Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Auto Rental CDW; questions & experiences [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 13, 2017, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Boraxo
Note: because of state laws, the CDW that Chase provides on several of its higher-end cards is only secondary coverage, not primary, for residents of Minnesota, New York, North Dakota, Rhode Island, and Texas. (report)

For MN Specifically: Statute 65b.49.5a requires that auto policies issued in the state must cover damage to rental cars with a $0 deductible as part of property liability coverage, even if the policy holder does not have comprehensive or collision coverage on their personal vehicle. This requires insurers to cover "loss of use" and damage with a minimum limit of $35,000 (even if the policy general property damage limit is lower) in 1995 dollars with a paragraph stating this number should be adjusted with CPI, so that's nearly $70k of minimum coverage as of 2023. Even if you are renting in a different state, your MN auto policy will still apply. Chase Benefit Administrators have interpreted this statute to mean that your personal auto insurance supersedes the coverage provided by Indemnity Insurance Company of North America.

Important Note: Uhaul cargo vans are specifically excluded from coverage so do not rely on Chase card for CDW if renting UHaul or similar.

Links to coverage documentation: CSR CSP INK Preferred

Submit claim at eclaimsline.com

Print Wikipost

Chase Auto Rental CDW; questions & experiences [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2020, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by guv1976
Did srodr say that he was renting from an Enterprise location in California?
No such assumption has been made. In fact, I am merely using CA as an example why people equate insurance with proof of financial responsibility.

Beside - many requirements are actually universal among states, like NY or TX. Even both states do not specifically mention all options and just claim it as insurance, they do accept all 4 methods in satisfying financial responsibility.

Originally Posted by tmiw
I feel like the latter three options don't come up that often, hence why a lot of people equate insurance with proof of financial responsibility.
Surety bond and cash deposit - yes. But not for self-insurance.

In fact, car rental companies have their rental cars self-insured, so that they need not to pay premiums, effectively saving millions.

Next time, check the paperwork inside the car, you should be able to see a self-insurance certificate inside the car.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 10:33 pm

does chase insurance cover turo?
Old Jan 30, 2020, 10:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by yerffej201
does chase insurance cover turo?
My understanding of Turo is that they're not considered a rental car company, hence no CDW from any issuer (that I know of) will apply. It would be nice if it did, though.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 3:57 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
The eclaim form now has a 'car sharing' claim option, so things are (slowly) moving that way...

You are mixing up the preconditions for registering a vehicle (ie get a plate) and the insurance add ons. The 25 or 35k is pretty much required by all states otherwise the owner of the car cannot register it. And all rental cars have this insurance in place, covering the basics and if you hit someone/something with the rental the damage to the other party is ALWAYS covered. The limits of the liability insurance are debatable though. What is not/never covered is damage to the rental. That you cover using the add on you pruchase with the rental or the insurance you have with Chase.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 7:36 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002
You are mixing up the preconditions for registering a vehicle (ie get a plate) and the insurance add ons. The 25 or 35k is pretty much required by all states otherwise the owner of the car cannot register it. And all rental cars have this insurance in place, covering the basics and if you hit someone/something with the rental the damage to the other party is ALWAYS covered. The limits of the liability insurance are debatable though. What is not/never covered is damage to the rental. That you cover using the add on you pruchase with the rental or the insurance you have with Chase.
I believe that the state minimum third party liability that comes with any rental car only applies if the driver doesn't have his own insurance. And the limitations of liability are very low. In NY, for example, it's only $10k for third party property damage, and it's not uncommon for damage in a moderate crash to exceed $10k. You would be left holding the bag for any excess.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by srodr
Yesterday I rented a car at a neighborhood Enterprise location and used my Sapphire card. When I refused their insurance and said that my card provides primary insurance, the lady asked if I also have normal car insurance because they 'don't accept credit card insurance'. Can they actually do that?
I think what she was trying to say is "ok the credit card will cover damage to the rental vehicle, but what about third party liability insurance?"

As mentioned in this thread CA, TX, NY, and many other states don't require the rental company to provide this (many other states do). Most personal car insurance policies cover liability while driving a rental. If you don't have personal car insurance you can also get a temporary or permanent non-owner policy for while you're driving rentals and borrowed cars.

So it's not that they "don't accept" that insurance but that she was asking about a different kind of insurance.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by threeoh
I think what she was trying to say is "ok the credit card will cover damage to the rental vehicle, but what about third party liability insurance?"

