Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Auto Rental CDW; questions & experiences [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 13, 2017, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Boraxo
Note: because of state laws, the CDW that Chase provides on several of its higher-end cards is only secondary coverage, not primary, for residents of Minnesota, New York, North Dakota, Rhode Island, and Texas. (report)

For MN Specifically: Statute 65b.49.5a requires that auto policies issued in the state must cover damage to rental cars with a $0 deductible as part of property liability coverage, even if the policy holder does not have comprehensive or collision coverage on their personal vehicle. This requires insurers to cover "loss of use" and damage with a minimum limit of $35,000 (even if the policy general property damage limit is lower) in 1995 dollars with a paragraph stating this number should be adjusted with CPI, so that's nearly $70k of minimum coverage as of 2023. Even if you are renting in a different state, your MN auto policy will still apply. Chase Benefit Administrators have interpreted this statute to mean that your personal auto insurance supersedes the coverage provided by Indemnity Insurance Company of North America.

Important Note: Uhaul cargo vans are specifically excluded from coverage so do not rely on Chase card for CDW if renting UHaul or similar.

Links to coverage documentation: CSR CSP INK Preferred

Submit claim at eclaimsline.com

Print Wikipost

Chase Auto Rental CDW; questions & experiences [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2016, 1:06 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Just wanted to add my experience. National claimed I damaged a car in El Paso by damaging the underside of the front bumper . Talked with the National loss unit in Tulsa (that guy was easy to deal with, btw), who said they couldn't definitively prove I did it. In the end I let Chase handle it, even though I probably could have fought it more on my side.

Paperwork was a bit of a pain to gather, but in the end National sent everything they had to Chase and I sent my stuff over separately. Total time was three weeks before they cut National a check.

Easy to deal with, aside from the paperwork. I used Amex years ago and they were easy to deal with as well.
Old Sep 4, 2016, 1:14 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by james89
I've had to use both the $24.95 Amex insurance and CSP insurance for little issues. Both were able to get the job done, but Chase was more work on my end.

Amex - caught a pretty large rock that immediately cracked the windshield of a rental car in Germany. The rental return immediately noticed it, and I was charged 700 or so EUR for repair and loss of use, on the spot. Amex mentioned this would happen and recommended I dispute the charge while going through the claim process. The claim process was easy - I sent Amex copies of all of the paperwork, a photo of the vehicle and damage, and a month later the issue was resolved.

Chase - ran over a raccoon or something running across the highway and destroyed the front bumper of a Camry. While Chase did eventually cover, I had to pay National's initial estimate of repair+loss of use (refunded later) and chase National around for a few weeks for paperwork.

If I'm renting internationally (especially if I'm not good at the language) I'll use Amex, otherwise Chase will get the job done.
In what way does it *ever* make sense to pay $24.95 for rental insurance? Yes, if something happens, it makes it easier, but I've rented a lot of cars and the probability that something will actually happen to the car is low (only one of my rentals has ever been damaged during the rental period). If I had paid $24.95 for every rental, I'd probably be out well over $2k-3k by now (the damage to the one rental that did take damage was about $350 and covered by the credit card, and if if had gone past the deductible, the remainder would have been covered by my personal insurance).
Old Sep 4, 2016, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by STS-134
In what way does it *ever* make sense to pay $24.95 for rental insurance?
Making sense or not, it is straightly a personal choice.

Beside - OP has indicated that AMEX is better in term of claim resolution. So you can look at this as a premium claim processing fee.
Old Sep 4, 2016, 9:17 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
In what way does it *ever* make sense to pay $24.95 for rental insurance? Yes, if something happens, it makes it easier, but I've rented a lot of cars and the probability that something will actually happen to the car is low (only one of my rentals has ever been damaged during the rental period). If I had paid $24.95 for every rental, I'd probably be out well over $2k-3k by now (the damage to the one rental that did take damage was about $350 and covered by the credit card, and if if had gone past the deductible, the remainder would have been covered by my personal insurance).
If renting internationally, paying $24.95 for AMEX insurance probably would be overkill as many credit cards already offers primary coverage. Within the US, it may make sense unless your credit card also offers primary coverage
Old Sep 4, 2016, 11:44 pm

