Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Auto Rental CDW; questions & experiences [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 13, 2017, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Boraxo
Note: because of state laws, the CDW that Chase provides on several of its higher-end cards is only secondary coverage, not primary, for residents of Minnesota, New York, North Dakota, Rhode Island, and Texas. (report)

For MN Specifically: Statute 65b.49.5a requires that auto policies issued in the state must cover damage to rental cars with a $0 deductible as part of property liability coverage, even if the policy holder does not have comprehensive or collision coverage on their personal vehicle. This requires insurers to cover "loss of use" and damage with a minimum limit of $35,000 (even if the policy general property damage limit is lower) in 1995 dollars with a paragraph stating this number should be adjusted with CPI, so that's nearly $70k of minimum coverage as of 2023. Even if you are renting in a different state, your MN auto policy will still apply. Chase Benefit Administrators have interpreted this statute to mean that your personal auto insurance supersedes the coverage provided by Indemnity Insurance Company of North America.

Important Note: Uhaul cargo vans are specifically excluded from coverage so do not rely on Chase card for CDW if renting UHaul or similar.

Links to coverage documentation: CSR CSP INK Preferred

Submit claim at eclaimsline.com

Print Wikipost

Chase Auto Rental CDW; questions & experiences [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2020, 1:11 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat
I just called Chase Benefits with respect to their CDW benefit on this card. I will be renting a car in Australia for about 12 days soon. It is my understanding that with the rental agreement, the rental company provides their own rental car damage/loss of use coverage that goes with the contract. However there is a large excess (deductible) that I could be on the hook for if there is damage to the vehicle. Chase advised that their CDW coverage WOULD apply in Australia, but secondary to the rental car company coverage. In other words, Chase's coverage should fill in the Excess gap on a covered loss. Does this sound accurate? I'm not planning to buy extra rental car CDW coverage in Australia if so.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 9:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by Hawkeyefan
In other words, Chase's coverage should fill in the Excess gap on a covered loss. Does this sound accurate?
Yes.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 5:09 pm

Programs: Delta PM, AA PlatPro
Closing the loop on this:

Chase/Eclaimsline fully approved the $3XX claim I made for the damage to my rental car.

All in all, about as easy as could be.
Not the best website in the world - but, painless overall.

Impresssed.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Hawkeyefan
I just called Chase Benefits with respect to their CDW benefit on this card. I will be renting a car in Australia for about 12 days soon. It is my understanding that with the rental agreement, the rental company provides their own rental car damage/loss of use coverage that goes with the contract. However there is a large excess (deductible) that I could be on the hook for if there is damage to the vehicle. Chase advised that their CDW coverage WOULD apply in Australia, but secondary to the rental car company coverage. In other words, Chase's coverage should fill in the Excess gap on a covered loss. Does this sound accurate? I'm not planning to buy extra rental car CDW coverage in Australia if so.
As long as you do NOT buy the extra rental car "to buy down the excess", Chase coverage would take care of the full excess incurred should you have an accident caused by covered event.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 10:37 am

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Happy
As long as you do NOT buy the extra rental car "to buy down the excess", Chase coverage would take care of the full excess incurred should you have an accident caused by covered event.
Excellent, thank you!
Old Jun 10, 2020, 7:03 am

Chase Sapphire Rental Car Collision Protection

I rented a car from Budget from April 5, 2019 to April 7, 2019 at FLL. I was the only driver and the car was not involved in any accident or collision. At the time I returned the car at the airport, the Budget representative examined the car and did not observe any damage. More than a year later, towards the end of May 2020, I received a letter from Sedgwick (apparently on behalf of Budget) dated May 14, 2020 with a bill for $807.27 claiming that the car was damaged at the time of return.

I called Sedgwick and tried to explain there was no damage when I returned the car, but to no avail. They have subsequently sent me a detailed damage report including pictures. There is no visible damage on a picture of the full car taken from the front, but a close-up shows damage underneath the front bumper on the driver side. My best guess is that perhaps some other vehicle hit the car while it was parked. I had parked the car in multiple places in street parking and parking lots.

