Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Auto Rental CDW; questions & experiences [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 13, 2017, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Boraxo
Note: because of state laws, the CDW that Chase provides on several of its higher-end cards is only secondary coverage, not primary, for residents of Minnesota, New York, North Dakota, Rhode Island, and Texas. (report)

For MN Specifically: Statute 65b.49.5a requires that auto policies issued in the state must cover damage to rental cars with a $0 deductible as part of property liability coverage, even if the policy holder does not have comprehensive or collision coverage on their personal vehicle. This requires insurers to cover "loss of use" and damage with a minimum limit of $35,000 (even if the policy general property damage limit is lower) in 1995 dollars with a paragraph stating this number should be adjusted with CPI, so that's nearly $70k of minimum coverage as of 2023. Even if you are renting in a different state, your MN auto policy will still apply. Chase Benefit Administrators have interpreted this statute to mean that your personal auto insurance supersedes the coverage provided by Indemnity Insurance Company of North America.

Important Note: Uhaul cargo vans are specifically excluded from coverage so do not rely on Chase card for CDW if renting UHaul or similar.

Links to coverage documentation: CSR CSP INK Preferred

Submit claim at eclaimsline.com

Print Wikipost

Chase Auto Rental CDW; questions & experiences [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2018, 12:41 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by klanfa
Can't give any advice on claim filing with Chase and the path to get this sorted out, but I'd strongly advise you to sort it out properly with Hertz and not only via chargeback. Hertz is known to be easy on the trigger to put people on the DNR list for chargebacks, even in situations where the chargebacks are justified. Quite a lot of info on this is available over on the Hertz forum.
Hertz is also quick on the trigger to charge for damages that are clearly fraudulent. So if they are going to do that - they better expect a lot fo chargebacks. But I do appreciate the advice.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
I may have to file a claim here - should I wait to file until after I've spoken with Hertz Cyprus about their fraud? (they charged me for damages even though all damages were pre-existing and I have signed walk around the car damage reports and photos taken in lot to prove it). Or should I file and have both things going concurrently?

I already disputed the charge with Chase as well. Couldn't get Hertz Cyprus to pick up their phones for a day - so did that before I finally got a hold of their main office # in Nicosia (which of course is closed til Mon AM).
You have to file within 60 days of the incident (damage or theft), you have provide a signed claims form as well as all requested documents you have within 100 days of the incident, and you have to submit all requested documents within 365 days of the incident.

So, waiting a day or two until you get ahold of Hertz shouldn't be a problem. But, it's also possible to file a claim now and then back out of it later if Hertz refunds the charges. No cost, just a little of your time. I'd say if you can't sort it out with Hertz by 40 days after the start date of the rental, I'd probably start the Chase process just in case.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by serpens
Your question, pred02, piqued my interest since I expect to rent a car in England next month.

There were a couple of things that concerned me. First, the name of the document includes the word Interim. Second, this is the bottom paragraph on page 2 (with formatting removed).

It seemed likely that England would be one of "most foreign countries." Still, wanting reassurance, I called the Benefits Administrator, and aside from the five-minute waits (two of them), it was a pleasant call. The representative confirmed that England is not an excluded country, and encouraged me to ask the rental agency if it or the territory terms made coverage not applicable. Then the rep sent a letter to me saying the coverage would apply. (Some of the formatting got fouled up; apparently PDF formatting is not compatible with FlyerTalk.)

I would rather that the letter said England was included, since that was why I called, but it seemed like a good response from the Benefits Administrator.
There are SO MANY COUNTRIES in the world that the benefit applied, it is impractical to give you a laundry list of eligible countries.

The KEY is, England is NOT on an Excluded Countries List. Just check out the document AMEX has, that is the way the CC CDW benefits would described. In the past, Visa and MC had similar lists of Excluded Countries as AMEX had because some countries have government mandated basic CDW included in the rate, or the theft rate was very high, or in some conflict zone (Northern Irelnd and Israel come to mind). In recent years some high end Visa cards which CSR is one, and high end MCs, no longer excluding countries.

Your rental in England is covered as long as all other requirements are met.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 1:36 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Happy
There are SO MANY COUNTRIES in the world that the benefit applied, it is impractical to give you a laundry list of eligible countries.
The benefits administrator knows which countries are covered. Technologically, it is a trivial matter to update a web page (and note the date of the update) showing the current list of countries. For that matter, it would be a simple matter to show the history of the updates. And for another matter, it would be simple to show a list of all countries in the world where each country would be a link to that country's current status and history of changes. This type of information management is what computers do and this type of information dissemination is why the world wide web was developed.

