Wiki Posts
Search

Baggage Allowance Question

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2018, 8:54 pm
Original Poster

Baggage Allowance Question

Route: LAX-HKG-PVG (Stopover for 4 days)-HKG-CAN
I believe the baggage allowance for PVG-HKG is following the one from NA, which is 2 piece. Am I correct?
However, the sector HKG-CAN is on different PNR (BA Award ticket), can I check my baggage from PVG to CAN and still apply the 2 piece baggage allowance? Thank you.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 5:41 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by taiquanxx
Route: LAX-HKG-PVG (Stopover for 4 days)-HKG-CAN
I believe the baggage allowance for PVG-HKG is following the one from NA, which is 2 piece. Am I correct?
However, the sector HKG-CAN is on different PNR (BA Award ticket), can I check my baggage from PVG to CAN and still apply the 2 piece baggage allowance? Thank you.
I *think* CX will let you check 2pc for free, but please understand that CX is allowed to charge you excess bag fee for HKG-CAN.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 2:05 am

Okay, if this is an award ticket redeemed from Asia Miles, check the bag allowance. AM tends to make mistakes and they might put weight concept on your PVG-HKG sector.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 9:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ernestnywang
I *think* CX will let you check 2pc for free, but please understand that CX is allowed to charge you excess bag fee for HKG-CAN.

Thanks for the answer! Found a pic here. According to this, the second sector should follow the first one?
Old Apr 29, 2018, 10:16 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Under US law, the second sector is the same as the first. To be clear: the baggage allowance for the marketing carrier of the first segment is the baggage allowance for all segments of that ticket (note: ticket, not PNR). Thus, LAX-PVG (whether HKG is a connection or stopover) is the same baggage allowance.

PVG-CAN is a separate ticket four days later. The allowance for that ticket is whatever the published allowance is for that separate ticket.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 2:12 pm

Thanks for the answer! Found a pic here. According to this, the second sector should follow the first one?
I believe it only talks about being able to through check you. This does not give you the right to carry over your baggage allowance from one ticket to another, although as mentioned I believe CX will let you do that.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
Under US law, the second sector is the same as the first. To be clear: the baggage allowance for the marketing carrier of the first segment is the baggage allowance for all segments of that ticket (note: ticket, not PNR). Thus, LAX-PVG (whether HKG is a connection or stopover) is the same baggage allowance.

PVG-CAN is a separate ticket four days later. The allowance for that ticket is whatever the published allowance is for that separate ticket.
I believe OP has LAX-HKG-PVG-HKG in one ticket and HKG-CAN on another. PVG-HKG should still be 2pc, but if it were an Asia Miles redeemed ticket, AM sometimes mess things up (AM's mistake). Revenue tickets issued from autoprice record should correctly reflect 2pc on PVG-HKG. HKG-CAN, if were issued as a standalone ticket, would follow the weight concept.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 6:00 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
I agree with ernestnywang. As HKG-CAN is on a separate itinerary & ticket, the weight concept should apply for free allowance. However, CX/KA will likely apply the piece concept on the interline.

Having said that, I am not 100% sure that China allows interlining from a flight departing China and to one returning to China.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 10:01 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the help!!!!
Old Apr 29, 2018, 10:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cxfan1960
I agree with ernestnywang. As HKG-CAN is on a separate itinerary & ticket, the weight concept should apply for free allowance. However, CX/KA will likely apply the piece concept on the interline.

Having said that, I am not 100% sure that China allows interlining from a flight departing China and to one returning to China.
You just remind me and I have to change my route now. And no more baggage problems to worried.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.