So I thought, OK, I had charged the rental to my Chase Sapphire Reserve card which is supposed to provide primary coverage, so I should have nothing to worry about. I filed a claim with eclaimsline.com which handles claims for this card. To my surprise, the claim was denied because, according to their rules, (a) I should have notified them within 60 days of the incident, (b) the claim form should have been submitted within 100 days of the incident, and (c) all claim documentation should have been provided within 365 days of the incident.

I am flabbergasted at the absurdity of all this. Has anyone else dealt with a similar situation, and if so, do you have any words of advice as to how I should deal with this? I had thought that paying a hefty annual fee for a premium card like the Chase Sapphire Reserve would buy me some peace of mind when renting a car, but apparently that is not the case.
Old Jun 10, 2020, 7:23 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by UPr123
....More than a year later, towards the end of May 2020, I received a letter...
I am flabbergasted at the absurdity of all this.
Agreed, but Chase's insurer is not the problem, it's Budget. Did they only send you a bill or have they submitted a charge to your credit card or ...?

Last edited by mia; Jun 10, 2020 at 8:15 am
Old Jun 10, 2020, 8:13 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
So I thought, OK, I had charged the rental to my Chase Sapphire Reserve card which is supposed to provide primary coverage, so I should have nothing to worry about. I filed a claim with eclaimsline.com which handles claims for this card. To my surprise, the claim was denied because, according to their rules, (a) I should have notified them within 60 days of the incident, (b) the claim form should have been submitted within 100 days of the incident, and (c) all claim documentation should have been provided within 365 days of the incident.
I had that during my last claim with them. Just respond that you tried your best to stop the claim from happening and list how many times you called them with dates etc. After I submitted that detailled time line, they processed the claim anyway and paid in full.
Old Jun 10, 2020, 8:24 am

There really needs to be legislation requiring damages to be billed in a timely manner with car rentals: like within 30 days.

Waiting 13 months to send someone a bill is unconscionable -- memories fade, documents are misplaced, and insurance deadlines pass.
seawolf likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2020, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by mia
Agreed, but Chase's insurer is not the problem, it's Budget. Did they only send you a bill or have they submitted a charge to your credit card or ...?
They sent me a bill; I have no idea if they tried to bill the credit card. They also sent me a form which I returned with the credit card information including my claim number with Chase. When I talked with Sedgwick, I protested the long 13+ month delay in sending me the bill, and they said that according to law they have a 3-year window in which to bill me. If that is correct, then, with Chase providing primary insurance, Chase should be required to accept any claims made within that 3-year window.
Old Jun 10, 2020, 9:27 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
.... Chase should be required...according to law .
Chase provides cardholders with a booklet which explains the coverage that they do provide, and it doesn't matter if the cardholder thinks it should be different. Primary refers to the claim paying precedence, not to the quality of the coverage. Your personal insurance may provide better coverage than Chase's coverage, and you may need to use it if you cannot persuade Chase's carrier to process the claim because you had no prior knowledge of the incident.

Does Budget have good evidence that this damage occurred during your rental? Have you asked Budget's agent to give you the cite for the specific state law that allows them three years to notify you of damage?

Last edited by mia; Jun 10, 2020 at 9:40 am
Old Jun 10, 2020, 10:08 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Are the photos even dated?
Old Jun 11, 2020, 8:09 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Try sending a registered letter that says you returned the car in good condition and it was signed off by an employee as such. It seems like if undercarriage damage is being reported a year later, many other people could have rented and damaged the car subsequently.
Old Jun 11, 2020, 8:43 am

This happened to me once. I made so much noise that they decided to drop the case. Purco was the company that had reached out to me for money. I found out the name of the owner of the rental agency and the garage that did the "repairs", sent registered letters to both asking for repair details, copies of invoices, threatening legal action, and I notified the state Attorney General. Eventually Purco gave up.
Old Jun 17, 2020, 9:42 am

Good news! As suggested by oliver2002, I filed an appeal to Chase against their decision to reject the claim. I just heard today that my appeal has been accepted and Chase will honor the claim. Thanks to everyone who pitched in with their opinions.
renila likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.