Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pax lights fireworks on NW AMS-DTW flight

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2009, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by DevilDog438
From the poster of that video:

So, there was an igniter/blasting cap of some kind, which was initiated through the sparkler fuse.
I must be blind, I can not find that comment you posted on that page. Where did you quote from?
Old Dec 27, 2009, 10:12 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Bonehead
Guys, you don't doubt that these freaks hadn't tested their system and produced a nice explosion that would have brought down a plane, do you?
Don't underestimate their incompetence either. While the criminals do get lucky too often, they often fail due to incompetence. This person -- if he studied engineering -- is certainly a rather stupid engineer who would make for even a miserable student of even a good high school chemistry class.

That there haven't been more aviation-related deaths due to criminal activity in the past several years is a product largely of: the general kind of incompetence that is the measure of the people attracted to criminal activity; and the lack of willing, suicidal persons to target aviation-related targets.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 10:14 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Dia, SPG Gold, MR Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Trollkiller
I must be blind, I can not find that comment you posted on that page. Where did you quote from?
Click the "View all 11 comments" link.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Don't underestimate their incompetence either. While the criminals do get lucky too often, they often fail due to incompetence. This person -- if he studied engineering -- is certainly a rather stupid engineer who would make for even a miserable student of even a good high school chemistry class.

That there haven't been more aviation-related deaths due to criminal activity in the past several years is a product largely of: the general kind of incompetence that is the measure of the people attracted to criminal activity; and the lack of willing, suicidal persons to target aviation-related targets.
It sounds like a reasonably complex "device" (if that's what you can call PETN in a condom), complete with liquid detonator in a syringe. Several news reports (which I've quoted) said that we got lucky this time, perhaps because the detonator wasn't injected quite right. I wouldn't become too sanguine about this failure...these guys are relentless.

ETA: If you think about it, this is the bomb maker's worst nightmare...the device failed and is in the hands of the Feds, the MO is clear, and the perp is apparently singing like a canary.

Last edited by Bonehead; Dec 27, 2009 at 10:24 am
Old Dec 27, 2009, 10:22 am

Click the "View all 11 comments" link.
I had clicked "Show More".

Ok time for School, teacher. Is the guy using a sparkler as a back up to the electric igniter?
Old Dec 27, 2009, 10:32 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Dia, SPG Gold, MR Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Trollkiller
I had clicked "Show More".

Ok time for School, teacher. Is the guy using a sparkler as a back up to the electric igniter?
I would have to have a much longer conversation with my EOD friend about that one. I will not claim to be an explosives expert, merely that I called a buddy of mine that works EOD for a living.

According to my earlier, very brief (less than 5 minute) conversation, he said to think of it as similar to trying to make diesel fuel explode - it needs a large amount of heat rapidly applied (you can throw a box of lit matches in a pool of diesel and it will not ignite), or significant pressure applied in a short period of time (hence the use of either a flame- or electrically-ignited blasting device for PETN or the compression forces found in a diesel engine). Of course, this was a layman-level conversation, no deep scientific/mathematical conversations as he was on his way to work for the day.

I think, in this case, based on the video poster's comments, that he was using the sparkler as the motive force to light the igniter, which provided the shock force to initiate the PETN explosion.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 10:36 am

I would have to have a much longer conversation with my EOD friend about that one. I will not claim to be an explosives expert, merely that I called a buddy of mine that works EOD for a living.

According to my earlier, very brief (less than 5 minute) conversation, he said to think of it as similar to trying to make diesel fuel explode - it needs a large amount of heat rapidly applied (you can throw a box of lit matches in a pool of diesel and it will not ignite), or significant pressure applied in a short period of time (hence the use of either a flame- or electrically-ignited blasting device for PETN or the compression forces found in a diesel engine). Of course, this was a layman-level conversation, no deep scientific/mathematical conversations as he was on his way to work for the day.

I think, in this case, based on the video poster's comments, that he was using the sparkler as the motive force to light the igniter, which provided the shock force to initiate the PETN explosion.
The way the youtube poster is doing it sounds to me like a very unsafe way to set off an explosive.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 10:47 am

Programs: Alaska 100K, National and Avis Elite member
Originally Posted by OverThereTooMuch

It's a shame that airlines that implemented the "1 carry on" rule still insist on gouging customers by requiring them to pay to check any extra bags they may have. With absolutely zero time for travellers to prepare for this, they should be waiving these fees.
According to the Alaska Airlines website:

"From Canada or Mexico, carry-on luggage will also be searched at the departure gate. Transport Canada has limited the number of carry-on luggage to one (1) through the security checkpoint for passengers traveling from Canada to the United States. To minimize boarding delays, passengers are encouraged to check all their luggage. Alaska Airlines and Horizon Air will waive baggage fees for items checked as baggage that the passenger otherwise would have taken aboard as carry-on baggage from Canada or Mexico."

