Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Auto Rental CDW; questions & experiences [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 13, 2017, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Boraxo
Note: because of state laws, the CDW that Chase provides on several of its higher-end cards is only secondary coverage, not primary, for residents of Minnesota, New York, North Dakota, Rhode Island, and Texas. (report)

For MN Specifically: Statute 65b.49.5a requires that auto policies issued in the state must cover damage to rental cars with a $0 deductible as part of property liability coverage, even if the policy holder does not have comprehensive or collision coverage on their personal vehicle. This requires insurers to cover "loss of use" and damage with a minimum limit of $35,000 (even if the policy general property damage limit is lower) in 1995 dollars with a paragraph stating this number should be adjusted with CPI, so that's nearly $70k of minimum coverage as of 2023. Even if you are renting in a different state, your MN auto policy will still apply. Chase Benefit Administrators have interpreted this statute to mean that your personal auto insurance supersedes the coverage provided by Indemnity Insurance Company of North America.

Important Note: Uhaul cargo vans are specifically excluded from coverage so do not rely on Chase card for CDW if renting UHaul or similar.

Links to coverage documentation: CSR CSP INK Preferred

Submit claim at eclaimsline.com

Print Wikipost

Chase Auto Rental CDW; questions & experiences [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2016, 8:05 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond. National Biz Exec. AMX Plat. CSR. Bonvoy Brilliant. Delta Reserve.
Originally Posted by OliverB
I rented a car from Avis on Post St. in San Francisco over Memorial Day and I declined any insurance coverage through the rental outlet. I parked the car overnight on Clay St. and Polk St., two blocks from my apartment building. I just went to return the car this morning and found that some jerk smashed the back windshield and it's completely shattered. I'm taking the car back to Avis right now and just wanted to check with the forum to find out exactly how to proceed in order to ensure full coverage through Chase. Thanks for any help and feedback.
I had a similar incident with one of my rentals. I was hit by a drugged up person with no insurance.

You will have to have a police report, declined additional coverage at the rental agency and have paid the entire rental card bill with your CSP card.

Chase paid almost $5k for the damages for my rental. Very happy with them for this benefit.
Old Jun 11, 2016, 5:53 am

Originally Posted by mia
Note long-running discussion (& links in wiki) at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...t-changes.html
Old Jun 19, 2016, 6:30 pm

Has anyone had experiences with the Primary CDW Coverage?

Back story: Some dude backed up into me while I was waiting for another parking spot. I'm more annoyed at the prospect of paperwork and the process more than anything else as the damage was light and to teh bumper.

The rental was with Hertz (declined coverage with them). What are the steps for using Chase's Primary CDW coverage on the Sapphire Card? Do I report to Hertz AND Chase simultaneously? Or do I report to Hertz first and wait for them to bill me?

The reason I ask is because my gf and I got into a situation like this 3 years ago and after HOURS of calling Hertz and Amex (we had the premium AMEX rental coverage back then prior to Chase going primary), we figured they wanted us to report to Hertz first, and then only contact AMEX once we get billed. My confidence is like 75% on that because everyone we spoke to was generally incompetent or clueless. In the end Hertz never contacted us back or even charged us. It was a minor bumper damage too, and I'm guessing unless its serious damage they don't really bother pursuing all repairs.

I figure I'd try my dice here asking if anyone has had experiences or has any definitive knowledge on the process before I embark on a painful customer service phone roulette game....
Old Jun 19, 2016, 6:47 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond. National Biz Exec. AMX Plat. CSR. Bonvoy Brilliant. Delta Reserve.
Originally Posted by dmo580
Back story: Some dude backed up into me while I was waiting for another parking spot. I'm more annoyed at the prospect of paperwork and the process more than anything else as the damage was light and to teh bumper.

The rental was with Hertz (declined coverage with them). What are the steps for using Chase's Primary CDW coverage on the Sapphire Card? Do I report to Hertz AND Chase simultaneously? Or do I report to Hertz first and wait for them to bill me?

The reason I ask is because my gf and I got into a situation like this 3 years ago and after HOURS of calling Hertz and Amex (we had the premium AMEX rental coverage back then prior to Chase going primary), we figured they wanted us to report to Hertz first, and then only contact AMEX once we get billed. My confidence is like 75% on that because everyone we spoke to was generally incompetent or clueless. In the end Hertz never contacted us back or even charged us. It was a minor bumper damage too, and I'm guessing unless its serious damage they don't really bother pursuing all repairs.

I figure I'd try my dice here asking if anyone has had experiences or has any definitive knowledge on the process before I embark on a painful customer service phone roulette game....
Call the number on the back of your CSP. They should and will most likely cover it. I had a lady hit me in my rental and I called and after a few packets of paperwork they paid.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 1:29 pm

Programs: AA - EP, Marriott - PP
Originally posted this in the wrong thread:

I'm considering getting the CSP where the primary auto rental coverage is a large reason I would hold the card. The linked terms and conditions say I would need to put the entire charge on the CSP and decline the rental company's insurance.

I searched but I can't find any discussion of using a rental company's points to offset the rental costs. The prior discussion of using UR points and not having primary coverage makes sense, you haven't put the entire charge on the CSP. But by using Hertz points for example, it shows on the receipt as using a coupon and the full amount of taxes and fees are put on the card.

