Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Auto Rental CDW; questions & experiences [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 13, 2017, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Boraxo
Note: because of state laws, the CDW that Chase provides on several of its higher-end cards is only secondary coverage, not primary, for residents of Minnesota, New York, North Dakota, Rhode Island, and Texas. (report)

For MN Specifically: Statute 65b.49.5a requires that auto policies issued in the state must cover damage to rental cars with a $0 deductible as part of property liability coverage, even if the policy holder does not have comprehensive or collision coverage on their personal vehicle. This requires insurers to cover "loss of use" and damage with a minimum limit of $35,000 (even if the policy general property damage limit is lower) in 1995 dollars with a paragraph stating this number should be adjusted with CPI, so that's nearly $70k of minimum coverage as of 2023. Even if you are renting in a different state, your MN auto policy will still apply. Chase Benefit Administrators have interpreted this statute to mean that your personal auto insurance supersedes the coverage provided by Indemnity Insurance Company of North America.

Important Note: Uhaul cargo vans are specifically excluded from coverage so do not rely on Chase card for CDW if renting UHaul or similar.

Links to coverage documentation: CSR CSP INK Preferred

Submit claim at eclaimsline.com

Print Wikipost

Chase Auto Rental CDW; questions & experiences [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2016, 3:44 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by tmiw
The main problem with Chase's CDW terms is that they don't specify a maximum MSRP. While you should be okay renting a car in one of the standard categories, it does open the possibility of claims being denied if one gets a higher end car without asking for it. Having a maximum MSRP listed in the terms (Diners Club/BMO, possibly other issuers) leaves much less doubt.
That's why outside the US, I use Citi Prestige or Premier card as they will be primary coverage and max of $100K USD. Within the US, CSP is usually go to card but if vehicle assigned is questionable, I will either call Chase or switch to AMEX.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 12:13 pm

What cars included in Rental Car coverage with CSP?

Sorry if this is wrong forum to ask.

I have CSP and was planning to rent my rental with it, but was wondering. The car I was planning to rent is BMW X3/Cadillac SRX (or maybe upgraded to X5/Escalade).

I could not find ANYWHERE what models are included in "Select models from BMW/MB/Cadillac/Lincoln rental" is included in primary insurance coverage that CSP covers.

Does anyone know which models are covered?

Amex premium rental is pretty specific that for $25, they will cover pretty much any car less than $100k.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
It excludes "expensive, exotic........" vehicles. But the sentence says: "However, selected models of BMW, M-B, Cadillac and Lincoln are covered". I'd call 1-800-673-1691 for clarification.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 11:18 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by hpark21
Sorry if this is wrong forum to ask.

I have CSP and was planning to rent my rental with it, but was wondering. The car I was planning to rent is BMW X3/Cadillac SRX (or maybe upgraded to X5/Escalade).

I could not find ANYWHERE what models are included in "Select models from BMW/MB/Cadillac/Lincoln rental" is included in primary insurance coverage that CSP covers.

Does anyone know which models are covered?

Amex premium rental is pretty specific that for $25, they will cover pretty much any car less than $100k.
You need to call Chase. Pretty sure Escalade is excluded. X5 might be excluded as well.
Old May 31, 2016, 12:11 pm

Chase Sapphire Preferred CDW Coverage

I rented a car from Avis on Post St. in San Francisco over Memorial Day and I declined any insurance coverage through the rental outlet. I parked the car overnight on Clay St. and Polk St., two blocks from my apartment building. I just went to return the car this morning and found that some jerk smashed the back windshield and it's completely shattered. I'm taking the car back to Avis right now and just wanted to check with the forum to find out exactly how to proceed in order to ensure full coverage through Chase. Thanks for any help and feedback.

Last edited by OliverB; May 31, 2016 at 2:24 pm
Old May 31, 2016, 6:39 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Click here:

https://www.chasebenefits.com/sapphirepreferredMW3

...download PDF and begin reading on page 4, Claim Information (1-888-320-9961)
Old Jun 1, 2016, 3:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Don't forget to get a police report from SFPD.
Old Jun 1, 2016, 7:31 am

Thank you both. So frustrating to have to deal with this because if some drunk xxx

Last edited by philemer; Jun 1, 2016 at 9:02 am Reason: language
Old Jun 3, 2016, 10:23 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, JB Mosaic, SW AList + CP
Does CSP primary car insurance automatically cover spouse

I cancelled my Chase Sapphire preferred but my wife has the card still.

I normally drive when we rent cars but we will need to use her card to rent.

So does the CSP primary insurance automatically cover the rental?

Thx
Old Jun 3, 2016, 10:48 am
mia

I just noticed that the PDF document that I linked in post #2 is apparently for the MasterCard version of Sapphire Preferred. If I can locate the corresponding document for the VISA version I will add it to the thread.
Old Jun 3, 2016, 10:48 am

OP - Can you let us know how easy or difficult the claims process is when your done? I plan on renting a car with my CSP soon and would be curious to know how difficult it'll be to file a claim. Thanks..
Old Jun 3, 2016, 11:45 am
Community Director Emerita

The car rental contract must be in the name of the person whose credit card it is. I think that the spouse is able to drive the car for no additional charge.

From the Chase Benefit book:

Coverage information
Who is eligible for coverage?
You, a person to whom a United States (U.S.) credit card has been
issued (“Cardholder”) and your name is embossed on the card. You
are then covered as the primary renter of the vehicle and any additional
drivers permitted to operate it under the terms of the rental agreement
(“Authorized Person”) are also covered.
Old Jun 3, 2016, 12:32 pm

Programs: Dirt Status w/ All
Chase uses Card Benefit Services to process claims. You can actually start a claim online here: https://www.eclaimsline.com/

I started one after Sixt noticed minor damage to the car I rented in Ireland last month. I actually called first since I had typed the website wrong on my first try. They started a case and told me to go online to start the claim. Sixt never billed me so I think the guy was too busy to write it up. In case they do, I at least have 365 days to get the info filed.

My other dealings with Card Benefit Services has been to get a letter of coverage (required in Ireland). They answer on the first ring and are great to deal with. Last time it was exactly three minutes from clicking Send on my phone to the personalized letter of coverage showing up in my inbox.
Old Jun 3, 2016, 2:31 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, JB Mosaic, SW AList + CP
^^thank you for that..

but i think some car rental companies charge a per day charge for additional drivers..

.. maybe i should just use the amex PRG car rental insurance for the fee.
Old Jun 4, 2016, 3:29 am
mia

Originally Posted by mia
I just noticed that the PDF document that I linked in post #2 is apparently for the MasterCard version of Sapphire Preferred..
Visa version here:

https://www.chasebenefits.com/sapphirepreferredVW17

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.