Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pax lights fireworks on NW AMS-DTW flight

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2009, 7:10 pm

Any TSA or airline employees that want to get out the real story while being protected visit my blog and hit the anonymous tip box. (left side of every page)
Old Dec 25, 2009, 7:10 pm

Programs: Dirt Status w/ All
I'm just glad the media is getting input from highly qualified experts in aviation.

J.P. Karas, 55, of Wyandotte, Mich., said he was driving down a road near the airport and saw a Delta jet at the end of the runway, surrounded by police cars, an ambulance, a bus and some TV trucks.

“I don’t ever recall seeing a plane on that runway ever before and I pass by there frequently,” he said.

Karas said it was difficult to tell what was going on, but it looked like the front wheel was off the runway.
Old Dec 25, 2009, 7:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by halls120
It helps TSA maintain relevance, nothing more.

Not yet. Rest assured that TSA will go to extremes to suggest it was a credible attempt.

But let's take a look at what we know right now.

The suspect was supposedly on some sort of terror watch list, yet he was allowed to board an airplane.

The suspect went through screening at an "approved" airport. This means 1) what he had was normally allowable or 2) the screeners screwed up.

The suspect was subdued by passengers, not by on board FAMS.

Can any of the TSA kool aid drinkers tell me just how we're getting a return on our security investment? The reality is this - unless every passenger is strip searched before boarding, a dedicated individual is going to be able to board an aircraft with the capability to do harm, and someday that harm may be carried out. Regardless of whatever draconian measures the TSA thinks up next.
The TSA cannot do nothing, even if a rational knowledgeable individual would conclude that this incident was on the order of a Richard Reid or shampoo bomber. The TSA will spend a few tens of millions of our dollars out at Sandia to make the two substances explode under carefully-controlled laboratory conditions to conclude that the threat is real and lurking under desks at every airport in America.

The intensity of the security theater increase will be directly proportional to the amount of bad publicity the TSA wishes to deflect. The biggie will be that this guy was on the "list" but was allowed to get on an airplane anyway. Another biggie will be that (apparently) the passengers gang-tackled the guy -- not FAMs. (Expect the TSA to take credit for Layer #20 in action.) The third biggie will be when someone in Congress rips the TSA a new one for doing very little to develop non-intrusive means to screen for explosives.

I also expect the TSA and local governments to conduct visible and highly-publicized harassment (to make the local news) of innocent passengers at train stations, ferries, and bus stops.

We, the American People, will pay for this with our checkbooks, our Constitution, and with our dignity at airports.

Programs: ADL, ACLU, NRA, HRC, NCLR, WBCA
Originally Posted by MSY-MSP
i think you may be right. rumor i am hearing as i just flew is absolute ban on liquids and powders in both checked and carryon. basically anything other than clothes shoes or electronics will be gone. keep in mind this is rumor and not fact.
LOL kewl. Why not just finish killing off the airline industry?

Statement by Department of Homeland Security Press Secretary Sara Kuban

Release Date: December 25, 2009

For Immediate Release
Office of the Press Secretary

“Department of Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano has been briefed on the incident aboard Northwest Airlines flight #253 and is closely monitoring the situation.

Passengers may notice additional screening measures put into place to ensure the safety of the traveling public on domestic and international flights.

As always we encourage the traveling public to be observant and aware of their surroundings and report any suspicious behavior or activity to law enforcement officials.

We encourage those with future travel plans to stay in touch with their airline and to visit www.tsa.gov for updates.”
Old Dec 25, 2009, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
"He was trying to ignite some kind of incendiary device," said a federal anti-terrorism official, who requested anonymity because of the sensitivity of the case. "He lit himself on fire and he's suffered some burns."

Betcha' he sustained some injuries when the other PAX tackled him.
Old Dec 25, 2009, 7:16 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Taj Silver
Originally Posted by ajax
I believe the man flew from LOS-AMS-DTW. It has been a very long time since I've transferred from non-Schengen to non-Schengen at AMS, but I believe that you do not get security-screened again.
Sure you do. AMS screens at the gate, at least for flights on US airlines.

You certainly wouldn't go through passport control in AMS in these circumstances.
Agreed.
Old Dec 25, 2009, 7:17 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by thezipper
in ICN watching CNN... OMG! they even are playing the race card using "and this flight flew into detroit, the city with the largest muslim population in the US"... and it is so wack! I DO NOT look forward to coming home to kabuki security after this... jeez.
Reporters make inferences. When this thread started it was about some idiot setting off fireworks on a plane. December 25 does also happen to be significant for members of the Christian religion, but that "fact" has not been mentioned by reporters in anything I've seen up to now, perhaps to avoid similar accusations of "racism."The following are "facts" as of now, according to ABC News:

The man said he was directed by al Qaeda to explode a small device in flight, over U.S. soil...