So at least Alaska Air won't gouge passengers under the circumstances.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 10:48 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
It's all a moot point, since "the system worked," according to DHS Secretary Janet Napolitano.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 10:55 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Bonehead
It sounds like a reasonably complex "device" (if that's what you can call PETN in a condom), complete with liquid detonator in a syringe. Several news reports (which I've quoted) said that we got lucky this time, perhaps because the detonator wasn't injected quite right. I wouldn't become too sanguine about this failure...these guys are relentless.

ETA: If you think about it, this is the bomb maker's worst nightmare...the device failed and is in the hands of the Feds, the MO is clear, and the perp is apparently singing like a canary.
It actually is unlikely to be the bomb-maker's worst nightmare. It's more like a dream scenario for an incompetent bomb-maker who knows the bomb-making skills are: too poor to be effective as a bomb-makers; but rich enough to cause major disruption far out of proportion to the "effectiveness" of the "bomb" because reactive foolishness and paranoid-fueled hysteria knows few boundaries when it comes to aviation even when failure of the "device" to explode is a given.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 11:01 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Fredd
It's all a moot point, since "the system worked," according to DHS Secretary Janet Napolitano.
She doesn't believe what she is saying and/or she is testifying to her own incompetence.

If "the system worked" as intended, then all these rushed "security" changes wouldn't be "necessary" to prevent whatever "the system worked" to prevent with regard to this incident.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by Rickrich
According to the Alaska Airlines website:

"From Canada or Mexico, carry-on luggage will also be searched at the departure gate. Transport Canada has limited the number of carry-on luggage to one (1) through the security checkpoint for passengers traveling from Canada to the United States. To minimize boarding delays, passengers are encouraged to check all their luggage. Alaska Airlines and Horizon Air will waive baggage fees for items checked as baggage that the passenger otherwise would have taken aboard as carry-on baggage from Canada or Mexico."

So at least Alaska Air won't gouge passengers under the circumstances.
Or, more optimistically, they're expecting the one-bag rule not to last long?
Old Dec 27, 2009, 11:03 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Fredd
An interesting article in the Independent, with one excerpt below:

The high explosive Abdulmutallab used was identified by the FBI as Pentaerythritol, better known as PETN – a major component of Semtex. He injected a detonating liquid into the PETN with a syringe, but the bomb failed to explode.

The revelation of Abdulmutallab's background has confounded terror experts. Dr Magnus Ranstorp of the Center for Asymmetric Threat Studies at the Swedish National Defence College said that the attempted bombing "didn't square".

"On the one hand, it seems he's been on the terror watch list but not on the no-fly list," he said. "That doesn't square because the American Department for Homeland Security has pretty stringent data-mining capability. I don't understand how he had a valid visa if he was known on the terror watch list.

"Why didn't he go to the toilets to detonate the bomb? Why would he try to set it off 20 minutes before he's going to land? It could probably have been successful had the person not been amateurish. I think this is a sign that it's much more difficult now for al-Qa'ida to pull off something serious."

Chaim Koppel, a security consultant, added: "I think the explosive was supposed to go bang rather than just start a fire. The terrorists probably didn't mix it well enough. Maybe they didn't do enough practice runs, but the more the guy is trained, the more exposed he is to MI5, MI6, the FBI and other security agencies, so he probably didn't receive enough training."
Magnus Ranstorp is a buffoon in these matters and his naivete is on display above again.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 11:20 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond

That jives with what I know of the matter as well (I'm not an expert on the matter--just someone who read a lot about explosives at one point, and who has hung out with people who are). You can light PETN on fire, but it's very unlikely to detonate in that circumstance. Toss it into an inferno, though, and it's going to go BOOM.

Hence people like Richard Reid really had next to no chance of success.

Assuming--for the sake of argument--this guy had a sensitive peroxide explosive in his syringe, I suppose he could have used that as a detonator. Still not something I'd as a would-be suicide bomber or a bomb maker want to trust as to working even a reasonable % of the time.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by GUWonder
... rich enough to cause major disruption far out of proportion to the "effectiveness" of the "bomb"...
So you think that they really didn't want the thing to work? I think that an A333 exploding on final to DTW would cause a somewhat larger "disruption" than we are seeing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.