That the benefits administrator chooses not to do this (and Chase chooses not to require the benefits administrator to do this) is a sad commentary on what passes for customer service.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by serpens
The benefits administrator knows which countries are covered. Technologically, it is a trivial matter to update a web page (and note the date of the update) showing the current list of countries. For that matter, it would be a simple matter to show the history of the updates. And for another matter, it would be simple to show a list of all countries in the world where each country would be a link to that country's current status and history of changes. This type of information management is what computers do and this type of information dissemination is why the world wide web was developed.

That the benefits administrator chooses not to do this (and Chase chooses not to require the benefits administrator to do this) is a sad commentary on what passes for customer service.
It is a matter of cost analysis. Sure it can be made the way you described, at an additional cost that may not be deemed needed.

After all, the excluded countries are in such a small number that is much easier to list the excluded countries versus create a data base for all the possible countries a customer may decide to rent a car there. I would much rather Chase spend the money in providing the actual benefits then spend the money to create such a hardly needed data base. It MATTERS where the money is spent. The convenience you think is important to you, may not pass the cost analysis for adding such feature. The sad thing is not Chase and the Benefit Administrators not think of such, the sad thing is, people dont realize things ain't free. Everything carries a cost. Some cost just is not justified when much cheaper alternatives are available.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 7:02 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Producing a comprehensive list of countries is difficult because some geographical areas are not universally recognized as countries. Much easier to just list exceptions.

The independent country is not only self-governed nation with own authorities, this status needs the international diplomatic recognition of sovereignty. Thereby, we can say, that the total number of independent states in the world are 197, including fully recognized 193 members of the United Nations, 2 countries, Vatican City and Palestine, have the status of permanent observers in the UN. Another 2 states we include are Kosovo (recognized by 111 UN members) and Taiwan (recognized by 22 countries).
https://www.countries-ofthe-world.co...countries.html
Old Sep 11, 2018, 8:39 am

Originally Posted by mia
Producing a comprehensive list of countries is difficult because some geographical areas are not universally recognized as countries. Much easier to just list exceptions.
I think the main complaint here is not that there is a list of exceptions, but that there isn't a list of exceptions; instead one has to call in and ask.
mia likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by threeoh
I think the main complaint here is not that there is a list of exceptions, but that there <strong>isn't</strong> a list of exceptions; instead one has to call in and ask.
For Chase high end cards there is NO exclusion, even though it has not explicitly said so.

Chase is the first issuer that I know of, covers the excess that the basic CDW is mandatory by the governments. Years ago when I found no exclusion mentioned for Australia and New Zealand on the benefits book of Chase Visa Signature. I called as I knew from past experiences all 3 genre - AMEX, VISA and MC excluded Australia and New Zealand, on exclusion list. I was told that the reason there is no exclusion list is because Chase covered worldwide, incl those countries typically on AMEX exclusion list - in way of covering the Excess.

BTW. the insurance at the time was provided by Chubb IIRC but Chase had an internal dept handled customer calls.
I dont feel the need to call to find out what country is excluded if I dont see an explicit list in the fine prints which I always go over several times to make sure.

Last edited by Happy; Sep 11, 2018 at 9:56 pm
Old Sep 12, 2018, 7:42 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

It is a matter of cost analysis. Sure it can be made the way you described, at an additional cost that may not be deemed needed.

After all, the excluded countries are in such a small number that is much easier to list the excluded countries versus create a data base for all the possible countries a customer may decide to rent a car there. I would much rather Chase spend the money in providing the actual benefits then spend the money to create such a hardly needed data base. It MATTERS where the money is spent. The convenience you think is important to you, may not pass the cost analysis for adding such feature. The sad thing is not Chase and the Benefit Administrators not think of such, the sad thing is, people dont realize things ain't free. Everything carries a cost. Some cost just is not justified when much cheaper alternatives are available.
We agree that it matters where money is spent. Apparently we disagree about how much it would cost to maintain such a list. There is no incremental cost unless the list changes, and minimal cost to move a country from one column to another if its status changes. It seems to me that paying a representative to be available to answer a question that could be answered on-line is the more expensive choice.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 11:27 am

Programs: UA S, Marriott P
I've reached out to chase to ask about this situation (using hertz points for weekly rental, paying tax/fees/options with CSR). Chase via message said they cant answer this and to contact benefits admin.
I then called benefits admin and the rep was very sure it will not be covered, however he said even if one day was paid it would be. So that throws "entire" into a doubt. I asked him to reconfirm that a rental of 6 free+ 1 paid day would be covered for all 7 days, and not just one paid and he went away to check, returning with resounding 'yes it will be covered"....

