Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pax lights fireworks on NW AMS-DTW flight

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2009, 2:33 pm

Programs: Holiday Inn Plat NW gold AA gold
Originally Posted by mbstone
It's not necessary to kill oneself, mere self-sterilization will do.

Darwin Awards -- History and Rules

The candidate must remove herself from the gene pool.

The prime tenet of the Darwin Awards is that we are celebrating the self-removal of incompetent genetic material from the human race. Therefore, the potential winner must be deceased, or at least incapable of reproducing. The traditional method is death. However, an occasional rebel opts for sterilization, which allows her more time to enjoy the dubious notoriety of winning a Darwin Award.

He might still qualify since he's going to be going away for a very long time.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by essxjay
Not to discount your point but I'd argue that reinforced cockpits is the more significant safety move. The new Flight 93 rules make for better threads though.
I am not too worried about the flight home from ZRH on Tuesday. I won't necessary to put additional screening at the gates. So it will be lifted the restrictions. So should I have to process through at security checkpoint? I am not aware about security measures. The 1 hours ruled does not to be existed. It's won't be necessary to remains in the seated. There is no such new policies at all.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by mbstone
It's not necessary to kill oneself, mere self-sterilization will do.

Darwin Awards -- History and Rules

The candidate must remove herself from the gene pool.

The prime tenet of the Darwin Awards is that we are celebrating the self-removal of incompetent genetic material from the human race. Therefore, the potential winner must be deceased, or at least incapable of reproducing. The traditional method is death. However, an occasional rebel opts for sterilization, which allows her more time to enjoy the dubious notoriety of winning a Darwin Award.

Even if he did not fully burn down the factory, so to speak, I don't think he will ever make babies.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 2:57 pm

Programs: Dirt Status w/ All
MSDS on Pentaerythritol

(PDF) http://www.sciencelab.com/xMSDS-Pentaerythritol-9926416

Does not appear to be all that nasty of stuff.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 3:08 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by exerda
And the thing that the TSA and DHS (and morons like Peter King { although I prefer the descriptive term "imbecile"*}) need to get drilled into their heads: you cannot detonate PETN by lighting it on fire. It will burn, and may even crackle and bang a bit, but it will not explosively detonate.
Which would explain why this incident was initially described as a passenger setting off fireworks.

*which also describes the perp in this incident.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by tev9999
(PDF) http://www.sciencelab.com/xMSDS-Pentaerythritol-9926416

Does not appear to be all that nasty of stuff.
Try this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentaer...l_tetranitrate
Old Dec 26, 2009, 3:15 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
CNN: Stop quoting anonymous ex-government "experts!"

I can understand having unnamed sources currently working for the government, but they just read off a lengthy "sky is falling" statement attributed to a "former government employee with experience in aviation" (or something to that effect).

Basically, the guy claimed that this loser had to have been "trained" (and thus not acting alone) in part because he (1) had PETN, which someone in this thread has already shown not to be that hard to come by; (2) covered himself with a blanket (bye, bye, blankets and pillows...); and (3) chose a seat over a fuel tank (huh, not like that hasn't been discussed ad nauseum--come on, middle school kids know that without having gone through terrorist boot camp...).

Of course, CNN made him or her out as some sort of "expert." Easy to hide behind anonymity when making such silly charges.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 3:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by FCYTravis
I'm sorry, but this line doesn't work on people who actually know what they're talking about.

What thing that the TSA does would have prevented 9/11 from happening?

Right, nothing.

9/11 happened because the terrorists were smart enough to exploit a huge hole in our psychological understanding of hijackings. It was a brilliant attack.

For that very reason, 9/11 can never happen again. The pilots won't react the same way, flight attendants won't react the same way and passengers certainly won't react the same way.

TSA's tin-star "heroes" staring at naked people and making sure we don't carry on shampoo are not only unhelpful, their singular focus on stuff that already happened is actively detracting from airline security.