As mentioned in this thread CA, TX, NY, and many other states don't require the rental company to provide this (many other states do).
I believe that NY provides minimum third-party liability insurance to renters. In fact, if the renter has no other auto insurance, the car-rental company's minimal coverage is primary, meaning that the company cannot sue the renter for any claims it pays to third parties (up to the limits of the minimal coverage). Here's Hertz' policy about this:

https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/reser...RAGES&EOAG=LAX
Old Jan 31, 2020, 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976
I believe that NY provides minimum third-party liability insurance to renters. In fact, if the renter has no other auto insurance, the car-rental company's minimal coverage is primary, meaning that the company cannot sue the renter for any claims it pays to third parties (up to the limits of the minimal coverage). Here's Hertz' policy about this:

https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/reser...RAGES&EOAG=LAX
Whoops, you are right NY is not one of those states. CA is and I think TX is too though I'm not sure now where I found the list (though looks like Hertz offers it anyway).

Point is: in some states you must carry your own liability insurance, Chase credit card does not offer this, and the rental company is within its rights to ask.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by oliver2002
The eclaim form now has a 'car sharing' claim option, so things are (slowly) moving that way...
But the policy has not changed...And Turo also claims it is not a rental company...
Old Feb 6, 2020, 2:50 pm

Programs: Delta PM, AA PlatPro
In Mexico, had first damage to rental car ever. Drive from SJD airport out towards Cabo Pulmo (ie, far far away from Cabo San Lucas!)
Put a tennis ball sized dent in the bumper from hitting a rock or something.
Pretty embarrassing.

Spent an hour reading this thread, and just dropped car off at Alamo.
Drove up, told them I damaged the car.
Went inside, did some paperwork, signed some things, and they charged me on the spot for the repairs (ridiculously cheap).
I figured I did $1500USD in damage. It worked out to them charging me $350 or so - which seemed wild.

Anyway, paid then and there. Got all the documents and just filed claim on eclaimsline while in the PP lounge here in SJD.
Since the amount was so little, I’m not going to stress about it. But, I did everything Chase requests (denied CDW at rental, etc).

I was worried since here they require liability, so I did the minimum of that needed to complete rental.
But, seems that’s normal here and shouldn’t be a problem.

Agree with others, the eclaimsline site is... antiquated.
It’s not impossible, but, it’s certainly not consumer friendly.

I get back to USA tonight, but have to fly out of country tomorrow morning... so I won’t be able to check for a while.
But, I’ll update this thread when the claim is accepted/denied.

I think it’s pretty straightforward. Hoping CSR comes through for the win!
Old Feb 6, 2020, 4:08 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by WestCoastPDX
....I did everything Chase requests (denied CDW at rental, etc).

I was worried since here they require liability, so I did the minimum of that needed to complete rental.
CDW and Liability are completely separate coverages, for different risks. Chase does not provide any Liability coverage, and buying it from the car rental company has no bearing on CDW eligibility.
Old Feb 8, 2020, 9:16 am

Programs: Delta PM, AA PlatPro
Originally Posted by mia
CDW and Liability are completely separate coverages, for different risks. Chase does not provide any Liability coverage, and buying it from the car rental company has no bearing on CDW eligibility.
Sorry, what I meant was ‘Mexico / Mexican car company was requiring a minimum level of insurance’ - which I had to buy.
At the time, I just said ‘sure, if it’s required, I’ll take it.’

I wasn’t careful to make sure I wasn’t signing up for CDW without wanting it. So, I was relieved to see that it was just some basic liability.
Anyway, I’m waiting to see what the eclaimsline folks say, but, everything is uploaded and I’m just waiting.
Old Feb 11, 2020, 9:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
If you use a corporate CDP to get a discounted rate will the chase insurance still apply?
Old Feb 11, 2020, 10:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pregabalin
If you use a corporate CDP to get a discounted rate will the chase insurance still apply?
No if your rate includes CDW.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 6:27 pm

Programs: Some of them not all ...
Originally Posted by WestCoastPDX
In Mexico, had first damage to rental car ever. Drive from SJD airport out towards Cabo Pulmo (ie, far far away from Cabo San Lucas!)
Put a tennis ball sized dent in the bumper from hitting a rock or something.
Went inside, did some paperwork, signed some things, and they charged me on the spot for the repairs (ridiculously cheap).
I figured I did $1500USD in damage. It worked out to them charging me $350 or so - which seemed wild.
Now you know the difference in pricing, similar to Medical Tourism in the US vs Mexico ... Of course they will make the repair at a private shop vs. doing it in the USA at a nice shop/dealer. $350 is actually a little high for a dent in Mexico, as the "Ojalatero" can repair those cars for less than $200 in a weekend including painting. I don't rent cars in Mexico or third world countries like those in Central and South america (bad experiences with police/military), as I rather use buses (ADO in Cancun) and Uber. For Cabo, hotel transportation is my way to go and stay in a beautiful resort. And that is even taking into account I lived in Mexico and hold a Mexican Drivers license that never expires (courtesy of the actual president when he was Mayor of the Capital). The level of corruption and tricks played by many Rental Car Companies is just not worth it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.