Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pax lights fireworks on NW AMS-DTW flight

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2009, 8:01 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
I'm glad I went overseas at Thanksgiving. With the new procedures, I'm done until it loosens up.

Congrats, TSA, the new policies will about kill the airlines.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 8:04 am

Originally Posted by magellan315
Gee Ron as a security professional you should have been aware of this, bum bomb. Your comment about not much space and not an ideal storage method also applies to shoes and liquids. Richard Reid only managed to hurt himself and the only way liquid explosives can be created is a controlled laboratory environment. Which still managed to blow the arm off the remote controlled mixing device.
Are we going to go down the whole liquid explosives debate road again Mag? I was of the opinion that more than enough evidence had been provided to everyone here that liquid explosives pose a real and viable threat (except for those who cannot remove their heads from the sand that is, are you one of those?).

Lets just say that I dont believe that a "bum bomb" is either a real or a viable threat. But you are more than welcome to give it your best shot at proving me wrong.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 8:33 am

Programs: I am a lowly ant
Originally Posted by us2
".. New regs given to Finnair also say: no internet, no satphone calls, no P/A announcements from the flight deck about where the aircraft happens to be flying while in US airspace, and obviously no moving map displays either. What´s next? No in-flight entertainment at all unless unwanted functions can be disabled?"
Presumably windows to be kept closed over US airspace also?
Old Dec 26, 2009, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by TSORon
Are we going to go down the whole liquid explosives debate road again Mag? I was of the opinion that more than enough evidence had been provided to everyone here that liquid explosives pose a real and viable threat (except for those who cannot remove their heads from the sand that is, are you one of those?).

Lets just say that I dont believe that a "bum bomb" is either a real or a viable threat. But you are more than welcome to give it your best shot at proving me wrong.
Actually Ronnie thats exactly where we are going. Richard Reid gets one failed shoe bomb onto a plane and the TSA has everyone removing their shoes permanently. Even though it took the TSA several years after Richard Reid to implement the policy. If shoes were such a threat why the delay? Shouldn't one bum bomb be treated with the same level of concern?

If shoes and liquid explosives were truly a threat to aviation security why don't they limit liquids and have people remove their shoes in Europe. Which is where both of these failed attempts originated from? Unless you are one of those TSA employees who can not remove their head from the sand and understand where the real threats are. Of course you are welcome to give it your best shot at proving me wrong.

Last edited by magellan315; Dec 26, 2009 at 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Maybe they'll blindfold everyone too! The Emperor still has no clothes.
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by SDF_Traveler
Originally Posted by Originally Posted by Air Canada[/quote
New rules imposed by the U.S. Transportation Security Administration also limit on-board activities by customers and crew in U.S. airspace that may adversely impact on-board service. Among other things, during the final hour of flight customers must remain seated, will not be allowed to access carry-on baggage, or have personal belongings or other items on their laps.
Looks like we've gone overboard again.
again?

Originally Posted by TSORon
Originally Posted by doober
The syringe - unless it was the size of a horse syringe - could have been brought on board in a carry-on as a required medical item, even pre-filled as it was according to the NY Times,

and the powder also could have been declared medically necessary, if he were smart enough to do that.

Unfortunately, the people who are going to suffer the most from the actions of this imbecile are those who need to carry syringes and medical supplies.
I think you might be right.
i agree as well but how will the tsa deal with "this potential new change" and inform the public and inform the front line staff? remember, the tsa (corporate) is not the most forthcoming and there are many bad apples* out there i the trenches who a) don't follow the rules set in place by their employer or b) make up their own rules

*no offense meant to the good granny smiths and macintoshes out there
Old Dec 26, 2009, 9:09 am

http://www.thisdayonline.com/nview.php?id=162771

The older Mutallab, as at the time of filing this report, had just left his Katsina hometown for Abuja to speak with security agencies, family sources say. According to the family members, Mutallab has been uncomfortable with the boy's extreme religious views and had six months ago reported his activities to United States' Embassy, Abuja and Nigerian security agencies.