The next attack will be something completely unexpected and the TSA will be caught with its pants down again. That's how terrorism works.
^^

Ron and the rest of the TSA alleged "security professionals" simply don't get it. Lax gate security was not the reason the 9/11 attacks succeeded, and imposing silly and ineffectual "one-hour" rules won't stop anything.

It will result in fewer tourists coming to the US, and more financial pain on the airlines.

Good job Ron - you and your fellow "experts" have done it again.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by doober
Which would explain why this incident was initially described as a passenger setting off fireworks.

*which also describes the perp in this incident.
I'll add some more info, too.

The MSDS for PETN "can" detonate in fires--but that means of course a fire, not someone trying to light it with a match or lighter.

Despite all the cautionary statements in the MSDS about keeping away from fire, static electricity, etc., PETN is set off via blasting cap. It's not like you can just stick a match to detcord (Primacord being one brand-name PETN-based detonation cord).

Now, could someone who manages to get a bunch of PETN onto a plane (which is a solid explosive, TSA and CNN, not a liquid explosive), I suppose they could have some sort of detonating device, too...

... but that sure doesn't seem to be the case with this idiot, no matter how the authorities and the media try to spin it.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 3:30 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
So much for the TSA-approved screening at AMS by "behavior detection officer"-equivalents approved by the TSA for use to screen on US-bound flights operated by US carriers from AMS to DTW.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 3:33 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by spainflyer
FAM in 1B. Chewin' tabacca. Diddn see a thing!
FAMs are generally going to remain useless when it comes to preventing explosions and flames on planes too.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by GUWonder
FAMs are generally going to remain useless when it comes to preventing explosions and flames on planes too.
It won't be necessary is not deployed all FAM onboard the aircraft bound for USA flight.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 3:40 pm

CNN interviewed a pax who claimed on a MEM-IAD flight, every single pax was wanded, and it took 2 hours to screen the plane.

I nearly had a stroke thinking about it.

Janet Napolitono needs to be put in prison.

This "safety at any cost" stuff over terrorism needs to be flushed down the waste bin of history. Hey, many more people die due to drowning in swimming pools every year in the USA--let's just ban pools. What about drunk driving? Let's install sensors in all cars that shut off the engine when alcohol vapors are detected in the driver's area.

See how stupid this is?
Old Dec 26, 2009, 3:43 pm

Programs: SSSSS
CNN interviewed a pax who claimed on a MEM-IAD flight, every single pax was wanded, and it took 2 hours to screen the plane.

I nearly had a stroke thinking about it.

Janet Napolitono needs to be put in prison.

This "safety at any cost" stuff over terrorism needs to be flushed down the waste bin of history. Hey, many more people die due to drowning in swimming pools every year in the USA--let's just ban pools. What about drunk driving? Let's install sensors in all cars that shut off the engine when alcohol vapors are detected in the driver's area.

See how stupid this is?
And how many former airline passengers will be killed in car accidents as a result of not wanting to fly because they can't eat, drink, read, think en route?
Old Dec 26, 2009, 3:45 pm
Suspended

CNN: Stop quoting anonymous ex-government "experts!"

I can understand having unnamed sources currently working for the government, but they just read off a lengthy "sky is falling" statement attributed to a "former government employee with experience in aviation" (or something to that effect).

Basically, the guy claimed that this loser had to have been "trained" (and thus not acting alone) in part because he (1) had PETN, which someone in this thread has already shown not to be that hard to come by; (2) covered himself with a blanket (bye, bye, blankets and pillows...); and (3) chose a seat over a fuel tank (huh, not like that hasn't been discussed ad nauseum--come on, middle school kids know that without having gone through terrorist boot camp...).

Of course, CNN made him or her out as some sort of "expert." Easy to hide behind anonymity when making such silly charges.
The Wiki link posted by richardd states that it was PETN that Reid used to try to light his shoe. Is that correct?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.