Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pax lights fireworks on NW AMS-DTW flight

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2009, 5:00 pm

I hope the explosive was liquid... otherwise they will probably ban all solid baggage.
Old Dec 25, 2009, 5:01 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Excerpts from MSNBC Update indicating the man had a "device" and speculation on "timing:"

Rep. Peter King of New York, the senior Republican on the House Homeland Security Committee, said he had been briefed on the incident and said it “must be looked into” how the man was able to sneak a “somewhat sophisticated device” on board.

King said the suspect was in federal counterterrorism files and may have been on the government’s list of suspicious passengers banned from flying in the United States.

The timing of the attempted attack could be significant. It was eight years ago this week that a similar attempted attack was launched by a British member of al-Qaida who tried to blow up a flight from Paris to Miami by igniting explosives in his shoes. And the attempted attack comes on the same day that the Taliban released a video of a U.S. soldier it is holding captive in Afghanistan.
Old Dec 25, 2009, 5:01 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Have there actually been any credible reports this guy actually had any real explosives or even a remote chance of his "plan" succeeding?
Old Dec 25, 2009, 5:05 pm

Programs: Support the Tyrants Travel Club
well, we could use a lot more folks who are excited to come to Detroit (like this guy).
Old Dec 25, 2009, 5:05 pm

Location: AA Gold/Million Miler,DL dirt,UA1K/Million Miler;Honors Silver,Marriott Gold;Avis Preferred,Hertz Prez Circle, Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
My bet is on expanded gate secondaries.

If someone can prove otherwise, I'm happy to defer, but once again an "incident" with marshals ensconced in loads 'o' F seats elsewhere.
I'd say longgg times to check bags as TSA swabs, reswabs then use new q-tips to swab and reswab again. Expect times to check in to jump. And maybe Johnson and Johnson's stock, who makes swabs to jump also. Hmmmm
Old Dec 25, 2009, 5:06 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by UMassCanuck07
According to Jake Tapper, ABC Sr. White House correspondent, President Obama held a call with Senior Staff about the incident and "following Northwest airlines incident, Dept Homeland Security says plane "Passengers may notice additional screening measures"".
No $41L, Sherlock. TSA now has an excuse to bend over anyone they like.

How many more detentions for $4700 are we going to see?

Originally Posted by UMassCanuck07
Several news sources are also reporting that he was on a "no-fly" list.
Doubtful, as no real terrorists are on the "No-Fly List". Can't let them know we're on to them, you see.

Last edited by n4zhg; Dec 25, 2009 at 5:16 pm
Old Dec 25, 2009, 5:12 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
The latest indication and/or speculation that this might have been an attempted man-caused disaster:

Al Qaeda linked to plane terror plot: AP sources

U.S. officials said a Nigerian man who attempted to blow up a Northwest Air Lines flight landing in Detroit Christmas Day said he was acting on behalf of Al Qaeda.

Rep. Peter King identified the suspect as Abdul Mudallad, and said the flight originated in Nigeria before going to Amsterdam on its way to Detroit.

U.S. intelligence officials said a passenger attempted to use a explosive device made up of a powdery substance and liquid, but the device failed, the Associated Press is reporting.

http://news.sympatico.ctv.ca/World/C...=abc&date=True
Old Dec 25, 2009, 5:20 pm

Blame for this incident being placed on the Bloggers that hosted the poorly redacted SOP in 5...4...3...2...1.
Old Dec 25, 2009, 5:20 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jkhuggins
Hmm. A quick trip to DHS.GOV indicated that the security level was already at Orange for international flights, but only at Yellow for domestic flights.

Since the flight in question was an international flight, already at Orange, I'm not sure what raising the security level for domestic flights accomplishes ...
The home page of the Department of Homeland Security http://www.dhs.gov/index.shtm (lower right hand corner)
says that while the overall Current National Threat Level is elevated (i.e., yellow), "The threat level in the airline sector is High or Orange."

No indication of a distinction between the security level for domestic and international flights. Unless, of course, this reflects a raising of the alert level today.
Old Dec 25, 2009, 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by mglvrug
The home page of the Department of Homeland Security http://www.dhs.gov/index.shtm (lower right hand corner)
says that while the overall Current National Threat Level is elevated (i.e., yellow), "The threat level in the airline sector is High or Orange."

No indication of a distinction between the security level for domestic and international flights.
...The government had no immediate plans after the incident to raise the threat level, a federal government source said...
Old Dec 25, 2009, 5:24 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Trollkiller
Blame for this incident being placed on the Bloggers that hosted the poorly redacted SOP in 5...4...3...2...1.
Never mind that the guy came in on an international flight not in the jurisdiction of TSA.
Old Dec 25, 2009, 5:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by jkhuggins
Hmm. A quick trip to DHS.GOV indicated that the security level was already at Orange for international flights, but only at Yellow for domestic flights.

Since the flight in question was an international flight, already at Orange, I'm not sure what raising the security level for domestic flights accomplishes ...
It helps TSA maintain relevance, nothing more.

Originally Posted by exerda
Have there actually been any credible reports this guy actually had any real explosives or even a remote chance of his "plan" succeeding?
Not yet. Rest assured that TSA will go to extremes to suggest it was a credible attempt.

But let's take a look at what we know right now.

The suspect was supposedly on some sort of terror watch list, yet he was allowed to board an airplane.

The suspect went through screening at an "approved" airport. This means 1) what he had was normally allowable or 2) the screeners screwed up.

The suspect was subdued by passengers, not by on board FAMS.

Can any of the TSA kool aid drinkers tell me just how we're getting a return on our security investment? The reality is this - unless every passenger is strip searched before boarding, a dedicated individual is going to be able to board an aircraft with the capability to do harm, and someday that harm may be carried out. Regardless of whatever draconian measures the TSA thinks up next.
Old Dec 25, 2009, 5:27 pm

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/...n6022161.shtml
The suspect was on a U.S. government watch list of people with suspected terrorist ties.

... The official declined to elaborate on how a man on a U.S. terrorist watch list was able to board the airliner. The official said the U.S. plans "different things at different airports" in response to the incident.
Old Dec 25, 2009, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
What's really sad is that when I got the WSJ email about this incident, one of my first thoughts was that I hope he started at an airport with TSA doing security in addition to hoping it was unsuccessful and no one was injured. It was a close tie as to which was first though.
Old Dec 25, 2009, 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by mglvrug

No indication of a distinction between the security level for domestic and international flights. Unless, of course, this reflects a raising of the alert level today.
Of course, when you click on that logo, the page it takes you to says what I said previously: yellow for domestic, orange for international.

Having said that, the click-through page also has a last modified date of 24 December, which wouldn't account for today's activity ...

EDIT: okay, it appears I can't read either. Yellow applies to everything but aviation, which is at orange. But still, this is dated yesterday, which discounts the report that they were raising the alert level ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.