Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

CX WILL interline to other oneworld airlines if travelling on separate PNRs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 12, 2016, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Calchas
As of 1 January 2017, CX will interline on separate tickets to their airline partners once again.

to 31 Dec 2016 CX Agents' advisory http://www.cxagents.com/cxa/gc/en_HK/ln2
from 1 Jan 2017 http://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_H...e-tickets.html

Ausbt article: http://www.ausbt.com.au/cathay-pacif...-baggage-rules
http://www.ausbt.com.au/did-oneworld...of-a-nightmare
http://www.ausbt.com.au/oneworld-air...ecting-flights

AA: will not check through separate PNRs (own or partner) https://ssc.aa.com/prmportal_enu/Age...%20Tickets.pdf
MH: still check through two PNRs (own or partner)
CX/KA: check through CX/KA separate PNRs. Will resume checking through to partners starting 1 Jan 2017 http://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_H...e-tickets.html
JL: Will through check. http://www.jal.co.jp/en/info/inter/161003.html
QR: will check through separate PNRs (own or partner) from 01 MAR. https://www.ausbt.com.au/qatar-airways-ditches-oneworld-s-restrictive-baggage-rules
QF: Will check through QF to QF separate PNRs, will not check through partner separate PNRs (from 1 Sep 2016)
BA: Will not check through partner or other airlines' separate PNRs. WIll not check through BA-BA on seperate PNR's (as of 15 Nov 16)
IB: Will check through IB to IB separate PNRs
LA: will not check through separate PNRs (own or partner)
AY: Will check through AY to AY separate PNRs, will not check through partner separate PNRs
Print Wikipost

CX WILL interline to other oneworld airlines if travelling on separate PNRs

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2018, 1:30 pm

Programs: AS 100K
i'll be traveling SEA-YVR-HKG on AS/CX and then connecting to (separate ticket) HKG-XIY on KA. Traveling without checked bags.

I doubt AS will through-check me all the way to XIY. if that's the case, will CX through check me all the way to XIY if I ask them to do so in the YVR lounge or check-in counter?

I was told I can just get a mobile BP for flights and that should be enough. But i'd like CX to know that i'm on separate tickets just to protect myself from any irrops. I doubt through-check-in on separate tickets can be online, can it?
Old Mar 24, 2018, 12:45 am

Programs: SQ KF GO, OZ GO, QR PC PLAT, TG ROP SL, LCAH SL, IHG SPIRE, Marriott BONVOY GO, HILTON GO
Originally Posted by nort
From the AA forum, it seems AA will interline if it's a AA award + OW paid fares. But not if both are paid fares.
From experience (& also the AA forum which I read much later), AA will not interline if it's a paid AA ticket + OW partner ticket on 2 separate PNR's
(AA from LAX-HKG -> MH from HKG-KUL) but the reverse was easily done at check in in KL Sentral's in-town check in.

Originally Posted by nort
Just wanted to add a data point.
Flew CX award J flight and CX paid Y+ flight on two separate PNR's. They checked the bags through with a smile
I would assume so since it's on the same airline, no?
Old Mar 24, 2018, 12:54 am

Programs: SQ KF GO, OZ GO, QR PC PLAT, TG ROP SL, LCAH SL, IHG SPIRE, Marriott BONVOY GO, HILTON GO
Originally Posted by atcanobbio
I'll be traveling SEA-YVR-HKG on AS/CX and then connecting to (separate ticket) HKG-XIY on KA. Traveling without checked bags.
I doubt AS will through-check me all the way to XIY. if that's the case, will CX through check me all the way to XIY if I ask them to do so in the YVR lounge or check-in counter?
I was told I can just get a mobile BP for flights and that should be enough. But I'd like CX to know that i'm on separate tickets just to protect myself from any irrops. I doubt through-check-in on separate tickets can be online, can it?
I'm not quite sure I understand - what do u mean by through check if u do not have any luggage to check in?
Do u mean to ask the agent to check u in @ SEA for all sectors of your itinerary & issue u all the paper boarding passes?

I'm not familiar with the AS/CX partnership so I'll leave it to someone else to reply.

