Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pax lights fireworks on NW AMS-DTW flight

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2009, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by sbrower
Is there any factual basis for this false statement? Have you read the 9/11 report and the statements by the head of the airilne pilots security committee?
If you have and there is something pertinent in that section of the report please share it with us. Along with a web link so we can verify your statement,
Old Dec 26, 2009, 11:55 am
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Originally Posted by magellan315
If you have and there is something pertinent in that section of the report please share it with us. Along with a web link so we can verify your statement,
Here is the quote which I posted in 2006, and maybe a few times previously:
If you actually read the 9/11 Commission Report you will see that weapons are not the issue. At page 85:
This prevailing Common Strategy of cooperation and nonconfrontation meant that even a hardened cockpit door would have made little difference in a hijacking. As the chairman of the Security Committee of the Air Line Pilots Association observed when proposals were made in early 2001 to install reinforced cockpit doors in commercial aircraft, "Even if you make a vault out of the door, if they have a noose around my flight attendant's neck, I'm going to open the door."
People want to look for simple solutions to calm their panic. "Take away the box cutters!!!" But the pilot said a noose would be sufficient
If you get the report (just about any bookstore) you can find this. In other words, he was saying that a reinforced door was meaningless, because if you threatened his crew he would open the door. Why did he say that? Because prior to 9/11, it was doctrine to *cooperate* with hijackers because all they wanted was to fly to Cuba (or somewhere similar) and let all the passengers get off.

Indeed, prior to 9/11, more airline passengers had been killed by airline personnel (pilots and the PSA guy) than by non-employee terrorists.

Now, what is the weblink (or other reference) that you were relying on in saying that there were pre 9/11 rules that were not followed that, if followed, would have prevented 9/11?
Old Dec 26, 2009, 12:05 pm

CNN reports (http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/europe...don/index.html) that:

"passengers boarding a U.S.-bound Virgin Atlantic aircraft were told there would be no in-flight electronic entertainment in the wake of the incident."

Now that will certainly keep them safe!! I guess the TSA isn't the only organization capable of inventing totally ineffective rules in the name of security theater.

(Sorry about the truncated format above - link embedding does not work.)
Old Dec 26, 2009, 12:18 pm

Location: Near Chicago and Under the MDW and ORD Flight Paths, IL, USA
Programs: UA recovering Premier
It's Official: "Consistent inconsistency"

"Passengers flying from international locations to U.S. destinations may notice additional security measures in place. These measures are designed to be unpredictable, so passengers should not expect to see the same thing everywhere. Due to the busy holiday travel season, both domestic and international travelers should allot extra time for check-in."

http://www.tsa.gov/press/happenings/...statement.shtm

In other words, "We can't possibly get everyone in TSA on the same page, so be prepared for completely inconsistent and nonsensical behavior on their part and when you ask why the process is different, we'll tell you that we're trying to keep the terrorists off balance."
Old Dec 26, 2009, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by magellan315
So how many terrorists have BDO's caught? The money spent on BDO's would be better allocated to making sure the TSA doesn't have such a high failure rate in Red Team tests. Or equipment that is researched carefully before we buy more white elephants like puffers. How about 100% of all checked luggage and cargo being screened.

If you want to "win" in these forums then the TSA needs to concentrate on their job. Stopping guns, knives, and explosives from getting on planes and forget the James Bond fantasies.
Point, game, match. Nuf said.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 12:30 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
CNN hasn't as yet posted the clip of its "exclusive" interview with pax Jasper Schuringa, but they're airing it ~15 minutes or so. If you're near an idiot box right now, checkitout.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by cockpitvisit
First of all, stop rewarding terrorists by harassing millions of passengers after every terrorism attempt.
TSA was not a reaction to a terrorist act, but to the demands of the citizens of this nation and as a response to the constitutional requirement that government protect its citizens.

The 9/11 will never happen again because of the changed passenger reactions to hijacking. And as the shoe bomb and this new incident show, the passengers are quite efficient at that. How many bombs has the TSA caught at the checkpoint over these years?
It was not a shoe bomb, but a device attached to the terrorists leg.

