Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Auto Rental CDW; questions & experiences [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 13, 2017, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Boraxo
Note: because of state laws, the CDW that Chase provides on several of its higher-end cards is only secondary coverage, not primary, for residents of Minnesota, New York, North Dakota, Rhode Island, and Texas. (report)

For MN Specifically: Statute 65b.49.5a requires that auto policies issued in the state must cover damage to rental cars with a $0 deductible as part of property liability coverage, even if the policy holder does not have comprehensive or collision coverage on their personal vehicle. This requires insurers to cover "loss of use" and damage with a minimum limit of $35,000 (even if the policy general property damage limit is lower) in 1995 dollars with a paragraph stating this number should be adjusted with CPI, so that's nearly $70k of minimum coverage as of 2023. Even if you are renting in a different state, your MN auto policy will still apply. Chase Benefit Administrators have interpreted this statute to mean that your personal auto insurance supersedes the coverage provided by Indemnity Insurance Company of North America.

Important Note: Uhaul cargo vans are specifically excluded from coverage so do not rely on Chase card for CDW if renting UHaul or similar.

Links to coverage documentation: CSR CSP INK Preferred

Submit claim at eclaimsline.com

Print Wikipost

Chase Auto Rental CDW; questions & experiences [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2022, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Gunsmoke529
The other card was used for credit card hold associated with picking up the car.
To make a claim with any insurer for LDW coverage offered by a credit card, you will have to submit -- among other things -- a copy of the rental contract issued when you picked up the vehicle, and a copy of the receipt issued when you returned the vehicle. If your other credit card number appears on the contract, I would not expect any coverage from your CSP card.
Gunsmoke529 likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2022, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
And a belated welcome to FlyerTalk, Gunsmoke529!

If you opt to pursue a claim through CSP, I suppose you could argue that you "initiated" the rental when you prepaid for it, rather than when you collected the vehicle. And if you have a good reason why you did not put the "hold" on the CSP card (maybe that card was nearing its credit limit?), then maybe CSP's insurer will be lenient. But frankly, I'm not sanguine about your chances of success in this scenario.
Old Jan 9, 2022, 10:11 am

It seems to me that the last 4 digits printed on the payment will be what matters, and the hold is irrelevant.
Old Jan 10, 2022, 11:36 am

I have the Chase Sapphire Reserve, and I'm planning to book a rental car in Costa Rica using National Car Rentals. Does anyone know if I should decline the CDW and Theft Protection & Third Party Liability coverage that National offers? It's unclear to me if that coverage is mandatory or if declining it would save me money and allow Chase to cover anything potential damages. Thank you!
Old Jan 10, 2022, 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by flyguy12345
I have the Chase Sapphire Reserve, and I'm planning to book a rental car in Costa Rica using National Car Rentals. Does anyone know if I should decline the CDW and Theft Protection & Third Party Liability coverage that National offers? It's unclear to me if that coverage is mandatory or if declining it would save me money and allow Chase to cover anything potential damages. Thank you!
FYI to others in case it's helpful -- I called the Chase Rental Car Coverage line (1-888-675-1461) and they told me that I should decline or only accept the minimum CDW coverage from the rental car agency. Chase does not offer Third Party Liability, so they suggested that I accept that coverage from the rental car agency. They said the rental car agency may require proof of liability coverage though the credit card, so they emailed me a copy of my liability coverage.
Old Jan 11, 2022, 12:10 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
3rd party liability is often automatically included and the rental companies often try to trick you into buying extra coverage that you really don't need. Read up on the legal background in Costa Rica before you sign up for such extras. It seems a minimum coverage by the public insurer is mandated, which should cover third party liability in accidents.
Old Jan 11, 2022, 9:05 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by oliver2002
[...] try to trick you into buying [...]
While I don't doubt that happens, I believe it could also be ignorance on the part of the agent. I had a car rental agent in UK tell me that I needed to CDW to get the included liability insurance, in direct contradiction to the web site description and the rental agreement. It took about 45 minutes extra for phone calls to confirm that liability insurance was included in the rental even if the renter declined CDW, and the agent thanked me for the education. (I was real reluctant to rent the car with the agent promising me that I would not have liability insurance, even though I was sure it was included.)
Old Feb 15, 2022, 5:24 pm
RNE

I have a CSP. Is there any way to get a letter of coverage without calling a telephone number? I've tried calling and going through the phone tree but cannot get a human to answer.
Old Mar 4, 2022, 8:12 pm

Anyone know of a way to determine the countries where the CDW benefit does not apply?

Benefits guide for United Explorer states unhelpfully that coverage applies in “most foreign countries.” When I called the Benefits Admin line, I had to wade through endless prompts—many of them telling me how few phone CSRs there are & how they’re focusing on the most urgent matters—and when I finally selected the option to speak to an agent about the CDW benefit, the call was disconnected.

