FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Chase Auto Rental CDW; questions & experiences [Consolidated]
Old Jan 31, 2017, 4:19 pm
guv1976
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Chase "primary" auto rental CDW might be secondary if you live in: MN, NY, ND, RI, TX

Just got off the phone with a Chase benefits administrator. It seems that, because of state laws, the "primary" CDW that Chase provides on several of its higher-end cards is only secondary coverage for residents of Minnesota, New York, North Dakota, Rhode Island, and Texas because of state laws. Confirmed by two benefits-administrator line agents and a supervisor.

I was shocked, since these excluded states are not enumerated in the benefits brochures that Chase sends to cardholders. When I called Chase Card Services to complain about the lack of notice as to the excluded states, a supervisor pointed out the language in the brochures that says, "Coverage is not available where it is prohibited by law . . .."

Has any FTer encountered this before?

Edited to add: After I filed a complaint about this situation with the CFPB, I received a call from a Chase benefits administrator supervisor who told me that I had been given incorrect information (!), and that the primary CDW offered on certain Chase cards is, indeed, primary for New York State residents. Chase's written response to my CFPB complaint said the same thing.

Because my claim is still pending (still have not received a demand letter from the car-rental company more than three months after the rental ended), I cannot unequivocally state that I will receive primary coverage on this rental, but it certainly appears that the sky is not falling.

Edited by Mod to strike out NY. OP was given incorrect info and NY is covered.

Last edited by mia; Dec 17, 2022 at 8:12 am Reason: Fix "strike" syntax.