Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Auto Rental CDW; questions & experiences [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 13, 2017, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Boraxo
Note: because of state laws, the CDW that Chase provides on several of its higher-end cards is only secondary coverage, not primary, for residents of Minnesota, New York, North Dakota, Rhode Island, and Texas. (report)

For MN Specifically: Statute 65b.49.5a requires that auto policies issued in the state must cover damage to rental cars with a $0 deductible as part of property liability coverage, even if the policy holder does not have comprehensive or collision coverage on their personal vehicle. This requires insurers to cover "loss of use" and damage with a minimum limit of $35,000 (even if the policy general property damage limit is lower) in 1995 dollars with a paragraph stating this number should be adjusted with CPI, so that's nearly $70k of minimum coverage as of 2023. Even if you are renting in a different state, your MN auto policy will still apply. Chase Benefit Administrators have interpreted this statute to mean that your personal auto insurance supersedes the coverage provided by Indemnity Insurance Company of North America.

Important Note: Uhaul cargo vans are specifically excluded from coverage so do not rely on Chase card for CDW if renting UHaul or similar.

Links to coverage documentation: CSR CSP INK Preferred

Submit claim at eclaimsline.com

Print Wikipost

Chase Auto Rental CDW; questions & experiences [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2019, 1:51 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
As this is a Chase insurance coverage query, will moved to the Chase forum

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old Aug 29, 2019, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
While it's not legally binding, I would be inclined to trust the agent since it seems inline with the obvious intent of the policy (to insure standard rentals and not specialty ones). I can't see a specific list either.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 2:09 pm
Suspended

Yah ...

It's a $40K car. It's kind of odd they have all these important rules and you can't see them. He wouldn't even copy and paste it for me.

But I did find out something interesting.If you rent in Australia/NZ you *have* to take out the minimum CDW they require and the Chase card covers the deductible. Anyone heard of this before (once again not on the web but he can see it)!

Originally Posted by findark
While it's not legally binding, I would be inclined to trust the agent since it seems inline with the obvious intent of the policy (to insure standard rentals and not specialty ones). I can't see a specific list either.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 2:41 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by usedtobeimportant
....Renting a car in Germany with Hertz and of course they will give me a Mercedes!

The United MP Credit card has primary CDW but has exclusions for luxury cars. .
If you are not comfortable with Chase's wording, use another card. There is no incremental benefit to "primary" CDW when renting outside North America, unless your personal insurance covers rentals in Germany, which would be unusual. A card with "secondary" coverage can be used if the language is clearer.

Last edited by mia; Aug 29, 2019 at 2:47 pm
Old Aug 30, 2019, 1:34 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
It's a $40K car. It's kind of odd they have all these important rules and you can't see them. He wouldn't even copy and paste it for me.

But I did find out something interesting.If you rent in Australia/NZ you *have* to take out the minimum CDW they require and the Chase card covers the deductible. Anyone heard of this before (once again not on the web but he can see it)!
The insurance that Chase provides covers damages upto 75000$. Car rental companies in Germany have to inform you what the value of your car is.

Re minimum CDW (question above): in Europe there is no such rule. You can rent a car without CDW. If you take a renatl with a CDW that has a deductible, Chase will cover the deductible.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Chase coverage is worldwide. However how the coverage works, largely depends on which country your rental occurs because there are local laws to deal with.

Australia and NZ are among the countries in the world that the basic CDW coverage is mandatory by the laws. Italy and South Africa, for example, fall into this category. In those countries, there would be an "Excess" (the same concept as our "deductble") that you need to pay should the damage repair cost is over the coverage from the basic CDW which is INCLUDED in the rental rate - and it would show on your rental car reservation with the box of CDW already checked, grayed out, no other option.

Chase (and Citi as well), will pay the Excess on rentals in those countries - ONLY when you do not "buy down" the excess with supplemental coverage the rental car company would try very hard to get you buy such. If you buy that, you VOID the credit card coverage, and will still be left to pay the remaining balance on however the "excess" is reduced to.

You dont need to see it on the web - the rep's explanation is good enough - because we had claim in Italy (you can search my post in this form in June 2018) and the process was extremely smooth, provided you know what you are doing on how to submit claim together with the necessary docs.

We turned down the additional CDW coverage when we took the car at Budget Catania. The rep said, "you know your CC would be charged immediately up to the Excess, plus VAT and airport surcharge. Would your CC pay you back that amount?" We told him affirmatively. He did not push the coverage any more. Chase coverage excludes airport surcharge on repairs but covers the VAT. The calculation on Budget's repair costs was so convoluted that some of the airport surcharge was included - eClaim adjuster did not question anything, and paid the full amount Budget invoiced (on the spot at car return). Took just 7 business days from filing the claim online to money ACHed to the bank account.

Go back to June or July 2018 to read the very detailed post where I documented our experiences - should help anyone knows what docs needed to speed up the claim process and how the whole process works.