Authorities have no corroboration of that information...

The suspect was identified as Abdul Farouk Abdulmutallab, 23, who according to federal documents is an engineering student at University College of London...

He was flying from Nigeria to the United States for a religious ceremony, according to his entry visa...

The suspect had been in a law enforcement-intelligence database but was not on the government's no-fly list...

IMHO it wasn't out of line for the CNN report to mention the "Detroit angle" in passing. YMMV.
Old Dec 25, 2009, 7:18 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by TamCaP
Originally Posted by Fredd
Let's have a big Shout Out for ABC as well:

Man Attempts to Set Off Explosives on Plane
Two Injured in Northwest Airlines Flight From Amsterdam to Detroit

Federal officials and police are interviewing a Nigerian man, who allegedly tried to "explode" a powdery substance aboard a flight from Amsterdam to Detroit, injuring himself and two other passengers, law enforcement officials said.

http://abcnews.go.com/Travel/explosi...ory?id=9423871
Oh, snap. Can you say.... pppppowder ban?
nah, i vote no more lighters and matches effective january 1, 2010. wait-didn't we already do this?

Originally Posted by p1cunnin
Over / under on how many days before we see a "powder ban" and / or mandatory swabs on all carry-ons? Or ban on any "ignition sources"? Or "empty all pockets"?
see my comment above. 2 hockey pucks says no more lighters and matches effective january 1, 1010

Originally Posted by jeffreyt
NBC is reporting that Homeland Security has raised the security level to Orange following this incident.
not according to the dhs website as of 6:12pm pst today . yellow for everything other than domestic and international flights which are orange and iirc, the kettle calming voice over the airpot p/a's has always been saying orange. http://www.dhs.gov/index.shtm (near the bottom) and http://www.dhs.gov/files/programs/Co...ease_0046.shtm

Originally Posted by doober
Stupidity from a passenger:

Rich Griffith, a passenger from Pontiac, said he was seated too far in the back to see what had happened. But he said he didn't mind being detained on the plane for several hours. ''It's frustrating if you don't want to keep your country safe,'' he said. ''We can't have what's going on everywhere else happening here.''
What the heck is that statement supposed to mean and WHY does the media report such stupidity?

Sorry. Link
kettle is as kettle does

Originally Posted by Fredd
CBS is now quoting ABC:

ABC News is reporting that "the man said he was directed by al Qaeda to explode a small device in flight, over U.S. soil." But, ABC adds that "authorities have no corroboration of that information, and the credibility of the suspect's statements are being questioned, officials said."

The man was apparently on the government's no-fly list of suspected terrorists, a senior intelligence official told ABC.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/...html?tag=stack

And it was starting off as a slow news day...
emphasis mine:and out of an abundance of caution, the tsa & dhs effed up but speakign of an abundance of caution....

here is the latest spatement* from our beloved tsa. so how many times does the tsa us the expression "out of an abundance of caution"? wonder if they have it trademarked yet?

*remember, spatement = a combination of spin and statement
Old Dec 25, 2009, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Originally Posted by MSY-MSP
i think you may be right. rumor i am hearing as i just flew is absolute ban on liquids and powders in both checked and carryon. basically anything other than clothes shoes or electronics will be gone. keep in mind this is rumor and not fact.
You need to stop talking to UA FAs.
Old Dec 25, 2009, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"Houston, We Have A Puppy Post..."

Here is how PV has responded to Richard Reid II...

My vote is that we just ignore it.
Old Dec 25, 2009, 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by Trollkiller
Any TSA or airline employees that want to get out the real story while being protected visit my blog and hit the anonymous tip box. (left side of every page)
I can honestly tell you we on the front lines as of now are not aware of much. We do expect things to change, but so far have heard nothing about bans on LGAs, powders, or lighters. Just left work. This might change as of tomorrow.

Edit: I would like to say that I am grateful no one was killed, or badly hurt, and all the people on board get to return to their families.
Old Dec 25, 2009, 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much

To be fair ... that was up since last night. And even if there was someone manning the TSA Blog tonight, what could they say? "Yeah, something happened, we're looking at it, no comment." Hardly a post that inspires dialog.
Old Dec 25, 2009, 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much

That holiday PV post has was up before I heard about this. I don't think it was in response to the "terrorist" attack.
Old Dec 25, 2009, 7:42 pm
mkt

Programs: AA LT PLT; DL GLD, UA nothing, B6 Mosaic; Emerald Club Executive
Originally Posted by wilp888
God help those of us who have International travel for the next few weeks. It's going to be absolute chaos.
That's me tomorrow morning. SJU-PTY-GUA.

I'm deciding whether or not to carry on or check the bag containing my disposable razors.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.