Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Auto Rental CDW; questions & experiences [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 13, 2017, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Boraxo
Note: because of state laws, the CDW that Chase provides on several of its higher-end cards is only secondary coverage, not primary, for residents of Minnesota, New York, North Dakota, Rhode Island, and Texas. (report)

For MN Specifically: Statute 65b.49.5a requires that auto policies issued in the state must cover damage to rental cars with a $0 deductible as part of property liability coverage, even if the policy holder does not have comprehensive or collision coverage on their personal vehicle. This requires insurers to cover "loss of use" and damage with a minimum limit of $35,000 (even if the policy general property damage limit is lower) in 1995 dollars with a paragraph stating this number should be adjusted with CPI, so that's nearly $70k of minimum coverage as of 2023. Even if you are renting in a different state, your MN auto policy will still apply. Chase Benefit Administrators have interpreted this statute to mean that your personal auto insurance supersedes the coverage provided by Indemnity Insurance Company of North America.

Important Note: Uhaul cargo vans are specifically excluded from coverage so do not rely on Chase card for CDW if renting UHaul or similar.

Links to coverage documentation: CSR CSP INK Preferred

Submit claim at eclaimsline.com

Print Wikipost

Chase Auto Rental CDW; questions & experiences [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2019, 1:25 pm

Programs: MR, AA, UA, DL, AVIS and growing
Originally Posted by a7m
And so I heard that Sapphire Reserve car insurance is the best in the market. I had my first accident involving a car rental in 20 years and was surprised to discover that the benefits company they employ (Card Benefits) is pretty lousy. I had a minor damage to a bumper when I was in Hawaii. I just backed into a rock, so no one else was involved in the accident. A straightforward case. Yet, Car Benefits decided to pay much less than they were billed. They refuse to pay what it cost to ship an item to HI. They refuse to pay the loss of usage beyond one day. When I had a minor accident twenty years, some low-level credit card I had at the time paid for everything. And here’s Reserve, praised by many, but in reality, at least for me, a mediocre service. Anyone had positive experience with their car rental insurance? I need to decide whether to renew the card.
1. Auto rental policy underwriter is Chubb Inc as defined in your Benefits Guide.
2. Benefits Administrators is Eclaims
Both of these 3rd party companies are terrible, unreliable and poorly trained to insure or file claims.

ChubbInc refused to update the Proof of Insurance Letter Chase Card Benefits sends out which refuses to identify where primary coverage is not applicable. when you call in Card Benefits they DO NOT know and won't make any effort to confirm any countries except the four in your letter(Northern Ireland, republic of Ireland, Jamaica, Israel).

Chase Bank and Citi Bank are terrible when actually filing claims and getting full coverage. You've found a few "grey" areas like limited loss of use, not applicable in many countries but not defined, purchase protection "mysterious disappearance" is not covered, Carry on Luggage if not monitored by card hold is excluded and only theft a with police report at cash value is accept. Add the hassle of a police report, claim to private insurance company, diminished cash value, then finally determination by Eclaims on these claims.

Not very impressive in the end.

Last edited by euromannn; Feb 15, 2019 at 3:50 pm
Old Feb 15, 2019, 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by themicah
Anybody have experience with Card Benefit Services and a rental company deadlocking over diminution/diminished value?

We banged up a Hertz car over the summer in Florida. I promptly submitted everything to eclaimsline and the idiots at Card Benefit Services initially sent me an e-mail saying they'd approved my claim--for about half of Hertz's demand. When I called to ask what was going on, they said it was a mistake, and that they would negotiate directly with Hertz, and that I shouldn't owe anything. A few hours later I got another e-mail saying they'd sent a release to Hertz to confirm the negotiation and settle the claim.

But apparently the idiots at Card Benefit Services screwed up again, because today I heard from Hertz that while Hertz received and signed a release for the full amount of the demand, Card Benefits Services decided that the release was also a mistake, and they are actually only willing to pay Hertz about 2/3 of the demand.

