Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

CX WILL interline to other oneworld airlines if travelling on separate PNRs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 12, 2016, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Calchas
As of 1 January 2017, CX will interline on separate tickets to their airline partners once again.

to 31 Dec 2016 CX Agents' advisory http://www.cxagents.com/cxa/gc/en_HK/ln2
from 1 Jan 2017 http://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_H...e-tickets.html

Ausbt article: http://www.ausbt.com.au/cathay-pacif...-baggage-rules
http://www.ausbt.com.au/did-oneworld...of-a-nightmare
http://www.ausbt.com.au/oneworld-air...ecting-flights

AA: will not check through separate PNRs (own or partner) https://ssc.aa.com/prmportal_enu/Age...%20Tickets.pdf
MH: still check through two PNRs (own or partner)
CX/KA: check through CX/KA separate PNRs. Will resume checking through to partners starting 1 Jan 2017 http://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_H...e-tickets.html
JL: Will through check. http://www.jal.co.jp/en/info/inter/161003.html
QR: will check through separate PNRs (own or partner) from 01 MAR. https://www.ausbt.com.au/qatar-airways-ditches-oneworld-s-restrictive-baggage-rules
QF: Will check through QF to QF separate PNRs, will not check through partner separate PNRs (from 1 Sep 2016)
BA: Will not check through partner or other airlines' separate PNRs. WIll not check through BA-BA on seperate PNR's (as of 15 Nov 16)
IB: Will check through IB to IB separate PNRs
LA: will not check through separate PNRs (own or partner)
AY: Will check through AY to AY separate PNRs, will not check through partner separate PNRs
Print Wikipost

CX WILL interline to other oneworld airlines if travelling on separate PNRs

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2016, 9:11 pm

Programs: CX DM (OWE), Accor Gold
Originally Posted by IncyWincy
ermen,

No. According to
http://www.cxagents.com/cxa/gc/en_HK/ln2 (scenario d specifically)
if it is cx/ka they will check through even if two separate tickets/PNRs. So, the policy is YES, check through.
Yes, CX will interline your BAGGAGE on two separate CX/KA tickets.
However, does that mean CX/KA will also be responsible for any flight-losing-connection caused by the previous flight delay ????

IMPO, theoretically, although CX would interline the baggage, airline company has no responsibility to rebook your later flight or even provide you hotel/food compensation when you lose your connection... However, practically, CX would do so... That makes CX a good company
Old Sep 7, 2016, 9:27 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by wyskevin
However, does that mean CX/KA will also be responsible for any flight-losing-connection caused by the previous flight delay ????
Under (d) didn't CX take responsibility for "Disruptions (obligations under IATA Resolution 735d and oneworld Ticketing and Disruptions Document)" (ticked)?
Old Sep 8, 2016, 12:54 am

Originally Posted by ermen
exactly. that's why its practically yes?
anyway its all semantics..
No. Not semantics or just semantics. The fact is that in both theory and practice it is YES. You stated "theoretically no". Hence I corrected you.

People come here to seek correct information and it would be unfair or potentially very troublesome if incorrect information were posted here.
Old Sep 8, 2016, 1:27 am

Programs: LH, PG, BA, SPG, HH
But he may need to argue to get it. I just flew KA trf to CX on two PNR and the check in agent was refusing to through check my luggage. I had to get a supervisor who confirmed that it was allowed and told the check in agent to do it.
Old Sep 8, 2016, 1:44 am

Originally Posted by Lobster
But he may need to argue to get it. I just flew KA trf to CX on two PNR and the check in agent was refusing to through check my luggage. I had to get a supervisor who confirmed that it was allowed and told the check in agent to do it.
This sounds like practical no until the theoretical yes (CX Agent's notice) is stuck into the HKG agents' faces.

Last edited by percysmith; Sep 8, 2016 at 7:28 am
Old Sep 8, 2016, 6:49 am

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
Under the contracts of carriage, CX is under no obligation to through check two separate bookings with 2 PNRs. So if CX flight A incoming is delayed, and you then miss your outbound CX flight B, tough luck. That's the theory.

As a matter of customer service, CX will through check, and take care of you in the event a missed connection that is due to their plane being late. That's the practice.

Now, the litmus test is: if whatever reason CX don't through check, and you miss your connecting flight etc because of collecting baggage or what not, do you have recourse to CX? (thinking out loud, you would run the argument that you booked the CX flights specifically because of their interline policy, but legally speaking the agent's notice would unlikely be seen to be part of the contract (just like seat, IFE etc etc...) - I would be interested to hear your views
Old Sep 8, 2016, 7:27 am

Well ermen, probably not legal obligation as it seems the agent's notice is set unilaterally.

It appears CX has taken the obligation on itself to assume disruptions (IRROPs) liability.

However theoretically may mean what CX regards as a rule rather than what the small claims tribunal with jurisdiction thinks is CX's obligation. In Lobster's case, it seems bringing up CX's "rule" was sufficient to change the mind of the HKG check in agent who thought otherwise.