so there you more inconsistency.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 8:23 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM & 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Would love to get an opinion on if I have a chance at getting a successful appeal on this one - the card is the Sapphire Reserve -

I rented a car with Avis and did not see any damage to the vehicle upon return. It was after hours so I did key dropoff. Got a receipt via email as usual, no issues. Got a "courtesy" call later from the rental office saying there might be some damage, no details, they would provide details later. I heard nothing, figured it was some sort of mistake - usually whenever there's any sort of damage my experience has been that they get right on it. Pretty much forgot about it after a week. 71 days later, I get a letter from the Avis franchisee about the damage. I submitted a claim with eclaimsline, was rejected due to beyond 60 days. I requested a reconsideration based upon the date they formally notified me of the damage, 71 days later. I'm guessing my chances are pretty slim. I gave "Card Benefit Services" a call, the customer service rep stuck pretty hard to the 60 days, says I should have just filed something at the time.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 10:37 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
In cases where you can't waive the CDW, because some countries such as New Zealand requires it, does Chase Sapphire Reserve provide secondary coverage?

Will the reimburse the "excess" that rental agencies may charge?

Also do you have to pay for the whole rental in full at once or can you use the option in some web sites to pay down a deposit?
Old Sep 16, 2018, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by thesun
Would love to get an opinion on if I have a chance at getting a successful appeal on this one - the card is the Sapphire Reserve -

I rented a car with Avis and did not see any damage to the vehicle upon return. It was after hours so I did key dropoff. Got a receipt via email as usual, no issues. Got a "courtesy" call later from the rental office saying there might be some damage, no details, they would provide details later. I heard nothing, figured it was some sort of mistake - usually whenever there's any sort of damage my experience has been that they get right on it. Pretty much forgot about it after a week. 71 days later, I get a letter from the Avis franchisee about the damage. I submitted a claim with eclaimsline, was rejected due to beyond 60 days. I requested a reconsideration based upon the date they formally notified me of the damage, 71 days later. I'm guessing my chances are pretty slim. I gave "Card Benefit Services" a call, the customer service rep stuck pretty hard to the 60 days, says I should have just filed something at the time.
All of the time limits in the benefits package (including the 60 day requirement) have a † and the footnote says

† Not applicable to residents of certain states
I don't know which states those are or how you'd find out, but I'd say if you're not in one of them, your chances of getting Chase to cover it are 0 and you should fight with Avis or file with your own insurance instead.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by wco81
In cases where you can't waive the CDW, because some countries such as New Zealand requires it, does Chase Sapphire Reserve provide secondary coverage?

The official answer is call the benefits administrator and ask (that's what the benefits guide says to do). The unofficial answer is:

I called last year on the United business card and was told it would cover the "excess" in countries where mandatory CDW are required BY LAW. The key is BY LAW.

You would not be able to opt out the basic coverage when renting in South Africa for example. The box is greyed out.
Also do you have to pay for the whole rental in full at once or can you use the option in some web sites to pay down a deposit?
You have to "Initiate and complete the entire rental transaction using your card that is eligible for the benefit." You can put down a deposit but you have to use the same card for deposit, at the counter, and upon returning the car.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Re Excess

Chase covers the full excess which amount depends on the country and the rental companies. I posted this only a few posts above your question.

Also upthread I posted a detailed experience on our claim for a rental at Sicily. The excess was 1000 euro plus airport surcharge (14%) plus VAT. eClaims actually paid more than it needed thanks to the complex presentation Budget did on the Repair Cost Invoice that was immediately issued upon return, together with 4 pix on the damage, emailed to our inbox, and the CSR was charged on the spot. The invoice was itemized and laid out in a very clear way, eClaims paid the full amount without ever contact us other then an Approval email 7 days after filing. We should have paid the 14% airport surcharge which also subj to VAT, at 160 euro or so, but we wound up only out of pocket for 120 euro. Cannot be happier on the swift settlement.

Do NOT buy down the excess as most rental comapanies would try to talk you into doing - by doing so, you VOID the Chase coverage.

No idea on your question on prepay because we always opt to pay at the counter and never use prepay which usually only save 10% but would charge a penalty should you cancel / often could not cancel within 24 hours of pick up time. We rather have the flexibility than save a few bucks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.