But I think if u do OLCI for your CX/KA flights on the CX mobile app or website, the airline is aware that you've already checked in.
As for protection for IRROPS, I think there is a pecking order & it starts from CX DM & downwards ...
Old Mar 24, 2018, 1:45 am

Originally Posted by kaffir76
I'm not quite sure I understand - what do u mean by through check if u do not have any luggage to check in?
Do u mean to ask the agent to check u in @ SEA for all sectors of your itinerary & issue u all the paper boarding passes?

I'm not familiar with the AS/CX partnership so I'll leave it to someone else to reply.

But I think if u do OLCI for your CX/KA flights on the CX mobile app or website, the airline is aware that you've already checked in.
As for protection for IRROPS, I think there is a pecking order & it starts from CX DM & downwards ...
CX states on their website that they'll "through-check you and your bags" when flying on CX/KA separate tickets. When they state that they'll "through check you", I think they mean that when I check-in and make them aware that's i'm connecting in HKG on a separate ticket, they'll link(??) my itineraries to make it seem like if it's a single itinerary. So if there's some sort of irrop, the agents in YVR/HKG we'll see that i'm flying YVR-HKG-XIY and i'll be protected to get to XIY.

If I just check in for my XIY flight online, I don't think they'll be any linking between my YVR-HKG and HKG-XIY flights. Yes, the airline will know that I'm checked in for the XIY flight. But if my YVR-HKG leg is severely delayed and I miss the flight to XIY, the agents handling the XIY flight won't see that I'm coming in from YVR. will they?

does that make sense? I hope it does
Old Mar 24, 2018, 3:51 am

CX states on their website that they'll "through-check you and your bags" when flying on CX/KA separate tickets. When they state that they'll "through check you", I think they mean that when I check-in and make them aware that's i'm connecting in HKG on a separate ticket, they'll link(??) my itineraries to make it seem like if it's a single itinerary. So if there's some sort of irrop, the agents in YVR/HKG we'll see that i'm flying YVR-HKG-XIY and i'll be protected to get to XIY.

If I just check in for my XIY flight online, I don't think they'll be any linking between my YVR-HKG and HKG-XIY flights. Yes, the airline will know that I'm checked in for the XIY flight. But if my YVR-HKG leg is severely delayed and I miss the flight to XIY, the agents handling the XIY flight won't see that I'm coming in from YVR. will they?

does that make sense? I hope it does
"through-check you and your bags" basically only means you will get boarding pass for both flights and your luggage tagged all the way to XIY so you don't have to pick up and check in again at HKG, you itineraries will remain separate and in case your flight from YVR is delayed, they might (or might not) accommodate you and put you on a later flight, but you are in no way "protected" since it's still separate tickets and it's entirely up to CX/KA to decide whether they will do that, as a gesture of goodwill.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 5:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by patrickw
"through-check you and your bags" basically only means you will get boarding pass for both flights and your luggage tagged all the way to XIY so you don't have to pick up and check in again at HKG, you itineraries will remain separate and in case your flight from YVR is delayed, they might (or might not) accommodate you and put you on a later flight, but you are in no way "protected" since it's still separate tickets and it's entirely up to CX/KA to decide whether they will do that, as a gesture of goodwill.
That's the clearest answer you can get ^

And generally CX will decide to reroute you on the next available flight in case of irrops. But that is a goodwill gesture, not 100% certain (especially if it is AS ticket) and you should expect other affected pax to get available seats ahead of you.
Your case is a bit complicated because you will first check in at SEA on AS, and might be better to ask on AS forum what they can do. But I doubt that they can do more than issue the HKG-XIY BP.
As you indicated, you might ask in YVR some CX agent to put a note in your second PNR.
There is only one daily CX/KA flight to XIY (and one MU), But you have almost 5 hours connecting time if you are on CX865, so you should have no problem.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by patrickw

Originally Posted by brunos
That's the clearest answer you can get ^

And generally CX will decide to reroute you on the next available flight in case of irrops. But that is a goodwill gesture, not 100% certain (especially if it is AS ticket) and you should expect other affected pax to get available seats ahead of you.
Your case is a bit complicated because you will first check in at SEA on AS, and might be better to ask on AS forum what they can do. But I doubt that they can do more than issue the HKG-XIY BP.
As you indicated, you might ask in YVR some CX agent to put a note in your second PNR.
There is only one daily CX/KA flight to XIY (and one MU), But you have almost 5 hours connecting time if you are on CX865, so you should have no problem.