I called Card Benefit Services again, and they say the issue is diminished value. I thought Hertz's demand was quite reasonable in light of the damage (Hertz gets great rates on parts and labor based on the repair bill they included with their demand), but about 1/4 of the overall demand was for diminution of value, and Chase says they won't pay it. I've checked and diminished value is a valid claim in Florida (not so in every state), and Chase's terms do in fact exclude it. Card Benefit Services says it doesn't matter how reasonable the rest of the claim was, they won't pay a dime for diminished value.

Hertz initially said that the deal with Card Benefit Services was off altogether and they were demanding the full amount from me. When I pushed back they said they would sign Chase's reduced release if I'll first pay the difference between that and the full claim (minus a small "customer service" discount).

Before I get my personal insurance involved (because isn't the whole point of primary coverage from Chase supposed to be that I don't have to get my personal insurance involved?!), has anybody dealt with this before?

I also find it bizarre that if Hertz would have declared the car a total loss, Chase would have paid the whole thing (I know this to be true as a family member had a Hertz car stolen a couple years ago and Chase took care of the whole thing), but because Hertz fixed it for a very reasonable price, Chase refuses to pay the diminished value.
Could you advise is diminished value a valid claim in Washington state?

I don't trust Chase's Claims department at all.

Last edited by euromannn; Feb 15, 2019 at 3:44 pm
Old Feb 15, 2019, 3:22 pm

Hello,
I am planning to rent in Iceland using Chase Sapphire Preferred (US).
Do I understand this correctly?
To be covered by CC I need to : decline CDW, SCDW
do not add theft protection, sand and dust, or gravel coverage, or any other add on insurance -
Put entire amount on same CC
I have the letter of coverage from chase. I was told by them that if I cannot decline CDW, I will not be covered by CC.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by airsupply
Hello,
I am planning to rent in Iceland using Chase Sapphire Preferred (US).
Do I understand this correctly?
To be covered by CC I need to : decline CDW, SCDW
do not add theft protection, sand and dust, or gravel coverage, or any other add on insurance -
Put entire amount on same CC
I have the letter of coverage from chase. I was told by them that if I cannot decline CDW, I will not be covered by CC.
1. First I would write to AVIS Iceland --- each country has different requirements on requiring purchase of CDW or even 3rd party liability.
Not sure which agency you want to went from.
Here is the link tossed email: https://secure.avis.is/en/email-us

2. Yes - Must decline CDW. SCDW is same as CDW except lower deductible is my understanding.
Theft is covered in CDW.

3. Must charge all to Chase CC.

4. Many countries like Italy, costa Rica force you to purchase CDW as standard rental so chase CC does not help because you must decide to get primary Cc coverage.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 2:51 pm

Programs: Virtuoso TA, UA 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Platinum
Since CSP only covers damage to or theft of the vehicle, if there is additional damage (personal, property), what should I do? Call my own insurance at the scene of the accident and then what?

Also, if after a car accident my rental is no longer drivable, what should I do? Do I have the car towed to any shop or to the rental place, and will CSP cover the cost of towing?
Old Feb 18, 2019, 3:33 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
You may find this article helpful:

https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/trav...-a-rental-car/
Old Apr 22, 2019, 10:33 am

Programs: UA MP, Delta Sky Miles, AA Advantage
If I rent a car from a broker (like autoeurope or similar) and CDW is a part of the package deal (along with SLI, theft and etc.) will Chase cover the excess (should something happen to the rental car)?
Old Apr 24, 2019, 11:18 am
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Originally Posted by jason8612
Well it looks like I will be doing my first CDW claim shortly. In South Africa now and a tiny rock popped out of a truck's tire and cracked the windshield - a good 6in crack. I assume that they will notice it.
From what I read here, I should take as many photos as possible (and send 2 or so including one with the plate in it), and argue with the counter to get me an accident report and itemized list on the spot (so I don't need to wait for weeks or months to get it from them later on). It's a windshield so I assume that they already got a price list.
And then I can just send them a screenshot of the chase card that it was charged to, the rental agreement, the accident report, the itemized bill. That should be it. I checked the agreement and everything was declined. (funny enough their super cdw doesn't cover glass or tires and their glass coverage only covers some 350$. It's basically worthless).
Anything else that I am missing?
to update how my experience went:
I filed the claim online and attached all the documents. A few weeks later, they requested the card statement with the original charge and damage. I sent them it. A few weeks pass and they request the original charge again. I send it. this goes back and forth with them requesting documents that I have already submitted. I sent 1 PDF with a table of contents on which pages to find the charges, damage, etc. They sent back that some other document was missing. At that point I got fed up, called and nicely yelled at them as they were not even reading the documents. In 2 days it was approved and a week later I got the check. Took about 3 months from start to finish, but they did reimburse me the full amount.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 3:23 pm

