Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

British Airways and American Airlines Chelsea Lounge - JFK Terminal 8

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 5, 2024, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
For the latest updates and discussion related to the champagnes on offer, please visit the sister thread linked below
JFK Chelsea Lounge | la mise à jour du champagne
Print Wikipost

British Airways and American Airlines Chelsea Lounge - JFK Terminal 8

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2022, 3:55 pm

Programs: BA GGLfL, WoH Lifetime Globalist, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Whereas here:

https://www.britishairways.com/en-us.../lounge-access

the following are the Chelsea Lounge access rules:

Doc Copper
Silly19 likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2022, 5:17 pm

Has anyone been in the lounge for breakfast? I'm on the red-eye from SFO and would enjoy a nice breakfast before heading into NYC. I remember the breakfasts when it was FFD a few years ago. Very good, but the bagels were mediocre considering this in NY.
Old Dec 12, 2022, 5:43 pm

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
So the lounge doesn't live up to anything that was promised and promoted, but to make up for it, they deny people access who, by their own published rules, should have access (GGL on any BA or AA flight).

Got it.

Great job, BA...
Old Dec 12, 2022, 7:50 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Originally Posted by headinclouds
Has anyone been in the lounge for breakfast? I'm on the red-eye from SFO and would enjoy a nice breakfast before heading into NYC. I remember the breakfasts when it was FFD a few years ago. Very good, but the bagels were mediocre considering this in NY.
Menu here. Haven't been to Chelsea but went to FFD in Sept and it was great. Just remember no booze 4am-8am.
Old Dec 12, 2022, 8:25 pm

Programs: BA GGL, CCR; RyanAir MillionMiler :( ;
Flagship First, access on arrival : Datapoint

Yep, arrived 3hours late with a First boarding pass from lax, and offered my GGL card, which wasnt needed. "Welcome sir". No more than 10 people here. Service a bit slow, but the lovely lady from CCR 7 is here and is wonderfully friendly. PS not flying back to London until tomorrow night, in J. So opportunity for another data point. No steak, but offered LPGS at dining table.
Old Dec 13, 2022, 1:26 am

Programs: BA GGL, GfL, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, AllAccor Diamond, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by BlooJoo
I think they just need to live with the fact that it’s an interior space, fix the catering and turn down the lights.
strongly disagree with this. I’m a big believer in correcting your mistakes in life, rather than surrendering to them. This is their flagship space in the USA. They need to get it right.
Old Dec 13, 2022, 2:53 am

Programs: BA Executive Club and OnBusiness
I just don't understand why this is so difficult for AA/BA to remedy

They both ran decent quality first class lounges at JFK prior to this, with AA doing it within a few hundred meters of the new lounge. Flagship Dining and CCR both offered a decent menu, a reasonable bar, and reasonable service levels

Someone was in charge of creating the Chelsea Room. Someone is responsible for its operation. In both cases this will be someone who does this for a living and must have experience i.e. a professional

And yet two weeks after opening this sh*tshow is offering burgers and fish and chips and whatever random champagne they have lying around. And they don't even know who is eligible to enter the lounge (clue: you have one job to do.....)

Is no-one accountable? Why bother with a bespoke chandelier if you don't care about the catering or staffing levels? Why can't someone order a decent supply of food and drink so that it doesn't run out every day? If you order 100 burgers then order 100 rolls.

Did they forget everything they knew about operating an airport lounge and installed people who have never done it before so they can learn on the job, using a first class lounge at a key hub as their classroom?

Rule number one - don't make it worse than what you're replacing. Epic fail

Seriously - how is this possible?
Old Dec 13, 2022, 4:02 am

Programs: BA GGL, GfL, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, AllAccor Diamond, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by Ned1968

They both ran decent quality first class lounges at JFK prior to this, with AA doing it within a few hundred meters of the new lounge. Flagship Dining and CCR both offered a decent menu, a reasonable bar, and reasonable service levels

Someone was in charge of creating the Chelsea Room. Someone is responsible for its operation. In both cases this will be someone who does this for a living and must have experience i.e. a professional

And yet two weeks after opening this sh*tshow is offering burgers and fish and chips and whatever random champagne they have lying around. And they don't even know who is eligible to enter the lounge (clue: you have one job to do.....)

