Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pax lights fireworks on NW AMS-DTW flight

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2009, 5:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, HHonors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite
CNN: A senior administration official said the White House is considering the incident an attempted terrorist attack.

God help those of us who have International travel for the next few weeks. It's going to be absolute chaos.
Old Dec 25, 2009, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
Originally Posted by Fredd
U.S. intelligence officials said a passenger attempted to use a explosive device made up of a powdery substance and liquid, but the device failed, the Associated Press is reporting. [/I]
Hence the change to Threat Level Tang.

Prediction: The lifestyle upgrade option: This will turn out to be a Nigerian dude who figures 20 years of free room and board and medical care at Club Fed is far better than being homeless in Lagos.
Old Dec 25, 2009, 5:58 pm

Programs: BA EC Gold
Originally Posted by halls120
The suspect went through screening at an "approved" airport. This means 1) what he had was normally allowable or 2) the screeners screwed up.
I believe the man flew from LOS-AMS-DTW. It has been a very long time since I've transferred from non-Schengen to non-Schengen at AMS, but I believe that you do not get security-screened again. You certainly wouldn't go through passport control in AMS in these circumstances.
Old Dec 25, 2009, 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by Flaflyer
Hence the change to Threat Level Tang.

Prediction: The lifestyle upgrade option: This will turn out to be a Nigerian dude who figures 20 years of free room and board and medical care at Club Fed is far better than being homeless in Lagos.
Well, don't forget that he had some sort of US visa, somehow, otherwise he wouldn't have been allowed on the plane (DL would've been fined heavily). He can't have been that poorly off in Lagos.
Old Dec 25, 2009, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ajax
I believe the man flew from LOS-AMS-DTW. It has been a very long time since I've transferred from non-Schengen to non-Schengen at AMS, but I believe that you do not get security-screened again. You certainly wouldn't go through passport control in AMS in these circumstances.
You will now.
Old Dec 25, 2009, 6:20 pm

Programs: UA Silver, DL Silver (MM), HH LT Diamond, MR LT Platinum
Bye-bye matches and lighters.
Old Dec 25, 2009, 6:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by rrgg
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/...n6022161.shtml
"different things at different airports"
In other words: nothing new (in that) since "standardization"
Old Dec 25, 2009, 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by LessO2
You will now.
Security-screened, almost certainly.

Passport-screened, certainly not. You're not crossing any international borders that the state of the Netherlands is concerned with. The only time you get screened at AMS by Dutch border guards is when you're entering or leaving the Schengen Zone via AMS. Airlines can hire security guards to check your status and intent to enter the US (indeed, this is quite common) and the US can station immigration officials in AMS if they so choose (as they currently do at many Irish and Canadian airports) so that passengers can pre-clear immigration in the US, but if I'm flying from, say, South Africa to the UK via AMS, I will not need to have my passport checked by a border guard. It's none of their concern as long as I stay in the "non-Schengen" section. I am certain you won't see this changing.
Old Dec 25, 2009, 6:43 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
From Jake Tapper's Blog (ABC):

A senior administration official tells ABC News that the incident on the Northwest Airlines flight earlier today "was an attempted act of terrorism. We're taking increased steps to mitigate any threats."
Old Dec 25, 2009, 6:46 pm

Programs: BD*G -> BA Gold + A3*G (now dropped to BA Silver)
At AMS there's no central security checkpoint for non-Schengen all security is at gate this means everyone is checked.

Of course no immigration control but the airline legally needs tocheck travel docs.
Old Dec 25, 2009, 6:49 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by browserden
At AMS there's no central security checkpoint for non-Schengen all security is at gate this means everyone is checked.

Of course no immigration control but the airline legally needs tocheck travel docs.
Correct. Checked at the gate.
Old Dec 25, 2009, 6:51 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Priority Club Plat
"NBC: Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab was trying to ignite a two-part explosive, by injecting a liquid into a white powder."

Well...I guess the liquid ban will be staying in place. Maybe now "no liquids"??? I guess its safe to assume no more lighters.
Old Dec 25, 2009, 6:58 pm

Location: Alexandria, VA, USA NW Platinum Elite Since 1999, United GoldMM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, IC Ambassador, Avis Chairman's
in ICN watching CNN... OMG! they even are playing the race card using "and this flight flew into detroit, the city with the largest muslim population in the US"... and it is so wack! I DO NOT look forward to coming home to kabuki security after this... jeez.
Old Dec 25, 2009, 7:04 pm

This will be a "terrorist attack" until someone figures out being a terrorist attack will make Obama look bad. Then it will become an isolated incident by a mentally disturbed man.
Old Dec 25, 2009, 7:06 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA PLT, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by UMassCanuck07
"NBC: Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab was trying to ignite a two-part explosive, by injecting a liquid into a white powder."

Well...I guess the liquid ban will be staying in place. Maybe now "no liquids"??? I guess its safe to assume no more lighters.
i think you may be right. rumor i am hearing as i just flew is absolute ban on liquids and powders in both checked and carryon. basically anything other than clothes shoes or electronics will be gone. keep in mind this is rumor and not fact.

though the fact that really should be taken from this is that you cannot not stop this. you can only hope to limit it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.