I typically use Hertz points I earn for personal trips since they usually have a decent value, and if the CSP wouldn't provide protection for points rentals that really affects the math in keeping it long term.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 11:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
What are the steps for using Chase's Primary CDW coverage on the Sapphire Card?
Have all related information ready. Then call the phone number in the benefit guide for Primary CDW benefit.

Do I report to Hertz AND Chase simultaneously?
Or do I report to Hertz first and wait for them to bill me?
Report all relevant parties ASAP.

Originally Posted by robbierob03
I searched but I can't find any discussion of using a rental company's points to offset the rental costs.
You will have to call the benefit administrator for a more detailed description. In general, all award redemption are excluded unless specified otherwise. In other word, to protect yourself, the coverage for award should be explicitly spelled out.
Old Jun 21, 2016, 7:44 am

Programs: AA - EP, Marriott - PP
Originally Posted by garykung
You will have to call the benefit administrator for a more detailed description. In general, all award redemption are excluded unless specified otherwise. In other word, to protect yourself, the coverage for award should be explicitly spelled out.
I need to wait a week in order to apply for the CSP to get under 5/24, but I'll be curious if the answer changes between using the words "award redemption" and "promotional coupon". I only have experience with Hertz but award redemptions are simply coupons that apply to the rental. Not trying to skirt any rules, but if they'll deny any claim with a coupon attached that's a limitation I wasn't expecting.
Old Jun 21, 2016, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by robbierob03
I need to wait a week in order to apply for the CSP to get under 5/24, but I'll be curious if the answer changes between using the words "award redemption" and "promotional coupon". I only have experience with Hertz but award redemptions are simply coupons that apply to the rental. Not trying to skirt any rules, but if they'll deny any claim with a coupon attached that's a limitation I wasn't expecting.
IMHO - the wording ("award redemption"/"promotional coupon") is not the issue. It is how it looks in the invoice. Remember, the benefit administrator can see that your base rate has been deducted, not in a discount, but totally.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 6:55 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

any experience with how CDW works when renting via Autoeurope or any sort of other company which works via a prepaid voucher?

thanks
FDW
Old Sep 3, 2016, 12:15 am

Rental Car Damaged while Parked CSP CDW

Current in Hawaii and had my car parked, by valet, and it was hit while parked overnight, either by one of the other valet drivers or other passengers as the self-parking lot is apparently attached.

The hotel valet staff had me fill an incident report and was told that their insurance/claim company would handle contacting National. However, the car is still able to be driven, the damage is a soft ball sized ding in the drivers side top finder.

My questions is:

Should I file a police report.
Should I call national and let them know before bringing the car back in.
Should I allow the hotels car valet company to handle the claim.
Should I go ahead and get the benefits center at Chase involved?

Thank you for all the help in advance!
Old Sep 3, 2016, 1:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by whoknew89
Sure. There is no harm for doing this.

Not necessary. But make sure you have the paperwork filed out.

Should I allow the hotels car valet company to handle the claim.
No if you can.

In National's perspective, you are the renter. So you bear the ultimate responsibility.

Yes - the worst case is a waste of time.
Old Sep 3, 2016, 11:44 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by garykung
In National's perspective, you are the renter. So you bear the ultimate responsibility.
But if they're willing to own up to their mistake and pay for the damage, why not? That's the right thing to do on their part, regardless of who National holds responsible. It sounds like they at least acknowledged responsibility, and at least the OP's story is better than mine. I was in Puerto Rico when I gave my car to the valet and it came back with a big gash in the side. The valet (actually the guy at the front desk of the hotel) wasn't there in the morning, and when I confronted him about it the following night, he claimed that he "didn't remember" anything that happened. I had to say that I did the damage in order to get MasterRental to pay the claim (damage was below the $500 deductible for my personal insurance) which really pissed me off.
Old Sep 3, 2016, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by STS-134
But if they're willing to own up to their mistake and pay for the damage, why not?
I am not saying that the valet company should not pay for anything. In fact, the valet company should pay for everything per OP.

However, National does not care who or which is responsible. As soon as OP's name is on the rental contract and CDW is not included, National will go after OP unless someone (OP or not) to pay up.

IMHO - once National has the final bill drawn, OP should demand the same amount from the valet company and the amount should be payable to OP. OP then will pay National. It sounds complicated. But it can ensure that OP will not be caught between National and the valet company.
Old Sep 3, 2016, 8:46 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
I absolutely would for both. This is the whole point to primary rental coverage. Make Chase deal with it, you have better things to do with your life. Chase covers the damage, and they can decide if they want to go after the valet company to get their money back.

Call Chase and make it their problem. That's why you have the card and use it to rent cars.

Neil
Old Sep 4, 2016, 5:54 am

Programs: AS MVPG, SPG Gold
I've had to use both the $24.95 Amex insurance and CSP insurance for little issues. Both were able to get the job done, but Chase was more work on my end.

Amex - caught a pretty large rock that immediately cracked the windshield of a rental car in Germany. The rental return immediately noticed it, and I was charged 700 or so EUR for repair and loss of use, on the spot. Amex mentioned this would happen and recommended I dispute the charge while going through the claim process. The claim process was easy - I sent Amex copies of all of the paperwork, a photo of the vehicle and damage, and a month later the issue was resolved.

Chase - ran over a raccoon or something running across the highway and destroyed the front bumper of a Camry. While Chase did eventually cover, I had to pay National's initial estimate of repair+loss of use (refunded later) and chase National around for a few weeks for paperwork.

If I'm renting internationally (especially if I'm not good at the language) I'll use Amex, otherwise Chase will get the job done.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.