Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Auto Rental CDW; questions & experiences [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 13, 2017, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Boraxo
Note: because of state laws, the CDW that Chase provides on several of its higher-end cards is only secondary coverage, not primary, for residents of Minnesota, New York, North Dakota, Rhode Island, and Texas. (report)

For MN Specifically: Statute 65b.49.5a requires that auto policies issued in the state must cover damage to rental cars with a $0 deductible as part of property liability coverage, even if the policy holder does not have comprehensive or collision coverage on their personal vehicle. This requires insurers to cover "loss of use" and damage with a minimum limit of $35,000 (even if the policy general property damage limit is lower) in 1995 dollars with a paragraph stating this number should be adjusted with CPI, so that's nearly $70k of minimum coverage as of 2023. Even if you are renting in a different state, your MN auto policy will still apply. Chase Benefit Administrators have interpreted this statute to mean that your personal auto insurance supersedes the coverage provided by Indemnity Insurance Company of North America.

Important Note: Uhaul cargo vans are specifically excluded from coverage so do not rely on Chase card for CDW if renting UHaul or similar.

Links to coverage documentation: CSR CSP INK Preferred

Submit claim at eclaimsline.com

Print Wikipost

Chase Auto Rental CDW; questions & experiences [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2017, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by mirskyc
Would this apply to New York residents renting outside of the state too? Or is it only for New York residents renting in New York?

edit: this page from the state mentions premium cards may provide primary insurance
I was told that it applies to those whose personal auto insurance policy (including a non-owned auto liability policy) was issued to a New York address, regardless of the state in which the rental occurs. (My rental was in California.)

I spoke with an Amex rep about their Premium Auto Rental insurance -- for which a charge is assessed on each rental -- and was told that that coverage would be primary, even for New York residents. My guess is that the charge per rental affects the nature of the insurance coverage, and allows it to be primary.

If you take a look at the rental-car endorsement page to your New York auto policy, you'll see that there appear to be very specific rules about which policies must pay first in the event of a claim. "Named insured" policies must pay before ordinary "insured" policies. I think that that's what is causing the problem.
Old Feb 3, 2017, 7:19 am

Originally Posted by guv1976
I was told that it applies to those whose personal auto insurance policy (including a non-owned auto liability policy) was issued to a New York address, regardless of the state in which the rental occurs. (My rental was in California.)

I spoke with an Amex rep about their Premium Auto Rental insurance -- for which a charge is assessed on each rental -- and was told that that coverage would be primary, even for New York residents. My guess is that the charge per rental affects the nature of the insurance coverage, and allows it to be primary.

If you take a look at the rental-car endorsement page to your New York auto policy, you'll see that there appear to be very specific rules about which policies must pay first in the event of a claim. "Named insured" policies must pay before ordinary "insured" policies. I think that that's what is causing the problem.
So if I understand correctly as someone who doesn't own a car or have any insurance I should have no problem using my CSR as my primary insurance renting a car while being a resident of New York?
Old Feb 3, 2017, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mirskyc
So if I understand correctly as someone who doesn't own a car or have any insurance I should have no problem using my CSR as my primary insurance renting a car while being a resident of New York?
Yes, I think that's correct, as long as you have no other collectable insurance for rental-car damage.

Of course:

1) If you have no other insurance, even the secondary coverage offered by some no-annual-fee cards should be primary coverage in your situation; and

2) The rental-car coverage -- whether primary or secondary -- offered by U.S. credit cards does not provide any third-party liability coverage.
Old Feb 4, 2017, 8:23 pm

Yes, I think that's correct, as long as you have no other collectable insurance for rental-car damage.

Of course:

1) If you have no other insurance, even the secondary coverage offered by some no-annual-fee cards should be primary coverage in your situation; and

2) The rental-car coverage -- whether primary or secondary -- offered by U.S. credit cards does not provide any third-party liability coverage.
Yes, I understand I would still need additional liability coverage that the rental company offers.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 3:45 pm

So we got our car insurance company to cover primary, would the Chase Reserve come in as secondary? Been wondering that, cant seem to find anything about it.

if not, i probably just use my Thank you Premier since i know for sure that goes into secondary.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BuBu4
So we got our car insurance company to cover primary, would the Chase Reserve come in as secondary? Been wondering that, cant seem to find anything about it.

if not, i probably just use my Thank you Premier since i know for sure that goes into secondary.
If you reside in one of the five states where CSR primary coverage is not primary, then I expect that the CSR coverage would be secondary. But you can call the Chase benefits administrator to double-check. What type of damage/loss costs do you expect that your personal auto insurance would not cover?
Old Feb 13, 2017, 6:14 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
What type of damage/loss costs do you expect that your personal auto insurance would not cover?
Deductible?
Old Feb 13, 2017, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mia
Deductible?
Deductible on damage to another's property? I think that that's rare with personal auto-insurance policies.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 7:29 pm

If you reside in one of the five states where CSR primary coverage is not primary, then I expect that the CSR coverage would be secondary. But you can call the Chase benefits administrator to double-check. What type of damage/loss costs do you expect that your personal auto insurance would not cover?
i guess its more of a just in case kind of thought... haha.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
A similar question....

I have a CSR. Am I covered if I use HERTZ points to rent the car? I still have to pay all the taxes and fees with the award rental.

I have 12 nights upcoming and more than enough points for a 2 week rental. My concern is the insurance piece, though I also have personal auto insurance if the CSR won't cover it.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 2:14 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
What steps do I need to take to ensure that Auto Rental CDW is in effect when I rent a vehicle?
Here’s what you need to do:
1) Initiate and complete the entire rental transaction using your card that is eligible for the benefit.
2) Decline the rental company’s collision damage waiver or similar provision if it is offered to you. The company may refer to the collision damage waiver as CDW or LDW in their contract or when speaking with you. If you accept the collision damage waiver offered by the rental company, you will not be eligible for Auto Rental CDW.
https://www.chasebenefits.com/sapphirereserve
Old Mar 23, 2017, 2:17 pm

Thank you, and yes, I read that.

But since it's an award, the cost of the entire rental amounts to only the taxes and fees. Does that count as an entire rental?
Old Mar 23, 2017, 8:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by Mary2e
Thank you, and yes, I read that.

But since it's an award, the cost of the entire rental amounts to only the taxes and fees. Does that count as an entire rental?
No. The word "entire" is pretty obvious.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 6:06 am

Well, perhaps I'm slow on the uptake, but it is not obvious to me.

I've seen posts that say that it covers and some that it doesn't. That's why I'm asking.
CO-PLAT likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by Mary2e
I've seen posts that say that it covers and some that it doesn't. That's why I'm asking.
When you use UR to rent the car, then it will cover. Otherwise, no.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.