

World to World Elite conversion on my 2nd card from November happened in January. Applied for a new card Feb 4 after receiving my new World Elite using a random link on Citi's website. Instantly approved. I had pre-lowered my credit lines before getting a new card. Received my letter confirming the 50K points around Feb 8. Got my card today. Registered and confirmed the tracker has been reset for 3 months / 50K miles.

This was my 3rd card in 12 months.

sdsearch Feb 16, 2016 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by JATR4 (Post 26194847)
You could call and ask if the card comes with a bonus. That's what I would do.

But the welcome letter doesn't include the account number, does it? So you have to wait for the card to arrive to be able to call, which is about the same as waiting for the card to arrive to activate it online and then see if you have the signup bonus spend tracker online (which doesn't require talking to anyone at Citi).

In other words, it's easy to figure out once you have the card in hand. You can go online and check for the spend tracker, go online an send an SM, or call.

But none of those are likely to help until you've activated the card.

And if you've activated the card, assuming it did it online, it seems easier to figure it online (checking for the spend track or sending an SM). Calling would seem to make more sense only if you're activating by calling on the phone.

JATR4 Feb 16, 2016 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch (Post 26196365)
But the welcome letter doesn't include the account number, does it? So you have to wait for the card to arrive to be able to call, which is about the same as waiting for the card to arrive to activate it online and then see if you have the signup bonus spend tracker online (which doesn't require talking to anyone at Citi).

In other words, it's easy to figure out once you have the card in hand. You can go online and check for the spend tracker, go online an send an SM, or call.

But none of those are likely to help until you've activated the card.

And if you've activated the card, assuming it did it online, it seems easier to figure it online (checking for the spend track or sending an SM). Calling would seem to make more sense only if you're activating by calling on the phone.

Using available information you don't need the card number to determine if you will get the 50,000 mile bonus. You can call the application ID phone number, give the CSR the ID number and ask if the card comes with a bonus.

sikorloa Feb 16, 2016 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch (Post 26152022)
Wrong. Incorrect.

We don't have enough datapoints to know for sure, but a downgrade is a close of one card and an opening of another card, and Citi says your 18-month clock is reset by a close of a Citi AA Plat card.

The reason we don't have it in the wiki is because we're not certain. But if you're not looking for high risk, you may not want to become our guinea pig. (We need guinea pigs who are not scared of resetting the 18 month clock to try experiments with downgrades and then applying for new cards.)

But first, does your current card presently say just "World" above the MC logo or "World Elite"? This is very important to know! If it says "World Elite", you can just plain cancel it (and what I said above doesn't apply in that case). If it just says "World", though, everything I just said above applies.

Thank you sdsearch for your reply!

I just heard about the "World Elite" trick, unfortunately the AAdvantage Platinum I opened on 4/1/2015 says "World", it never got converted to a "World Elite".

In that case, there's no way for me to take advantage of the "World Elite" loophole, since I have an open "World" account, correct?

I might be willing to become a guinea-pig and downgrade, just need to find a way to meet minimum spend for the new card, now that Serve is gone.