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Flat rate of $19.95 / $24.95 per rental period, not per day depending on your coverage selection ($15.95 / $17.95 for CA Residents; $12.25 / $15.25 for FL)

https://www295.americanexpress.com/p...OeAaAkd88P8HAQ
Old Sep 5, 2016, 12:51 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, SPG Gold
Fair. Nearly all of my rentals are in the US, where I'm comfortable navigating the red tape with the CSP. This particular rental was a one-way, and German rental agencies have unreal attention to detail. Just turned out that it was worthwhile this go around.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 3:24 pm

Takata Recall - Loaner Car from Dealer (Primary rental car insurance question)

Quick question. My car is involved in the HUGE takata recall, and after talking to the dealership, they said if I bring the car in, they'll give me a loaner car. All they need is my insurance, DL, and credit card (no charge) for any additional rental car insurance, etc.

I contacted my insurance provider because I'm not sure what my coverage is with rental cars...BUT - would this be the proper time to use my CSP or CSR? It might be few months worth of a "rental."

Thanks!
Old Sep 20, 2016, 4:26 pm

Your chase card only covers rentals up to 31 days. Any rental for longer than that isn't covered with the insurance.

Not sure if they will cover a rental from a dealer at all though
Old Sep 20, 2016, 6:07 pm

But if the rental doesn't cost you anything, would CSP/CSR benefits kick in?
Old Sep 20, 2016, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by Kayakj
Your chase card only covers rentals up to 31 days. Any rental for longer than that isn't covered with the insurance.

Not sure if they will cover a rental from a dealer at all though
It's a loaner not a rental. Your own ins. will cover you. Call your agent to verify. The card you give them won't matter because nothing should be charged to it.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 3:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by philemer
It's a loaner not a rental. Your own ins. will cover you. Call your agent to verify. The card you give them won't matter because nothing should be charged to it.
+1 Unless it is not a loaner, which means you will have to pay rental cost.

Then Chase's benefit will kick in.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 1:20 pm

Ah - perfect. Thank you for the clarifications. Yes - this would be a no charge loaner, and yes, I found that my insurance would cover me in this case.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 8:39 pm

Programs: DL,UA,AA,F9,NK,B6
Doubt about the rental car coverage in Germany

I have the Chase Sapphire Reserve credit card that offers the LDW/CDW for rental cars as a primary coverage.

I remember to have seen the information that the coverage for rental cars by credit cards is illegal in Germany, but there is nothing about that in Chase Sapphire Reserve benefits.

I will be renting the car in Amsterdam and driving it to Germany, Luxembourg, Belgium, and maybe France.

I have asked both Chase and Hertz whether I am going to be covered in Germany, but they both did not know the answer.

Has anyone already had such an experience and does anyone know for sure whether I will be covered in Germany if I pay the whole rental price with my Chase Sapphire Reserve card and decline the rental company LDW/CDW?

Thanks!

Last edited by mandrivnyk; Nov 3, 2016 at 2:12 am
Old Oct 29, 2016, 2:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am not sure about your source of information.

AFAIK - the countries you mentioned are not typical excluded from insurance coverage provided by credit card.
Old Oct 29, 2016, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by mandrivnyk
I have the Chase Sapphire Reserve credit card that offers the LDW/CDW for rental cars as a primary coverage.

I remember to have seen the information that the coverage for rental cars by credit cards is illegal in Germany, but there is nothing about that in Chase Sapphire Reserve benefits.

I will be renting the car in Amsterdam and drive it to Germany, Luxembourg, Belgium, and maybe France.

I have asked both Chase and Hertz whether I am going to be covered in Germany, but they both did not know the answer.

Has anyone already had such an experience and does anyone know for sure whether I will be covered in Germany if I pay the whole rental price with my Chase Sapphire Reserve card and decline the rental company LDW/CDW?

Thanks!
Originally Posted by garykung
I am not sure about your source of information.

AFAIK - the countries you mentioned are not typical excluded from insurance coverage provided by credit card.
https://www.chasebenefits.com/sapphirereserve A phone # is at the bottom of page 2 that you can call for answers.

Last edited by philemer; Oct 29, 2016 at 12:34 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.