Search

Pax lights fireworks on NW AMS-DTW flight

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2009, 6:09 am
us2
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by SDF_Traveler
Reports of LHR gate screening for US bound flights AND a strictly enforced 1 pc carry-on (i.e. not 1 pc plus).

Any confirmation?
Confirmed over at pprune:

http://www.pprune.org/rumours-news/4...ml#post5403220

"New rules implemented for US bound flights require that:

Additional hands on security screening at the gate

PAX must remain seated for the last hour of the flight

No access to carry on luggage for the last hour of flight

No personal effects in the posession for the last hour of flight including bags or airline pillows blankets etc.

Great travels to US of A to everyone. I will give it a pass."

and

".. New regs given to Finnair also say: no internet, no satphone calls, no P/A announcements from the flight deck about where the aircraft happens to be flying while in US airspace, and obviously no moving map displays either. What´s next? No in-flight entertainment at all unless unwanted functions can be disabled?"

Sounds like the old rules for flights into DCA, only worse.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 6:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Looks like we've gone overboard again.
Its doesn't says any existing about new policies at all. There is no such new things about security concerns. Because the passengers who have to rights access carryons and etc. There is no more new rules about remains in the seated is not necessary for 1-hour remains in the seated at all.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 6:10 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by TSORon
:-: (ding) They were concealed on his legs. A WBI would have been able to detect them, and any concealed object is investigated. He never would have gotten on the airplane with them.
The syringe - unless it was the size of a horse syringe - could have been brought on board in a carry-on as a required medical item, even pre-filled as it was according to the NY Times,
explosive powder taped to his leg and that he had mixed it with chemicals held in a syringe.
and the powder also could have been declared medically necessary, if he were smart enough to do that.

Unfortunately, the people who are going to suffer the most from the actions of this imbecile are those who need to carry syringes and medical supplies.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 6:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by us2

No personal effects in the posession for the last hour of flight including bags or airline pillows blankets etc.

and

".. New regs given to Finnair also say: no internet, no satphone calls, no P/A announcements from the flight deck about where the aircraft happens to be flying while in US airspace, and obviously no moving map displays either. What´s next? No in-flight entertainment at all unless unwanted functions can be disabled?"

Ehhh. Just forgettable it in the past and there is no such new rules from FAA restrictions at all. Its does not be existed about 1 hours remaining in the seat. Very stupidly rules and I didn't appreciate it from FAA are very smarter and retarded.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 6:17 am

Programs: Dirt Status w/ All
How do any of the Air Canada listed new rules (if true) prevent this incident? No accessing baggage last hour of flight? How do they stop you from going into your carry on at your feet, or your pants pocket? Can't get up for last hour, then just do your deed 65 minutes prior to landing. If this latest wackjob really wanted to blow up a plane on "US soil" he picked a really bad route that spends very little time over US airspace.

Just incredibly stupid if true.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 6:30 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by halls120 View Post
Can any of the TSA kool aid drinkers tell me just how we're getting a return on our security investment? The reality is this - unless every passenger is strip searched before boarding, a dedicated individual is going to be able to board an aircraft with the capability to do harm, and someday that harm may be carried out. Regardless of whatever draconian measures the TSA thinks up next.
Nice going Halls, I’d give you a “C” for originallity and a “D-“ for reality.
Although I can't find the specific interview, I believe old Kippie himself admitted that the TSA was never going to catch a dedicated terrorist, only a dumb one.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 6:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL, WN, AA
Thumbs down How are they going to enforce these?

Originally Posted by us2

and

Additional screening, no pillows and blankets, no getting up, no announcements, internet or satphones? All relatively easy to enforce/ handle.

Access to carry on bags? That one might be tough considering EVERYONE carries on way too much already (including myself) and those overhead bins only hold so much and most don't lock. This won't last and is the not so brilliant idea of a government paper pusher who thinks these rules are as "fair and balanced" as Fox News.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 7:20 am

Originally Posted by Andy1369
I think what happened was awful and sad, but I honestly doubt TSA will change anything or change their policies. This was an international flight, from an international airport, and the situation just happened to occur near DTW. Technically, the flight is still international (not in the USA) until it lands and the gate door opens...that's what I heard, anyway.