Last edited by percysmith; Sep 8, 2016 at 7:59 pm
Old Sep 8, 2016, 7:40 am

Programs: LH, PG, BA, SPG, HH
Yes I was flying from an outstation to HKG on KA and then transferring to CX for my onward flight. If my luggage had not been through checked I think I would have had virtually no chance to make my onward flight as I only had a 90 minute layover.

The supervisor immediately said it was fine so he was well aware of the new rules. It is just unfortunate that the check in agent was not and without me pushing would not have checked.
Old Sep 8, 2016, 5:33 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Will CX interline in the following scenario?
PNR 1 - CX NRT-HKG
PNR 2 - CX HKG-KUL then BA KUL-LHR

There's a 3 hour layover in HK then KUL. It sounds like they will interline to KUL under their rules, but is there a chance they will interline to LHR since the second PNR is HKG-LHR via KUL?

PNR 2 is booked through BA but the HKG-KUL leg is on a CX flight number. Ticketed in April.
Old Sep 8, 2016, 6:14 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by heartface
Will CX interline in the following scenario?
PNR 1 - CX NRT-HKG
PNR 2 - CX HKG-KUL then BA KUL-LHR

There's a 3 hour layover in HK then KUL. It sounds like they will interline to KUL under their rules, but is there a chance they will interline to LHR since the second PNR is HKG-LHR via KUL?

PNR 2 is booked through BA but the HKG-KUL leg is on a CX flight number. Ticketed in April.
I believe they will interline because the break in PNRs at HKG is CX to CX. Definitely if it was only HKG-KUL-LHR, then they will check you in the whole way at HKG.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 4:04 am

Programs: BA Gold OWE
Does any one have recent experience with TPE turnarounds since the policy came into effect? It used to be the case that baggage is loaded on the CX/KA HKG-[Final destination] plane and I would do HKG-TPE-HKG with hand carry only. Would be helpful if anyone has any updated information that this would still be the case since the changes came into effect?

Thanks!
Old Nov 7, 2016, 4:12 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by toplayer
Does any one have recent experience with TPE turnarounds since the policy came into effect? It used to be the case that baggage is loaded on the CX/KA HKG-[Final destination] plane and I would do HKG-TPE-HKG with hand carry only. Would be helpful if anyone has any updated information that this would still be the case since the changes came into effect?
This is not relevant to this thread.

Even if they don't, just pay $100 or whatever to store your luggage in HKG and re-check it when you get back. You are leaving ample time for irrops, aren't you?
Old Nov 7, 2016, 8:05 am

Programs: CX DM, SPG Pt, Le Club Accor GO, Shangri-La GC Jade
Originally Posted by :D!
This is not relevant to this thread.

Even if they don't, just pay $100 or whatever to store your luggage in HKG and re-check it when you get back. You are leaving ample time for irrops, aren't you?
No... I think you mis-understood his meaning....

I gues toplayer means.... Say ticket 1 is HKG-TPE-HKG and ticket 2 is TPE-HKG-JFK-HKG-TPE

So on returning from JFK, without wasting any leg, would be flying JFK-HKG-TPE (ticket 2) - HKG (ticket 1)

So if short check is not ok and check through from ticket 2 to ticket 1 is not ok, then toplayer needs to get through custom in TPE and get the luggage and check in again....

BTW since CX technically will check through CX/KA-CX/KA even it's under different PNR so you should be fine

I wrote "technically" because for whatever reason I've personally experienced few times that outport check-in desk failed to check in my another booking even though they can see it in the system...
Old Nov 7, 2016, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sscywong
No... I think you mis-understood his meaning....

I gues toplayer means.... Say ticket 1 is HKG-TPE-HKG and ticket 2 is TPE-HKG-JFK-HKG-TPE

So on returning from JFK, without wasting any leg, would be flying JFK-HKG-TPE (ticket 2) - HKG (ticket 1)

So if short check is not ok and check through from ticket 2 to ticket 1 is not ok, then toplayer needs to get through custom in TPE and get the luggage and check in again....

BTW since CX technically will check through CX/KA-CX/KA even it's under different PNR so you should be fine

I wrote "technically" because for whatever reason I've personally experienced few times that outport check-in desk failed to check in my another booking even though they can see it in the system...
If you are saying the intention is to check as HKG-TPE-HKG-JFK this is not, to my knowledge, technically possible because doubling back through the same airport will not be permitted by the baggage system. If the pax wants to check bags in for the HKG-JFK from HKG before flying the HKG-TPE-HKG sectors and then joining the HKG-JFK flight with the bags already on it, that's a different matter.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 9:29 pm

Programs: BA Gold OWE
Originally Posted by Calchas
If you are saying the intention is to check as HKG-TPE-HKG-JFK this is not, to my knowledge, technically possible because doubling back through the same airport will not be permitted by the baggage system. If the pax wants to check bags in for the HKG-JFK from HKG before flying the HKG-TPE-HKG sectors and then joining the HKG-JFK flight with the bags already on it, that's a different matter.
Yes this was what I was getting at - the 1st HKG-TPE leg on a separate ticket from the TPE-HKG-XXX legs. If it is not possible to have baggage tags to double back then this must mean no change in policy from before. Thanks Calchas and sscywong.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.