Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Auto Rental CDW; questions & experiences [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 13, 2017, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Boraxo
Note: because of state laws, the CDW that Chase provides on several of its higher-end cards is only secondary coverage, not primary, for residents of Minnesota, New York, North Dakota, Rhode Island, and Texas. (report)

For MN Specifically: Statute 65b.49.5a requires that auto policies issued in the state must cover damage to rental cars with a $0 deductible as part of property liability coverage, even if the policy holder does not have comprehensive or collision coverage on their personal vehicle. This requires insurers to cover "loss of use" and damage with a minimum limit of $35,000 (even if the policy general property damage limit is lower) in 1995 dollars with a paragraph stating this number should be adjusted with CPI, so that's nearly $70k of minimum coverage as of 2023. Even if you are renting in a different state, your MN auto policy will still apply. Chase Benefit Administrators have interpreted this statute to mean that your personal auto insurance supersedes the coverage provided by Indemnity Insurance Company of North America.

Important Note: Uhaul cargo vans are specifically excluded from coverage so do not rely on Chase card for CDW if renting UHaul or similar.

Links to coverage documentation: CSR CSP INK Preferred

Submit claim at eclaimsline.com

Print Wikipost

Chase Auto Rental CDW; questions & experiences [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2017, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Anon4512
Hi All,
Quick question. When I rented a car, I paid with my Chase Sapphire Preferred Card, and I tried to decline all coverage from the rental car company (CDW, LDW etc...), but was instead put on LLDW. Long story short, I got into an accident, and need the extra coverage from Chase Sapphire. So I'm wondering whether I can argue that I didn't want the LLDW, and decline it after-the-fact?
Any insight would be appreciated.
Originally Posted by Anon4512
Limited loss damage waiver purchased from national car rental, covers damages up to 3,000 dollars to the rental car. Otherwise renter is responsible for remaining coverage.

I asked to decline all coverage, and the guy only offered me the Limited loss damage waiver (LLDW), instead of taking it all off completely (leaving me with the impression this was the lowest coverage possible). The rental occured in Philadelphia, PA. Now, I fear this will prevent me from using my Chase Sapphire CDW, as I attempt to pay over 15,000 dollars worth of damage. Any insight?
Unfortunately by taking the so-called LLDW, you have voided the credit card coverage as said coverage is not mandated by the government in US.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 6:05 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, RC/Marriot Platinum, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, IHG Platinum
Seeking a definitive answer on renting a car in Costa Rica. Last time I visited (several years ago before the Sapphire Reserve) I was forced to purchase insurance, I am hoping that the Sapphire Reserve will allow me to not have to purchase any additional insurance but could not find a firm answer when searching FT or e-mailing/calling National or Hertz. I am trying to have my ducks in a row instead of having to battle this out at the rental counter upon arrival. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 1:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
I just talked to the Benefits Administrator about coverage.

I'm looking at renting in Australia. She said that Australia, New Zealand, Costa Rica and Italy all require CDW, so you can't decline.

But in those cases, Chase would provide secondary coverage.

So for instance, the rental I was looking at requires a $3000 AUD excess. So I would pay that and get reimbursed afterwards, if my rental suffered any damage.

I asked about how much they cover and she said $75000, for primary or secondary coverage, domestic and international.

I rented a car out of Munich a couple of months ago and the Europcar office there said if I don't take their coverage, the excess is 40,000 Euros for a BMW420d that I was renting.

Maybe they meant up to 40,000 Euros, not that any kind of ding would make them try to charge that much.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 6:31 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by wco81
Maybe they meant up to 40,000 Euros, not that any kind of ding would make them try to charge that much.
It would be cost to repair (eg to make them whole to the value of the car at time of damage), not buy them a new car.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 6:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Right but a shady auto rental agency could say "we told you the excess was 40k Euro when you took out the car."
Old Oct 13, 2017, 8:45 pm

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
Originally Posted by Astrophsx
I called the 800 number and the Chase benefits rep said that if it is required by the local government or is for some reason included in the base cost of the rental that the coverage from Chase becomes secondary. If there is an excess (I assume this is their term for deductible), Chase will cover that.
This is pretty much what Chase told me when I called to ask them about CDW coverage in Italy (via my CSP), where the government mandates that a high-deductible CDW is included in the rental cost. (Notably, two different banks I have cards with said there simply wouldn't be any coverage in this case. Chase has a much more common-sense policy.)
Old Oct 13, 2017, 8:46 pm

Right but a shady auto rental agency could say "we told you the excess was 40k Euro when you took out the car."
My understanding of the word "excess" in the insurance context is it doesn't mean "you owe us this amount", it means "insurance doesn't kick in until this amount".

Damage of less than 40k eur, no insurance -- you owe them the damage (pay for the repairs). Damage of more than 40k eur, you pay 40k eur and insurance pays the rest.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 1:49 pm

What are people's experiences, specifically with length of review, with documents that require translation? Has anyone received a faster response using the Contact form over calling them?

I paid Budget/Avis for damages on a car I rented in France in late August. I submitted all of the documents online about one week after the incident. My status is still "Pend", and I have called the Administrator/Chase numerous times through Google Voice. Their response each time has been that they are waiting for translation. Last time I called them, my response was that French is not some obscure language, and it has been much more than the minimum 5 days stated on the website.

Additionally, how long has it taken for Chase to cut you a check?

The complication for me is that I live in Beirut. I will be going back go the US in a few weeks for just a couple of weeks so I obviously want to be able to deal this check while I am in the country.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 7:59 pm

Another driver hit my car and is liable for repair and rental.

I picked up the rental car and declined their CDW. I signed a rental car agreement <30 days which has a list of itemized charges that has the heading as Bill-to State Farm Pays: 100% which lists the charges and tax, and at the end ($sum of the amount). After that says Renter Charges, with Total estimated charge $0.00, and after that Payments - my CSR number - Authorized ($100.00), which was the deposit.

The rental car got dinged. Will Chase cover the repair, or do I need my personal auto insurance? Am I liable for any deductible (my personal auto insurance deductible is $250)?

Last edited by wonderboy; Oct 25, 2017 at 9:46 pm
Old Oct 26, 2017, 9:06 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
CSR is primary coverage. Call them and open a claim. Your personal auto policy shouldn't be involved.

Neil
Old Nov 1, 2017, 8:38 am
DH

I just talked to the Benefits Administrator about coverage.

I'm looking at renting in Australia. She said that Australia, New Zealand, Costa Rica and Italy all require CDW, so you can't decline.

But in those cases, Chase would provide secondary coverage.
I'm same situation with up coming Iceland rental. The high deductible CDW (~$3K) was included and I don't have to worry not being covered under CSR's CDW coverage.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
Unfortunately by taking the so-called LLDW, you have voided the credit card coverage as said coverage is not mandated by the government in US.
Well, I'll have to see. Documentation is still being collected at this point. My claim has't been rejected.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 9:39 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
Well, I'll have to see. Documentation is still being collected at this point. My claim has't been rejected. Besides I'll have to go to court if this doesn't work out... Way too much money otherwise...
Old Nov 10, 2017, 7:37 am

Does Chase cover both CDW and LDW insurance?

Do I really need to sign up for LDW(insurance damage to others?) if Chase doesnt cover it for rentals?
tks
Old Nov 22, 2017, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Any experiences on whether the CSR covers administrative fees? Processing the paperwork now and see that the rental agency is asking for $50 in admin fees.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.