Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Auto Rental CDW; questions & experiences [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 13, 2017, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Boraxo
Note: because of state laws, the CDW that Chase provides on several of its higher-end cards is only secondary coverage, not primary, for residents of Minnesota, New York, North Dakota, Rhode Island, and Texas. (report)

For MN Specifically: Statute 65b.49.5a requires that auto policies issued in the state must cover damage to rental cars with a $0 deductible as part of property liability coverage, even if the policy holder does not have comprehensive or collision coverage on their personal vehicle. This requires insurers to cover "loss of use" and damage with a minimum limit of $35,000 (even if the policy general property damage limit is lower) in 1995 dollars with a paragraph stating this number should be adjusted with CPI, so that's nearly $70k of minimum coverage as of 2023. Even if you are renting in a different state, your MN auto policy will still apply. Chase Benefit Administrators have interpreted this statute to mean that your personal auto insurance supersedes the coverage provided by Indemnity Insurance Company of North America.

Important Note: Uhaul cargo vans are specifically excluded from coverage so do not rely on Chase card for CDW if renting UHaul or similar.

Links to coverage documentation: CSR CSP INK Preferred

Submit claim at eclaimsline.com

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2015, 11:48 pm
Original Poster

I currently use Amex's PCRP, which has worked as advertised on a number of occasions, and without any hassle.

I was thinking of switching to CSP due the lack of an additional surcharge per rental, but I am troubled by the ambiguous language in the terms and conditions.

For example, CSP excludes "expensive. . . automobiles, vehicles that have an open bed. . . selected models of BMW, Mercedes-Benz, Cadillac, and Lincoln are covered" but then doesn't specify which particular models of BMW, Mercedes, Cadillac, and Lincoln are covered. The terms and conditions also don't appear to define "expensive".

If I have any questions, I am to call the Benefits Administrator, which frankly seems impractical and inconvenient. Am I supposed to call each time I rent a luxury car to see if it's covered?

Has anyone had any issues using CSP's primary rental car insurance protection?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by iluvdoco; May 5, 2015 at 11:56 pm
Old May 6, 2015, 1:02 am

Programs: American, Hawaiian, United
I would just pay the $24.95. Why change when it works. It worked for me when my rental was involved in a major hit and run while it was parked. Absolutely no hassles. AMEX took care of everything including the rental companies attempt to try and charge for loss of revenue, which was more than the damage.
Old May 6, 2015, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by iluvdoco
If I have any questions, I am to call the Benefits Administrator, which frankly seems impractical and inconvenient. Am I supposed to call each time I rent a luxury car to see if it's covered?
Yup. Unless you want to take the chance on whether or not you're covered.
Old May 6, 2015, 8:29 pm
Original Poster

Thanks Crandall and takeshi74. Think I'll stick with AMEX.
nomad420 likes this.
Old May 6, 2015, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
For example, CSP excludes "expensive. . . automobiles, vehicles that have an open bed. . . selected models of BMW, Mercedes-Benz, Cadillac, and Lincoln are covered" but then doesn't specify which particular models of BMW, Mercedes, Cadillac, and Lincoln are covered. The terms and conditions also don't appear to define "expensive".
I never did like that verbiage in the terms because of its vagueness. Diner's Club/MasterCard for example has a $50,000 MSRP maximum in their terms which is a lot more concrete and less easily weaseled out of, unless of course you rent a car worth more than that. Since Silvercar was so open about the MSRP of their Audi A4s (around $31,000 IIRC), that upcoming rental is going to be going on DC instead of CSP.

Would the Benefits Administrator for the CSP likely have approved the A4 rental? Perhaps, but unless I got that in the mail in writing I can imagine a situation where they claim the rental was never approved and I have to try to prove otherwise. Not good.
Old May 6, 2015, 11:29 pm

The Amex primary rental insurance covers all SUVs and all luxury cars for same price? No need to have Amex issued Amex cards to purchase that coverage right?
Old May 7, 2015, 12:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Blueskyheaven
The Amex primary rental insurance covers all SUVs and all luxury cars for same price? No need to have Amex issued Amex cards to purchase that coverage right?
There are 2 tiers; for $19.95 per application, covers cars/trucks up to $75K in value; for $24.95, covers up to $100k in value. And unlike CSP, Amex would appear to cover pickup trucks.
Old May 7, 2015, 2:42 pm

There are 2 tiers; for $19.95 per application, covers cars/trucks up to $75K in value; for $24.95, covers up to $100k in value. And unlike CSP, Amex would appear to cover pickup trucks.
so it is the value of the vehicle you are renting and not the type of cars?
Do we have to google search to know the value of car before buying the Amex coverage?
Old May 7, 2015, 5:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Blueskyheaven
so it is the value of the vehicle you are renting and not the type of cars?
Do we have to google search to know the value of car before buying the Amex coverage?
Some cars are excluded, but generally Amex goes by the MSRP of the rental car.

See the summary of terms and conditions below.

https://www295.americanexpress.com/p...verage/home.do

I would say most ordinary rental cars are probably covered, unless you're renting a specialty Maserati or Escalade or Mercedes that might be well optioned and have a high MSRP.
Old May 7, 2015, 5:39 pm

$24.95 for PRIMARY insurance is well worth it for us as our shortest rentals are 6 days.

My wife's corporate insurance through National includes LDW but we still use the Amex and pay the $25................better safe than sorry even though they say it's ok to use the corp rate
Old Jun 4, 2015, 8:42 am
Suspended

Experience with Primary CDW on Chase MileagePlus Card or Any Other Card?

Hi,

I'm going overseas for a 3 weeks stay in Europe. Will be renting a car for that period.

A nice perk of the Mileage Plus card is that it offers primary CDW instead of secondary CDW. I'd like to know people's experience with this if they have been unfortunate enough to have an accident.

In particularly, I've read reports that with secondary CDW, the rental company bills your card for the damages and then you have to work it out with visa to get reimbursed. This can require getting all sorts of documentation. Is it the same with primary CDW?

Thanks.
Old Jun 4, 2015, 8:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by inpd
A nice perk of the Mileage Plus card is that it offers primary CDW instead of secondary CDW.
You are confusing insurance with a collision damage waiver. The credit card provides insurance for damage to the vehicle. Rental car companies sell damage waivers. They are not the same thing.

In particularly, I've read reports that with secondary CDW, the rental company bills your card for the damages and then you have to work it out with visa to get reimbursed. This can require getting all sorts of documentation. Is it the same with primary CDW?
That has nothing to do with the type of coverage you have. That's the car rental company policy. The only way to avoid having your card charged for damage to the vehicle is to purchase the rental company's CDW.

Last edited by Kacee; Jun 4, 2015 at 9:08 am
Old Jun 4, 2015, 9:26 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If there is damage to the vehicle and you do not purchase the company's CDW, you are responsible. If you have CDW through a CC or any other coverage for that matter, you then make your claim to that funding pot.
Old Jun 4, 2015, 9:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Also, make sure your card covers you for the specific country you will be driving in. Some countries are very restrictive in this respect. For example, the only U.S. card you can use for primary coverage in Israel is a World MasterCard (I know it's not Europe, but there may be European countries with similar restrictions).
Old Jun 4, 2015, 9:45 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
I'm going to move this to our Chase credit card forum. I believe there are similar threads there already that might be helpful to you.

l'etoile
UA moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.