Programs: UA MP, Delta Sky Miles, AA Advantage
Originally Posted by jason8612
to update how my experience went:
I filed the claim online and attached all the documents. A few weeks later, they requested the card statement with the original charge and damage. I sent them it. A few weeks pass and they request the original charge again. I send it. this goes back and forth with them requesting documents that I have already submitted. I sent 1 PDF with a table of contents on which pages to find the charges, damage, etc. They sent back that some other document was missing. At that point I got fed up, called and nicely yelled at them as they were not even reading the documents. In 2 days it was approved and a week later I got the check. Took about 3 months from start to finish, but they did reimburse me the full amount.
You got lucky. I had the same experience (some document was ALWAYS missing no matter how many times I sent it) with one exception: they didn't let me speak directly with the claim adjuster. So, it took me almost a year to get reimbursed. However, it was $2000+ worth of damage accident. I guess, Chase REALLY didn't want to cover that one.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 2:09 pm
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Originally Posted by GREAKLY
You got lucky. I had the same experience (some document was ALWAYS missing no matter how many times I sent it) with one exception: they didn't let me speak directly with the claim adjuster. So, it took me almost a year to get reimbursed. However, it was $2000+ worth of damage accident. I guess, Chase REALLY didn't want to cover that one.
I didn't speak directly with a claims adjuster. But the person I spoke with I guess made the right notes so the adjuster can process it.
Old May 14, 2019, 7:08 am
DSI
formerly declinespecificinformatiom

Anybody know what I'd need to get for Mexico if I book the car with this card? I don't mind them putting a deposit hold on my card, either. Just don't wanna pay absurd insurance rates that ultimately wouldn't be necessary. Thanks!
Old May 14, 2019, 7:49 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
The value of primary coverage by Chase seems to be rather low, judging from posts here. It would seem the Amex Platinum primary coverage (which is optional at a flat fee per rental of $19.95) might be a better option, particularly on longer rentals (i.e., more chances of an accident happening the longer you keep the car)?
Old May 14, 2019, 10:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by fliesdelta
The value of primary coverage by Chase seems to be rather low, judging from posts here. It would seem the Amex Platinum primary coverage (which is optional at a flat fee per rental of $19.95) might be a better option, particularly on longer rentals (i.e., more chances of an accident happening the longer you keep the car)?
AmEx still seems to exclude certain countries from CDW per this PDF. The recent posts here seem to indicate that it takes a while to get paid, though, so there's that. (I have no experience with the Platinum's coverage, so I'm not sure it'll be any better.)
Old May 15, 2019, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by tmiw
AmEx still seems to exclude certain countries from CDW per this PDF. The recent posts here seem to indicate that it takes a while to get paid, though, so there's that. (I have no experience with the Platinum's coverage, so I'm not sure it'll be any better.)
When renting a standard vehicle in a foreign country that Amex does provide coverage for, there's relatively little value in getting the Amex Premium car-rental insurance over the free Amex coverage that many (not all) Amex cards provide.
Old May 16, 2019, 1:24 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Recently had a charge from Avis after the station in Munich discovered a scratch in the mirror after returning it over the weekend while the station was closed. They charged my CSR 198$ for the damage but provided elaborate documentation in pdf format attached to an email. Filed the pdfs I had using the portal. 2-3 business days later I got an email asking for more documentation (rental agreement, breakdown of charges, CSR statement showing the charge for damages etc) which I filed last week, basically making pdf printouts of the emails I received from the damage people at Avis. Yesterday I got an email from eclaims that all is good and that they will pay with a link to a portal where you can pick the form of remittance (check, bank transfer, debit card). I entered my bank details and got an email that the money will come in 3-5 days. ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.