You may also want to read this write up on how a hail damage in Australia was handled by Chase.

https://frequentmiler.boardingarea.c...car-insurance/

AMEX simply chooses NOT to cover these countries, with the exception of South Africa IIRC. Australia, New Zealand and Italy are on the Excluded Countries List on the CDW benefit but South Africa is not excluded even though it has government mandated basic CDW.
EqualOpp and alggag like this.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by oliver2002
The insurance that Chase provides covers damages upto 75000$. Car rental companies in Germany have to inform you what the value of your car is.

Re minimum CDW (question above): in Europe there is no such rule. You can rent a car without CDW. If you take a renatl with a CDW that has a deductible, Chase will cover the deductible.
This is a Gray Area - unless the basic CDW is not a separate item but built in the rate, and no where showing on your RA, so eClaim could not say you have bought CDW coverage. Otherwise, Chase does NOT cover any deductible IF the basic CDW is NOT mandatory by the government.

Personally I dont want to rent any car in Europe using some sites (incl rental car companies European sites) with built in CDW in the rate - because I dont feel comfortable about whether the excess would be covered, since there is no mandatory coverage in Europe.
Old Aug 31, 2019, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by Happy
there is no mandatory coverage in Europe.
There is in Italy.
Old Aug 31, 2019, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by threeoh
There is in Italy.
You are right. My bad. How could I forget about Italy having mandatory CDW when I mentioned this in several of my posts on the CDW subject, incl AMEX excludes Italy while Chase does not.
In fact the detailed, lengthy post of our very satisfactory Chase eClaime in May 2018 was for a rental at Sicily.

The excess is 1000 euro, but the estimated repair cost is 1298 euro, with taxes and airport surcharges included. Chase coverage does not cover airport surcharge on repair, yet eClaim paid the full amount of Budget's bill which was generated on the spot at car return and immediately put on the CSR used for the rental.
Budget even generated an email with the attachment of the Repair Cost AND pictures of the damages. So this makes it very easy to submit the doc to eClaim.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 12:40 am

Programs: WN, UA, DL, AA, Chase UR, Amex MR
Originally Posted by Happy
You may also want to read this write up on how a hail damage in Australia was handled by Chase.

https://frequentmiler.boardingarea.c...car-insurance/
Thanks for that link. I'm in the process of submitting a claim for my own weather related rental damage and like the person in the article I was having some concerns since it technically wasn't a collision. I'm still waiting for the relevant monthly statement to post so I'll add my own experience with the process once I get all the paperwork turned in.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 1:24 am

Japan

I'm renting in Japan and Korea where their CDW waiver (which I am declining) reads like this:

What is a CDW? (Collision Damage Waiver) *Not insurance

CDW waives your responsibility for paying deductibles regarding any property damage and/or vehicle damage in the event of an accident.
If more than one accident occurs during the rental period, the CDW will apply only to the first accident.

So it sounds like a basic CDW is included in the rate and there isn't a way to decline it outside of the excess that I am declining? The eclaims representative could not say whether that would qualify - she noted Japan and Korea were not countries where the CDW was "mandatory" by the government. I guess I can write I decline CDW on the rental agreement itself but not sure if I've already been disqualified at this point with the "included" rate insurance. I don't expect any issues but it's making me nervous. Reading through this thread though, it looks like Chase is generally reasonable about outside of the country? (would pay the deductible in case of collision?) as long as it is not a separate line item?
Old Sep 14, 2019, 2:48 pm

Programs: AA Life-Plat 5MM, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, UA, BA
Question CSP Car Rental CDW Insurance

Hello. Anybody had experience (after damage) with the Insurance Co of the Sapphire Preferred card? How was it?
Do they accept all required docs electronically or want hard-copy originals?
Anybody had damage to a car in Ireland? Any special problems?

Last edited by IntFF; Sep 14, 2019 at 2:59 pm
Old Sep 16, 2019, 8:06 am

Originally Posted by IntFF
Hello. Anybody had experience (after damage) with the Insurance Co of the Sapphire Preferred card? How was it?
I've made claims on my CSR (not CSP) card for car rental damage, trip cancellation, and emergency medical. I'm pretty sure all Chase cards use the same insurance provider. All documentation was accepted electronically for all three claims. I never had to send anything by snail mail. But if you have any questions or issues you will want to pick up the phone and call them, as they are NOT responsive to electronic correspondence.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by IntFF
My experience with them from May/June (CSR) is posted above. All docs were scanned and sent electronically. I had to do one additional doc submission. They take about one week to review each doc submission. Claim was approved in 2 weeks, paid one week after that. This was for a rental in the western US.
Old Sep 21, 2019, 8:08 pm

Programs: WN, UA, DL, AA, Chase UR, Amex MR
I’m starting to get a little irritated as they keep asking me to submit paperwork that has already been submitted. I’ll try again and then try calling them to see what the problem is.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.