Let's assume every passenger will have to arrive at the airport one hour earlier because of the new "security" measures.
TSA already recommends 2 hours.

If we assume a life expectancy of 80 years, it will be 701280 hours. So one million passengers delayed by one hour is equivalent to at least one passenger being killed. You have to balance the lives saved by security measures against lives wasted in the airport queues.
Please, tell that to the family and friends of those lost in the 9/11 attacks. Then please return to us and tell us of your experience. I would be particularly interested in how many times you get slapped or thrown out of a home. Pictures would be nice too. 1 life is to many.

Also focus on people, not objects. Saudi Arabia sponsors lots of Muslim schools all over the world which are rumored to produce terrorists. Why isn't the US sponsoring a network of similar schools promoting more peaceful versions of Islam? This would cost a lot less than the stupid war in Iraq cost. Fight the enemy with its own means.
Tin foil hat time.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by essxjay
CNN hasn't as yet posted the clip of its "exclusive" interview with pax Jasper Schuringa, but they're airing it ~15 minutes or so. If you're near an idiot box right now, checkitout.
I just saw a snippet of it. I think he is still excited about what happened but he is trying to play it down.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by TSORon
TSA was not a reaction to a terrorist act, but to the demands of the citizens of this nation and as a response to the constitutional requirement that government protect its citizens.
Keep telling yourself that.

Please, tell that to the family and friends of those lost in the 9/11 attacks.
Hey, guys, I just got the TSA bingo! Can someone come check my card please? Oh and if you could throw in a "In a post-9/11 world" I get bonus points.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 12:40 pm

Programs: GSA City-Pair; emeritus AS MVPG/UA 1K/US Plat, etc.
Please, tell that to the family and friends of those lost in the 9/11 attacks.
I'm sorry, but this line doesn't work on people who actually know what they're talking about.

What thing that the TSA does would have prevented 9/11 from happening?

Right, nothing.

9/11 happened because the terrorists were smart enough to exploit a huge hole in our psychological understanding of hijackings. It was a brilliant attack.

For that very reason, 9/11 can never happen again. The pilots won't react the same way, flight attendants won't react the same way and passengers certainly won't react the same way.

TSA's tin-star "heroes" staring at naked people and making sure we don't carry on shampoo are not only unhelpful, their singular focus on stuff that already happened is actively detracting from airline security.

The next attack will be something completely unexpected and the TSA will be caught with its pants down again. That's how terrorism works.

Last edited by FCYTravis; Dec 26, 2009 at 12:47 pm
Old Dec 26, 2009, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

what causes these incidents is blowback from the US empire. If the US would pull out of its wars against the people of Aghanistan and Pakistan and Iraq and Iran, and would pull out of the Middle East altogether, then the innocent people in the US would not be targets anymore.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by richard
what causes these incidents is blowback from the US empire. If the US would pull out of its wars against the people of Aghanistan and Pakistan and Iraq and Iran, and would pull out of the Middle East altogether, then the innocent people in the US would not be targets anymore.
Sounds nice but it is a load of crap. The terrorists want tor rule the world in accordance to their reading of the Koran. To them it is a Holy war.

In any case let's not Omni this thread.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 12:53 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Hang on. Which part of the U.S. Constitution addresses this requirement? I'm flipping through my copy of it and can't find anything that could be interpreted as such. Please enlighten me.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by essxjay
Whoa. What part of the U.S. Constitution addresses this requirement? I'm flipping through my copy of it and can't find anything that could be interpreted as such.
Look up the term "Provide for the common defense"
Old Dec 26, 2009, 12:57 pm

Programs: GSA City-Pair; emeritus AS MVPG/UA 1K/US Plat, etc.
Originally Posted by Trollkiller
Sounds nice but it is a load of crap. The terrorists want tor rule the world in accordance to their reading of the Koran. To them it is a Holy war.
Then why did we give those same terrorists money and weapons in the 1980s?

Would America be the Great Satan if it hadn't propped up the despotic Shah of Iran for 30 years?

This is way more complex than "Arab terrorists bad, USA good."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.