The older Mutallab was said to be devastated on hearing the news of Abdul Farouk's attempted bombing and arrest. A source close to him said he was surprised that after his reports to the US authorities, the young man was allowed to travel to the United States.
Hmm, who dropped the ball on this one?
Old Dec 26, 2009, 9:25 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by Trollkiller
http://www.thisdayonline.com/nview.php?id=162771

Hmm, who dropped the ball on this one?
if true, gonna be fun to sit back and watch. spin, baby, spin
Old Dec 26, 2009, 9:32 am

My reading of these new restrictions is that passengers are allowed nothing, not even a book, with them during the last hour of the flight. If you want a plane full of edgy people, that is certainly a good way to get it. I can tell you for sure that making me sit in place for an hour with nothing active to do will drive me nuts!

Thanks but no thanks. If this becomes the norm, my family members in the US are going to have to choose either to come visit me or miss me...
Old Dec 26, 2009, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by goalie
if true, gonna be fun to sit back and watch. spin, baby, spin
I am still waiting for the poorly redacted SOP and all us unpatriotic blogger to be blamed for this.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
Originally Posted by AngryMiller
The good thing about this is that it demonstrated that the mixing of components onboard the aircraft doesn't work very well.
This is the least discussed part of this event. His home made/airside assembled "bomb" DID NOT WORK! I seem to detect a common theme here. Wannabe do it yourself jihadists spend all their time studying radical theology and flunk chemistry. I guess that is a good thing for the rest of us. Reid, Tang water boyz, Lagos Leg Lighting Loonie. . .

Probably flunked geography too. He wanted to boom over the US. Poor flight choice and depending on wind direction, I'd say 98% chance the event took place over Canada.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 9:43 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by halls120
But let's take a look at what we know right now.

The suspect was supposedly on some sort of terror watch list, yet he was allowed to board an airplane.

The suspect went through screening at an "approved" airport. This means 1) what he had was normally allowable or 2) the screeners screwed up.

The suspect was subdued by passengers, not by on board FAMS.

Can any of the TSA kool aid drinkers tell me just how we're getting a return on our security investment? The reality is this - unless every passenger is strip searched before boarding, a dedicated individual is going to be able to board an aircraft with the capability to do harm, and someday that harm may be carried out. Regardless of whatever draconian measures the TSA thinks up next.
Originally Posted by magellan315
Richard Reid gets one failed shoe bomb onto a plane and the TSA has everyone removing their shoes permanently. Even though it took the TSA several years after Richard Reid to implement the policy. If shoes were such a threat why the delay? Shouldn't one bum bomb be treated with the same level of concern?

If shoes and liquid explosives were truly a threat to aviation security why don't they limit liquids and have people remove their shoes in Europe. Which is where both of these failed attempts originated from? Unless you are one of those TSA employees who can not remove their head from the sand and understand where the real threats are. Of course you are welcome to give it your best shot at proving me wrong.
Very wise words IMO.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

my read of this is the following:

The strip search machines are going to become manditory at least for secondaries if not everyone.

Increased invasive patdows and gate harassment.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 9:56 am

new 1 hour rule

Of course this would be a great opportunity for ads to come over the announcement system and on the movie screens.

It will therefore be at least 1:20 before passengers are in the terminal; some of us will need to use a toilet before that.

Sylvia
Old Dec 26, 2009, 9:58 am

Programs: United premier
Lots more crying, that's for sure

Originally Posted by BubbaLoop
My reading of these new restrictions is that passengers are allowed nothing, not even a book, with them during the last hour of the flight. If you want a plane full of edgy people, that is certainly a good way to get it. I can tell you for sure that making me sit in place for an hour with nothing active to do will drive me nuts!

Thanks but no thanks. If this becomes the norm, my family members in the US are going to have to choose either to come visit me or miss me...
Poor kids with ear infections or ear pressure pain during the descent--if they're banning books then bottles would have to be right out, right? Swallowing some fruit juice or milk is often the only way small children can equalize their ear pressure.

Even adults can have this happen--I remember one flight where I didn't know how bad one ear was until a few thousand feet up: luckily I had a bottle of water and could borrow another, because I was sipping all the way to the ground to keep my eardrum intact.

Note to self: bring good earplugs, and take a decongestant whether I need it or not 1.5 hours before landing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.