Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Auto Rental CDW; questions & experiences [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 13, 2017, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Boraxo
Note: because of state laws, the CDW that Chase provides on several of its higher-end cards is only secondary coverage, not primary, for residents of Minnesota, New York, North Dakota, Rhode Island, and Texas. (report)

For MN Specifically: Statute 65b.49.5a requires that auto policies issued in the state must cover damage to rental cars with a $0 deductible as part of property liability coverage, even if the policy holder does not have comprehensive or collision coverage on their personal vehicle. This requires insurers to cover "loss of use" and damage with a minimum limit of $35,000 (even if the policy general property damage limit is lower) in 1995 dollars with a paragraph stating this number should be adjusted with CPI, so that's nearly $70k of minimum coverage as of 2023. Even if you are renting in a different state, your MN auto policy will still apply. Chase Benefit Administrators have interpreted this statute to mean that your personal auto insurance supersedes the coverage provided by Indemnity Insurance Company of North America.

Important Note: Uhaul cargo vans are specifically excluded from coverage so do not rely on Chase card for CDW if renting UHaul or similar.

Links to coverage documentation: CSR CSP INK Preferred

Submit claim at eclaimsline.com

Print Wikipost

Chase Auto Rental CDW; questions & experiences [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2020, 5:24 pm

I've booked Avis' "Luxury Crossover" category for next weekend where the sample car is Volvo XC90. Just had a 30min conv with a Chase rep to understand what cars are excluded. They can't give you a full list so I went through every car on Avis' website with her and she told me which ones were excluded. Good news - everything is included except the GMC Yukon SLT (no idea why).

Covered
Cadillac Escalade
Lincoln Navigator
Infiniti QX80
Volvo XC90
Land Rover Range Rover Velar
Mercedes Benz GLE30
Lexus GX 460
Land Rover Discovery
Infiniti QX60
BMW X5
Ford Expedition
Mercedes Benz GLS

Not explicitly mentioned in the Chase list but rep thinks they're covered
GMC Yukon Denali - (Denali isn't explicitly mentioned in the Chase list but she thinks it is covered)
Nissan Armada Platinum - (Platinum isn't explicitly mentioned in the Chase list but she thinks it is covered)

Not covered
GMC Yukon SLT - *not* covered
mia and rhwbullhead like this.
Old Sep 26, 2020, 1:14 am

Programs: Northwest, United
CDW Insurance: Chase Sapphire versus Freedom Flex

I currently have the Chase Sapphire Preferred card. Have had it for years. I use the card's CDW insurance benefit frequently, whenever renting a car overseas (well, back when we could travel...I assume those days will return eventually...)

I see the new Freedom Flex card comes with (what appears to be ) a similar CDW car insurance benefit.

Does anyone know if the coverage is the same? That is, if I get rid of my Sapphire card and get the Freedom Flex card, would the coverage be the same (assuming I use the card when renting)?

Thanks!

Last edited by nwflyboy; Sep 26, 2020 at 2:12 am
Old Sep 26, 2020, 2:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by nwflyboy
Does anyone know if the coverage is the same? That is, if I get rid of my Sapphire card and get the Freedom Flex card, would the coverage be the same (assuming I use the card when renting
This is a question best answered by reading the T&Cs and the benefit guide, none of us can tell you anything else. Without reading those...I highly doubt that the insurance coverage provided by a no AF card if any, would rival the CSP/CSR.
Old Sep 26, 2020, 5:11 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
....I use the card's CDW insurance benefit frequently, whenever renting a car overseas ....!
The Freedom Flex Benefits Guide is here: https://www.chasebenefits.com/freedomflex

Within your country of residence, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver is secondary coverage which means it supplements, and applies in excess of, any valid and collectible insurance or reimbursement from any source.
If You are renting outside of Your country of residence, the coverage provided under this benefit is primary ....
...but note that the Freedom Flex adds a 3% foreign transaction fee, which Sapphire Preferred does not,
rhwbullhead likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2020, 1:00 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
Very good points, Mia, thank you.

My rentals have almost all been overseas (at least until this past spring...), so 1) the coverage provided by Freedom Flex would be Primary when I need it, which is nice, but 2) having the 3% FTF kind of sours that.

The Freedom Flex card looks very attractive for other reasons, the FTF won't necessarily put me off wanting it. But I may need to either keep a Sapphire card or look elsewhere for the auto insurance benefit. Thanks for pointing that out.
Old Sep 26, 2020, 1:32 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
It's an arithmetic problem. You could spend about $3,000/year out of the country and pay less in FTF than Sapphire Preferred's Annual Fee. Much depends on what types of foreign spend you would put on the Flex.
Old Sep 26, 2020, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Very good points, Mia, thank you.

My rentals have almost all been overseas (at least until this past spring...), so 1) the coverage provided by Freedom Flex would be Primary when I need it, which is nice, but 2) having the 3% FTF kind of sours that.