I strongly suspect that Sicily is one of the excluded locales, but it would be useful to have access to a definitive list of inclusions/exclusions.
Old Mar 5, 2022, 1:29 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Italy is not excluded.
beltway and Happy like this.
Old Mar 7, 2022, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by beltway
Anyone know of a way to determine the countries where the CDW benefit does not apply?

Benefits guide for United Explorer states unhelpfully that coverage applies in “most foreign countries.” When I called the Benefits Admin line, I had to wade through endless prompts—many of them telling me how few phone CSRs there are & how they’re focusing on the most urgent matters—and when I finally selected the option to speak to an agent about the CDW benefit, the call was disconnected.

I strongly suspect that Sicily is one of the excluded locales, but it would be useful to have access to a definitive list of inclusions/exclusions.
Sicily is fully covered. In fact I have posted a very detailed claim process with CSR for our rental car damages sustained on the first day at Sicily that happened in 2018. You should be able to find it in this thread. It took a grand total of 7 days from filing the claim online to the approval email with options for various reimbursement mechanism. I must say the Budget's billing system has done an EXCELLENT job with all the necessary information very clearly laid out, together with 3 pictures the receiver took, to support the repair estimate billed. We got a Visa card not present alert as well as an email of the bill. while we were at the Budget parking lot at Catania airport.

Our feeling is, choosing a US company for the rental probably contributes to the success of the claim because the billing system is very professionally designed. No additional doc ever asked from us, the Budget bill we got from email was the primary doc we uploaded, together with the RA at rental and the RA after rental was closed. We did add a few extra photos on top of the 3 Budget attached to the bill.

Our Budget rental had mandatory CDW with an excess of $1000 euro excluded airport surcharges and VAT. The total bill was around 1,400 euro when everything included Chase paid over 1,200+ Euro, incl some airport surcharges that would have not been covered but due to Budget's very itemized bill separating the the whole thing into 2 parts, the adjuster just did not bother to scrutinize every line but approved the lump sum of the Estimated Repair part.

In the countries where there are government imposed Mandatory CDW coverage, such as South Africa, Chase covers the excess (deductible). They know the government mandated CDW cannot be declined.

AFAIK, Visa excludes very few countries, Israel being one of the few IIRC. Ireland, Australia and New Zealand might also be on the list. But the individual issuers can do their own thing.

A Google search shows Chase apparently has ELIMINATED exclusion according to this article.

https://www.nerdwallet.com/article/i...e-abroad-risks
  • The Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card and the Chase Sapphire Reserve® both offer primary rental insurance and don't exclude any countries, but the Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card does exclude most luxury cars, including certain models of BMW, Mercedes-Benz, Cadillac and Lincoln. The Chase Sapphire Reserve® has some exclusions as well, like antique cars.

Last edited by Happy; Mar 7, 2022 at 10:41 am
Old Mar 7, 2022, 11:56 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by oliver2002
3rd party liability is often automatically included and the rental companies often try to trick you into buying extra coverage that you really don't need. Read up on the legal background in Costa Rica before you sign up for such extras. It seems a minimum coverage by the public insurer is mandated, which should cover third party liability in accidents.
I know Im quoting a post from Jan

But CR and Israel are 2 places that I have experience with and 3rd party Lia is Mandatory even if a CC would cover it. If you dont pay for it then you wont be given a car,period. Now you dont have to take their premium 3rd party Lia, but the basic pkg you MUST take
Old Mar 19, 2022, 3:26 pm

Programs: Sixt Platinum, Avis Preferred Plus, Hertz President's Circle, Hilton Diamond
Used Chase Sapphire to rent a car in MX. There was a tiny scrape in the rear bumper and the right rear door. Since it was one of the many bumps, they charged me $400, not $2,000 which is probably the likely amount to get it fixed.

eClaims is requiring that I show repair bill, they only charged me a fee. She explained that it's a small damage so they have like five damages then fix it. I think that's fair, but it seems eClaims is insisting that it be repaired and there be a total bill for the repair.
Old Mar 31, 2022, 10:35 am

Corporate code but personal/leisure

I am planning to rent a car from National at JFK using my company's corporate code for leisure/personal use and charge it to my Chase Sapphire Preferred.

Does anyone know if the CSP's CDW will still cover my rental even if I use a corp code for personal/leisure? Or do I need to purchase National's CDW?
Old Mar 31, 2022, 10:38 am

Originally Posted by wanderinglily
I am planning to rent a car from National at JFK using my company's corporate code for leisure/personal use and charge it to my Chase Sapphire Preferred.

Does anyone know if the CSP's CDW will still cover my rental even if I use a corp code for personal/leisure? Or do I need to purchase National's CDW?
Most corporate codes have rental CDW included. If you get into an accident, the National CDW will kick in. You'll need to confirm with your company regarding using the corporate rate for non-business related rentals. Sometimes, companies will have two separate codes, one for business related travel w/ CDW and another for personal use (w/o CDW).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.