Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pax lights fireworks on NW AMS-DTW flight

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2009, 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by FCYTravis
Then why did we give those same terrorists money and weapons in the 1980s?

Would America be the Great Satan if it hadn't propped up the despotic Shah of Iran for 30 years?

This is way more complex than "Arab terrorists bad, USA good."
To keep the Soviets from taking the region.

And you are right it is more than "Arab terrorists bad, USA good."

But like I said, let's not Omni this thread.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 1:03 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Originally Posted by Trollkiller
I just saw a snippet of it. I think he is still excited about what happened but he is trying to play it down.
Who wouldn't be a bit excited? He appeared to me to be quite articulate and, naturally, a bit fidgety at first like someone unaccustomed to being on camera.

Did you catch his bandaged right hand? He must be the pax reported to have sustained minor injuries.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
Meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Originally Posted by TSORon
Look up the term "Provide for the common defense"
What you don't seem to see is an out of control TSA making folks study a slightly earlier document which includes the line:

"But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security."

Of course this document is not legally binding, and the Constitution now makes attempting to follow it treason. But your agency was founded by George II. . .
Old Dec 26, 2009, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by sbrower
People want to look for simple solutions to calm their panic. "Take away the box cutters!!!"[/INDENT]
As someone who used to fly regularly pre-9/11 knives/box cutters were not allowed onto airplanes. However myself and many other people in my industry who carried specialized tools for work routinely brought knives far bigger than a pocket knife into the cabin. If the box cutters had been stopped at security things would have been very different.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN Platinum
Originally Posted by magellan315
As someone who used to fly regularly pre-9/11 knives/box cutters were not allowed onto airplanes. However myself and many other people in my industry who carried specialized tools for work routinely brought knives far bigger than a pocket knife into the cabin. If the box cutters had been stopped at security things would have been very different.
Ya think? The terrorists could simply proclaim they had explosives, and people would still have complied and the terrorists could still have flown the planes into the towers.

The problem was pre 9/11, people did what airline hijackers demanded. These days are over, and the terrorists know it. If they try to do anything, passengers are not going to be passive and allow the terrorists to do what they want.

So the standard operating procedures were mainly to blame to allow the 9/11 to happen.

As proved yesterday, passengers now are jumping into action to stop terrorists, and as a result we are all much safer.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by essxjay
Who wouldn't be a bit excited? He appeared to me to be quite articulate and, naturally, a bit fidgety at first like someone unaccustomed to being on camera.

Did you catch his bandaged right hand? He must be the pax reported to have sustained minor injuries.
His accent reminded me of the foreign guys on Family Guy.

So do you think he will get free flights now?
Old Dec 26, 2009, 1:41 pm

CNN just said he has been charged and they gave the explosive type. PK(something) I am sorry I was not able to catch it.

Here it is off of Fox

A preliminary FBI analysis found that the device contained PETN, also known as pentaerythritol, a high explosive.

Hey look you can buy it here. http://www.coleparmer.com/catalog/pr...u=8813162&pfx=

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentaer...l_tetranitrate

Last edited by Trollkiller; Dec 26, 2009 at 1:48 pm
Old Dec 26, 2009, 1:42 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Originally Posted by magellan315
Nice statement, but it isn't true. By memory the restriction was 4" blades. Box cutters were allowed.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 1:56 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Originally Posted by TSORon
Look up the term "Provide for the common defense"
Article I, Section 8, Clause 1:
The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defence and general Welfare of the United States; but all Duties, Imposts and Excises shall be uniform throughout the United States;
'Shall have power to [act]' is not synonymous with a requirement to act.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 1:57 pm

Programs: CO, UA, AA, WN, DL Gold
Enemy?

What is truly mind boggling is the fact that a Muslim terrorist tried to down an American plane and almost everyone on this thread is carping at the TSA. Let's identify the enemy here people.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by thebat
What is truly mind boggling is the fact that a Muslim terrorist tried to down an American plane and almost everyone on this thread is carping at the TSA. Let's identify the enemy here people.
Wow, are you really that naive?

Do you think the rest of us are so stupid so as not to recognize security theater when we see it? You must think we're truly blind and stupid. Sadly for you that is not the case.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by exerda
This is one of the most asinine, insulting, and downright stupid things I've read on this forum in a long, long time. (And I frequent OMNI/PR, so I've seen my fair share of all of those things.)

It's insulting to the memories of those who died on 9/11 to even remotely use it to justify the ...-clowning going on at the TSA.

I'm speechless. Or at least speechless in so far as what I'd say would violate the TOS.
Absolutely agree.

The 9/11 victims would be horrified at the stupidity inflicted upon the American people in their name. This is beyond asinine.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by thebat
We have identified the enemy and it is the TSA. They have FAILED in their mandate to secure air traffic. They have FAILED to honor their oath to the Constitution. In thier failure and enthusiastic trampling of the Constitution and statutory laws, they have become the enemy.

Muslim terrorists we can kill, we can't do the same to the TSA.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Well, it’s been shown again that PAX will jump into action even at the risk of injury to themselves ^:

A man sitting across from Mutallab, Jasper Schuringa, sprang into action, climbing over other passengers to restrain the terrorist, and suffering burns in the process, said Smith.

Syed Jafry, who was three rows behind the suspect, said another "young man behind me jumped on him.

The ordeal ended when "a sturdy guy put a lock on [Mutallab's] head," and dragged him to the front of the plane, Veena Saigl, told the Detroit Free Press. Mudallad's "pants were down," she said.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This, imho, is the singular most important change to air travel that has made it much safer. All the rest of the security theater? Not so much.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.