The Freedom Flex card looks very attractive for other reasons, the FTF won't necessarily put me off wanting it. But I may need to either keep a Sapphire card or look elsewhere for the auto insurance benefit. Thanks for pointing that out.
Almost all secondary rental car benefits offered by US credit cards would become primary when the rental is made outside US - simply because then there would be NO primary insurance out of the country, i.e. your own auto insurance does not cover international rental, therefore the originally secondary insurance becomes the primary.

Still, when filing claims, the no AF cards might get a less attentive treatment than the AF cards. Just guessing.
Old Oct 8, 2020, 4:47 pm

Successful claim. CSR.

Scraped car against a pole in a parking lot. Rental was paid with Hertz reward points and only the taxes went on my card (about $2). The claim was fully paid in about 10 days after all the documents were uploaded (it took a bit of time to gather everything).
Old Dec 23, 2020, 6:45 pm

Programs: No airline/hotel status use, Chase UR, Amex MR, CapOne etc
Used the CSR auto insurance claim twice in last few years. They asked for quite a bit of documents but it wasn't too hard to put together, good experience overall.
Old Dec 25, 2020, 5:02 pm

I have a bit of a pickle. Someone hit my rental car, I am using a chase sapphire reserve card.
I'm not sure where it was hit though.
Should I file a police report? I'm not even sure, I was driving around and hit several spots in the past several days, and it was on the passengers side. I don't exactly give it a thorough look through, and sometimes I come back at night.
Part of me is thinking I should just pay for it to get repaired on my own, would be WAY cheaper than if I let the rental company do it. I'll just eat the costs.
If I file with the credit card, will it go on my personal insurance as an insurance claim? I'd rather not make any insurance claims.

Most of the claims I see on this site are for small dollar amounts, I'm thinking this will be several thousand dollars at the least. $5k+. It's nothing structural though, and the damage doesn't appear to be super serious (nothing mechanical), and the car drives perfectly fine.

If I want to file with chase, should I have a police report filed right away? I know I should probably also report this to the rental car company as well, but they are closed right now (christmas day).
Old Dec 25, 2020, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by orangeflyer
Should I file a police report?
Yes.

Originally Posted by orangeflyer
If I file with the credit card, will it go on my personal insurance as an insurance claim? I'd rather not make any insurance claims.

Most of the claims I see on this site are for small dollar amounts, I'm thinking this will be several thousand dollars at the least. $5k+. It's nothing structural though, and the damage doesn't appear to be super serious (nothing mechanical), and the car drives perfectly fine.
CSR provides primary coverage. In theory, if the amount is low, it won't affect you.

However, if the claim amount can be that high, you are required to report this with your state's motor vehicle department. And Chase's benefit administrator may file the claim with an independent database, like LexisNexis CLUE Report. Bottom line - your insurance company will eventually know this.

Honestly - I don't believe you want to pay $5K on this. So pretty much you have no choice.
Old Dec 28, 2020, 11:08 am

I wonder what would happen if you just said you backed into a bollard rather than claiming someone else hit you. No police report needed in that case. Not sure if there would be any negative repercussions.
Old Apr 11, 2021, 12:03 pm

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
I am planning to rent the following vehicle from Hertz in Puerto Rico, and pay for it with my CSR:

Intermediate Open Air All Terrain Group V IJAR (V) Jeep Wrangler or similar

Before I call to confirm, would anyone know if this is included/excluded from coverage?

Thank you.
Old Apr 15, 2021, 4:05 pm

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
Originally Posted by work2fly
I am planning to rent the following vehicle from Hertz in Puerto Rico, and pay for it with my CSR:

Intermediate Open Air All Terrain Group V IJAR (V) Jeep Wrangler or similar

Before I call to confirm, would anyone know if this is included/excluded from coverage?

Thank you.
Answering my own question, I called and confirmed that the Jeep Wrangler is eligible for the CSR CDW.
SPN Lifer and mia like this.
Old May 18, 2021, 5:04 am

Sapphire CDW terms

If we use my wife's CSR on a rental in my name, will the card's insurance cover the rental? She is automatically an authorized driver under state law (California).

The web site terms include "Who’s Covered - Cardholder (name is embossed on the card and listed as the primary renter) - Additional drivers permitted by the rental agreement (authorized persons)". Travel Benefits (chase.com)

If it's safer, I'll use my CSP, figuring the insurance is more valuable than some extra points.

EDIT: From full T&Cs: "You are covered when Your name is embossed on an eligible card issued in the United States, and You use Your credit card Account and/or rewards programs associated with Your Account to initiate and complete Your entire car rental transaction. Only You, as the primary renter of the vehicle, and any additional drivers permitted by the Rental Car Agreement are covered."
BGC10893_Sapphire_Reserve.pdf (f9client.com)

Last edited by richarddd; May 18, 2021 at 5:39 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.