TSA shouldn't care, as long as it's not due to their incompentence. AMS and other airports will probably tighten security considerably, though.

Just my two cents.
Prior history would suggest otherwise. Shoe removal is due to Richard Reid and a flight from CDG. LGA is because of persons in London.

People are missing their flights today due to new "enhanced" restrictions. Sounds like additional questioning is ongoing as well.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 7:25 am

Programs: United 1K, AA Plat Exec, DL Plat, Marriott Titanium Lifetime Elite, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by ND Sol
Prior history would suggest otherwise. Shoe removal is due to Richard Reid and a flight from CDG. LGA is because of persons in London.

People are missing their flights today due to new "enhanced" restrictions. Sounds like additional questioning is ongoing as well.
And don't forget...adding additional checked baggage is a windfall for most carriers now. This would be peoples 3rd or 4th checked bag. It used to be free, but now could be $50-100US PER direction, per passenger. That will do alot to keep the carriers happy.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 7:30 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by FCYTravis
Yes, that's exactly what the TSA wants - to get one step closer to strip-searching every traveler before they board.

How would making this guy go through a WBI have changed anything? This guy had a syringe, some liquid and some powder — none of which are prohibited items.
We'll be back to the bad old days of 10/2001 where insulin needles were confiscated from diabetics. Among other things.

Somewhere on the web there is a story called "The Consultant". There is a scene that's the wet dream of a lot of TSOs, including a few I could name here. Regular passengers are pretty much treated like the prisoners in Con Air and the way to avoid getting the rectal exam at the screening station is to put $100 in the TSO's "tip jar".

The scary part: That's how "trusted traveler program" subscribers were treated. You can imagine what happened to the kettles, assuming they were allowed to fly at all.

Looks like we've gone overboard again.
Does this really come as a surprise? TSA is a master at closing the barn door after the horses got out.

Actually this has gone past "overboard" and all the way to "full retard".

Last edited by n4zhg; Dec 26, 2009 at 7:38 am
Old Dec 26, 2009, 7:36 am

Programs: Holiday Inn Plat NW gold AA gold
The good thing about this is that it demonstrated that the mixing of components onboard the aircraft doesn't work very well.

I hope this guy stays in a whole lot of pain.

Because of him flyers will pay more and be subjected to much more intrusive screening processes.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 7:38 am

As far as “bombs up the bum” are concerned, they are not really much of a threat IMO. There is only so much space there and its not an ideal storage area.
Gee Ron as a security professional you should have been aware of this, bum bomb. Your comment about not much space and not an ideal storage method also applies to shoes and liquids. Richard Reid only managed to hurt himself and the only way liquid explosives can be created is a controlled laboratory environment. Which still managed to blow the arm off the remote controlled mixing device.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 7:45 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by joelfreak
And don't forget...adding additional checked baggage is a windfall for most carriers now. This would be peoples 3rd or 4th checked bag. It used to be free, but now could be $50-100US PER direction, per passenger. That will do alot to keep the carriers happy.
Follow the money.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 7:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by doober
Although I can't find the specific interview, I believe old Kippie himself admitted that the TSA was never going to catch a dedicated terrorist, only a dumb one.
He did indeed. Ron's grasp of reality is humorous, to say the least.

If the reports about no access to your carry on baggage for the last hour and no leaving your seat during this same time are correct, this actually may be what it takes for the traveling public to wake up and demand real change.

Apparently no one at TSA realizes that a potential terrorist might be smart enough to get up 65 minutes from touchdown and access his carry on luggage and retrieve whatever it is he/she intends to use to commit a terrorist act.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by doober
The syringe - unless it was the size of a horse syringe - could have been brought on board in a carry-on as a required medical item, even pre-filled as it was according to the NY Times,

and the powder also could have been declared medically necessary, if he were smart enough to do that.

Unfortunately, the people who are going to suffer the most from the actions of this imbecile are those who need to carry syringes and medical supplies.
I think you might be right.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.