Is no-one accountable? Why bother with a bespoke chandelier if you don't care about the catering or staffing levels? Why can't someone order a decent supply of food and drink so that it doesn't run out every day? If you order 100 burgers then order 100 rolls.

Did they forget everything they knew about operating an airport lounge and installed people who have never done it before so they can learn on the job, using a first class lounge at a key hub as their classroom?

Amen to all of this. Very well put.

”if you order a 100 burgers, order a 100 rolls” could be one of those great Chinese proverbs that we can tell our grandchildren in years ahead.
Old Dec 13, 2022, 4:16 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond

I entirely agree.

My suspicion on the usual dysfunctional BA way of doing things is there is nobody to fire because there was no one person who was in charge of all the planning and opening of the lounges. It's the old saying isn't it, when everyone is responsible, no one is responsible.
EuropeanPete, AdBoy, bafan and 1 others like this.
Old Dec 13, 2022, 6:12 am

Originally Posted by Silly19
Data point. Turned away from Chelsea on an AA Transcon J as GGL. Obviously the BA app didn’t want to work to show my card.
Mmm. That's me this weekend (Transcon J GGL). Maybe I print out the BA GGL page, and take my physical GGL card.
seanp7 and EuropeanPete like this.
Old Dec 13, 2022, 7:15 am
Suspended

Programs: AA: CK
Originally Posted by HFHFFlyer
strongly disagree with this. I’m a big believer in correcting your mistakes in life, rather than surrendering to them. This is their flagship space in the USA. They need to get it right.
They don't need mass construction to get it right.

This "someone", I wonder if it's either of the people that were responsible for the CCR or FFD. I suspect it's not, based on the mess we have.

Originally Posted by seanp7
Menu here. Haven't been to Chelsea but went to FFD in Sept and it was great. Just remember no booze 4am-8am.
LOL that "All Day" menu has the steak and sole, nothing there can be trusted anymore.

Last edited by Prospero; Dec 20, 2022 at 1:07 pm Reason: combine consecutive posts
Old Dec 13, 2022, 7:59 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
2 weeks is a long time in the airline industry. The steak has become burger and chips, the vintage champagne is something sparkling (but not water) and the entry criteria are different to those advertised.
seanp7 likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2022, 8:49 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold

This is VERY well said. Bravo.

With the preview/opening/Champagne List etc, I (like many others?) was excited, and actually going out of my way to book BA F to at least try this out and/or make it a staple. Now? I have no desire to visit in its current state.

They'll say "supply chain issues" and "training" for a while, and then hopefully address it ala the LHR Galleries F buffet "Slop-gate" saga from years ago.

A great thing would be to get it right, get feedback, improve it again - and then send out an apology and one-time guest pass for the top tiers to show they are confident issues have been addressed (I know, I'm dreaming).
Old Dec 13, 2022, 9:02 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
2 weeks is a long time in the airline industry. The steak has become burger and chips, the vintage champagne is something sparkling (but not water) and the entry criteria are different to those advertised.
Wait...there is no sparkling water?
Old Dec 13, 2022, 9:08 am

Programs: BAEC (GGL)
Just had this response from the GGL team regarding Chelsea access:

"I'm sorry to report that the access has changed and what you were advised is correct.
Gold Guest List members can only access the Chelsea Lounge when travelling either on a BA flight or any AA long haul service. Access to both Soho and Greenwich Lounges are both options when not travelling on the above.
I have fed this back to all the GGL team so were all aware of this change to access requirements. BA.com will be updated to reflect this in due course. I appreciate this isn't the outcome expected but rest assured this will be under review as we settle into life in the new shared space with AA."

So this seems to be aligned with CK access now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.