Search

Pax lights fireworks on NW AMS-DTW flight

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2009, 3:46 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by GoingAway
What's really sad is that when I got the WSJ email about this incident, one of my first thoughts was that I hope he started at an airport with TSA doing security in addition to hoping it was unsuccessful and no one was injured. It was a close tie as to which was first though.
TSA-approved screening at AMS for US airlines flying from AMS to the US isn't up for discussion yet?

These additional TSA-required and approved "feel good" "security" measures at AMS didn't do anything to prevent this incident and yet now it's clear that we are going to get more "feel good" "security" garbage from the TSA and "TSA-approved".
Old Dec 26, 2009, 3:46 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by doober
The Wiki link posted by richardd states that it was PETN that Reid used to try to light his shoe. Is that correct?
I might be wrong about this in my recollection, but it sounds correct to me.

That nutcase tried to ignite wire leads but failed in that too.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 3:48 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by doober
The Wiki link posted by richardd states that it was PETN that Reid used to try to light his shoe. Is that correct?
I believe that is correct.

And we've paid for it with the Shoe Carnival ever since, despite it not being a credible threat. As GUWonder pointed out, Reid tried to light wires.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 3:50 pm

Programs: AA LT G (1MM);DL G, UA GM
Originally Posted by GUWonder
FAMs are generally going to remain useless when it comes to preventing explosions and flames on planes too.
Especially if they're in 1A and anyone bent on mischief is in the back of coach. How 'bout having FAMs sit in 36C?
Old Dec 26, 2009, 3:58 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Fornebufox
Especially if they're in 1A and anyone bent on mischief is in the back of coach. How 'bout having FAMs sit in 36C?
Don't forget that FAMs have eyes in the back of their head with special "x-ray" vision. That's why they can sit securely in the forward cabin and other better seats in the plane.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 4:02 pm

I have found no evidence that a FAM was on this flight.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 4:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: confidential
This person was either a novice or someone who needed money and was being paid to carry out the act.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 4:26 pm

Welcome to the unleashed monster....

No standing, electronic devices, carry ons for the last hour of the flight.

Because some idiot tried to light something on fire?

Cmon TSA! Are we going to stop these knee-jerk reactions to non-serious threats?

What if a female terrorist tries to light a string on her personal hygene device? Will the TSA ban those and insist that all female passengers go through additional screening?

Old Dec 26, 2009, 4:48 pm

I liked this comment from the NY Times blog:
Really? Some nitwit tries to light off a bomb in the last hour of the flight and now we can't stand up in the last hour of flight? What if it had been the middle hour, would we have to stay seated during the middle hour of flight? If it had been a westbound flight, would all passengers on westbound flights have to stay seated? This sounds idiotic.
The general reaction on their website has not been at all favorable to TSA or the security carnival.

I'm curious to learn what Napolitano has to say about why they let a guy who was already on the watch list on a flight without intensive screening.

And big thanks due to the Dutch passenger who seems to have executed gymnast-level skills to take down the terrorist. I hope he gets upgraded on every plane trip he ever takes for the rest of his life.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Just listened to the news and some of the comments that inbound passengers are making about the new extra procedures just make me sad. These people really believe the bs is actually accomplishing something.

- The guy was on a watch list and still allowed to board a plane to the US
- AMS handled the security, not TSA and messed up
- The syringe was on his body, what does that have to do with carry on luggage or access thereto

The bad guys win again
Old Dec 26, 2009, 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by lupine
And big thanks due to the Dutch passenger who seems to have executed gymnast-level skills to take down the terrorist. I hope he gets upgraded on every plane trip he ever takes for the rest of his life.
You know you never picture the Dutch as commando types.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 4:58 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Trollkiller
You know you never picture the Dutch as commando types.
I can't say that, but it may depends if you are familiar with how brutal the Dutch occupiers of Indonesia were.

Fortunately this is a situation that does not exhibit that image or the same image as that of Dutch (inaction) when on the ground in the Former Yugoslavia.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
I can't say that, but it may depends if you are familiar with how brutal the Dutch occupiers of Indonesia were.

Fortunately this is a situation that does not exhibit that image or the same image as that of Dutch (inaction) when on the ground in the Former Yugoslavia.
I must say about all I know of the Dutch is chocolate, wooden shoes, tulips and windmills.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
Originally Posted by tev9999
(PDF) http://www.sciencelab.com/xMSDS-Pentaerythritol-9926416
Does not appear to be all that nasty of stuff.
Originally Posted by Trollkiller
A preliminary FBI analysis found that the device contained PETN, also known as pentaerythritol (NO, incorrect), a high explosive.

Hey look you can buy it here. http://www.coleparmer.com/catalog/pr...u=8813162&pfx=

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentaer...l_tetranitrate
LOL are you all graduates of the Al Kidda Kemistry for (failed) Wannabe Jihadists or the Kip Hawley School of Explosive Water Kemistry?

Cole Parmer does not repeat does not sell high explosives to the general public. The high explosive pentaerythritol tetranitrate mw 316.137 is not the same as pentaerythritol mw 136.15, although it is made from it.

Thankfully, the radical Madrasahs teach lots of hate theology but no math and science. Good for us the idiots limit themselves to 14th century science technology and cannot make a reliable working 21st century bomb. Thank goodness pure hate is not a high explosive.

And the Lagos Leg Bomber's dad is reported to be a Nigerian Banker. Reportedly he has $20 million USD for the first FTer to do a MR to LOS under the new regulations. . .
Old Dec 26, 2009, 5:07 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ONLY_no_One
This person was either a novice or someone who needed money and was being paid to carry out the act.
The person who is being checked out most vigorously right now has a UCL student affiliation in the UK where his studies were focused on mechanical engineering. While his job prospects in the current environment may have been up in the air prior to this in-the-air incident, I highly doubt that this was someone who was being paid money to carry out an act of terrorism that would kill innocent people and himself on the flight. A dead person is what a person would risk being if purposely deciding to blow up an explosive device on their person, and dead people have little use for money where they end up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.