thanks to both of you for your input. I asked on the As forum and was pretty much told to get an mobile BP for the XIY flight and I should be fine. I arrive on CX889 and depart on KA946. I have a 4.5hr connection in HKG so I think I'll be fine.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
thanks to both of you for your input. I asked on the As forum and was pretty much told to get an mobile BP for the XIY flight and I should be fine. I arrive on CX889 and depart on KA946. I have a 4.5hr connection in HKG so I think I'll be fine.
Just hope that you have padded enough transfer time at YVR. If your AS flight is delayed will accommodate you on a later CX flight to HKG. Maybe less happy to also do it on the separate ticket as it is not their fault (unless the AS flight is CX coded).
You are probably taking AS963 which gives you 2+ hours. I do not envy you. Even if everything goes smooth, you will be quite tired after such a long journey.home-to-hotel.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by brunos
Just hope that you have padded enough transfer time at YVR. If your AS flight is delayed will accommodate you on a later CX flight to HKG. Maybe less happy to also do it on the separate ticket as it is not their fault (unless the AS flight is CX coded).
You are probably taking AS963 which gives you 2+ hours. I do not envy you. Even if everything goes smooth, you will be quite tired after such a long journey.home-to-hotel.
that's correct. I'm on AS963. I think we should be fine. I doubt the transfer in YVR will take that long. We both have NEXUS, so that can help if lines are long. I really hope the AS flight is not delayed. Our other option was flying through SFO but we figured that would have been much more risky with all the delays SFO gets.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 1:19 am

Question: I have an award ticket LAX-HKG-PVG (stopover for few days)- HKG (operated by CX) and HKG-CAN (Operated by KA) on different PNR. Can I check my bags from PVG to CAN? Since two PNRs involved two baggage rules, are they gonna charge me for the second lag? Thank you.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 1:30 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by taiquanxx
Question: I have an award ticket LAX-HKG-PVG (stopover for few days)- HKG (operated by CX) and HKG-CAN (Operated by KA) on different PNR. Can I check my bags from PVG to CAN? Since two PNRs involved two baggage rules, are they gonna charge me for the second lag? Thank you.
You already asked your question here and the best answer you’re likely to get has already been given.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cath...-question.html
ernestnywang likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 4:03 am

Will cx agent at airport express check in 2 separate tickets, CX and then ba?

Actually title says it all. Two separate tickets, CX hkg-dub, then ba dub-lcy.

Will airport express CX agent check through bag?

Thanks.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 4:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by IncyWincy
Actually title says it all. Two separate tickets, CX hkg-dub, then ba dub-lcy.

Will airport express CX agent check through bag?

Thanks.

Hi IncyWincy,

At the Kowloon airport express check in at the end of april the agent checked us in for CX- HKG-LHR then ( on a separate ticket) LHR-EDI on BA and gave us our BA boarding passes with no problems ( just give the agent the BA flight details)

Regards

TBS
Old Jun 9, 2018, 4:57 am

Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi IncyWincy,

At the Kowloon airport express check in at the end of april the agent checked us in for CX- HKG-LHR then ( on a separate ticket) LHR-EDI on BA and gave us our BA boarding passes with no problems ( just give the agent the BA flight details)

Regards

TBS
Thank you!
Old Jun 19, 2018, 2:29 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
I have two separate PNR's for a flight from Los Angeles to Doha on CX and QR. I'm flying LAX-HKG-SIN on CX, booked on a CX award ticket in F. Then I'm flying SIN-DOH on Qatar, booked on a CX award ticket but separate PNR. Normally I would assume that I can check my bag in at LAX and have it checked through to DOH so I don't have to collect and re-check in SIN. However the name on the separate PNR's is slightly different. The QR flight booking has my first and last name only, while the CX flight booking has my first, middle, and last for the traveler name.

Will this cause an issue with them trying to check through since the names are not exactly the same on each reservation?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.