Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

British Airways and American Airlines Chelsea Lounge - JFK Terminal 8

Old Jan 5, 2024, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
For the latest updates and discussion related to the champagnes on offer, please visit the sister thread linked below
JFK Chelsea Lounge | la mise ŗ jour du champagne
Print Wikipost

British Airways and American Airlines Chelsea Lounge - JFK Terminal 8

Old Dec 17, 2022, 1:06 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, BA GGL/CCR,/GFL, A3 Gold, JBU Mosaic, ITA Executive, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by ijgordon
On the Krug - does seem like thereís quite possibly a shortage of it in New York. I was just doing some pre-NYE reconnaissance and of four reputable wine stores in Manhattan, only one has the NV available, and itís $290/bottle.
That said, I havenít bought any champagne at street retail in a while, the prices across the board seem to have gone a bit bonkers. Lanson is like $60! LPGS, which 5-10 years ago I could regularly get for $125 (+ sales tax) is almost twice that! Was recently at Taittinger in Reims and they were selling the 2012 Comtes de Chanpagne for Ä210 which I thought was quite high (I was getting earlier vintages for ~$160 a few years ago). Nope, that was $230 (not much of a bargain at the House).
So all the duty free prices Iíve been seeing recently (at LHR and CDG), which to me generally seemed to not be much of a discount, are in fact good deals vs where prices have gone recently. Yikes. But perhaps itís just a seasonal spike.

May just stick with Prosecco or a Cremant.
Bought two cases at Acker for less than that about 8 days ago-you might want to check with them. But yes, there is some shortage
Old Dec 17, 2022, 1:46 pm
Suspended

If you didn't know the history of CCR/Chelsea and you were presented with it you would think this is an up-market Business/Silver Card lounge. ... what went through the minds of AA/BA unless they were solely thinking: what can we do with the space we have been given? I'm quite pissed off with it all.
IkarosBOS and ryanbriar like this.
Old Dec 17, 2022, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by LHRJFK
I am now going to book AA from JFK to LDN and BA from LDN to JFK. I always walk with my feet.
How is that going to help?! It's the same lounge.
alexwuk, aks120, ExpatExp and 3 others like this.
Old Dec 17, 2022, 2:27 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Originally Posted by ijgordon
On the Krug - does seem like thereís quite possibly a shortage of it in New York. I was just doing some pre-NYE reconnaissance and of four reputable wine stores in Manhattan, only one has the NV available, and itís $290/bottle.
Possibly. Itís $229 and freely available at my local (midtown west). Youíre right about LPGS, though - it has doubled.
Old Dec 17, 2022, 3:15 pm

Programs: Lost everything during the pandemic, and no more flying to HKG every six weeks (!) so back to AA LTG
Notwithstanding the state of the lounges, does anyone know what the guest policy is for Chelsea? AA’s web site is clear that if you are flying flagship first that you can bring a guest. What if I am flying BA first? BA’s site say’s nothing about guests. Not flying for a few weeks, so hoping they can make some progress before then.
Old Dec 17, 2022, 3:19 pm

Programs: UA *G, BA Silver
Originally Posted by BlooJoo
My guess is this staffer was thinking about the old FFD entry requirements, which were AA only (and CX for a time.) Not that that is any excuse, but that's probably where it comes from.
I think they have high staff turnover, and very little training.

At the old FFD in November I arrived from SFO in F on an AA ticket and was first denied access to the Flagship Lounge and then after that was sorted I realised that I still had to argue for FFD access. The agent's response when they realised their mistake was "Oh, I didn't know SFO counted as well, I thought it was just LAX"
madmanshoney likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2022, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IkarosBOS
Bought two cases at Acker for less than that about 8 days ago-you might want to check with them. But yes, there is some shortage
Acker was one I checked, online anyway. No NV but plenty of vintage/rose, etc.
Sherry-Lehmann had squat.
Old Dec 17, 2022, 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by Genius1
How is that going to help?! It's the same lounge.
And the same business, money going to (roughly) the same place.
PGberkshire likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2022, 8:39 pm

I fly F transatlantic with BA on average every 3 weeks. I am now going to book AA from JFK to LDN and BA from LDN to JFK. I always walk with my feet.
BA and AA have a transatlantic revenue sharing agreement. Doesn't matter if you fly with AA or BA - It all goes into the same pot and the spoils are then divided.
Old Dec 17, 2022, 8:50 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, BA GGL/CCR,/GFL, A3 Gold, JBU Mosaic, ITA Executive, HHonors Diamond
Chelsea lounge at 2130 tonight
almost empty, quiet, almost cozy, great staff, no Krug, no LPGS, but La Grand Dame popped out ! 🤷‍♂️
Old Dec 18, 2022, 8:19 am

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
I am now going to book AA from JFK to LDN and BA from LDN to JFK. I always walk with my feet.
Yes, a bit of walking may be required, I'm afraid! LDN isn't served by either AA or BA at the moment.
adrianjc32 and LCSinTexas like this.
Old Dec 18, 2022, 9:24 am

Programs: AA 1MM CK, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador (RIP SPG), BAEC Gold
almost empty, quiet, almost cozy, great staff, no Krug, no LPGS, but La Grand Dame popped out ! 🤷‍♂️
Going to have to start a challenge ó predict the rotating champagne on offer for a given evening Winner gets a glass of Gruet.
Old Dec 18, 2022, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Sounds great. How was the view and the steak?
Old Dec 18, 2022, 10:41 am
Suspended

Programs: AA: CK
Originally Posted by genius1
sounds great. How was the view and the steak?
lol ❤️
Old Dec 18, 2022, 12:01 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Tried out Chelsea this morning before taking the daytime JFK-LHR for the first time in a jetlag avoidance attempt.

I think at this point my expectations had been managed so well by everyone here that I was almost content with it! My first reaction after being let in (and proving GGL with my card) was that it really doesn’t look that bad and that everyone here is being a little dramatic. Yes the lights could be a little dimmer, and there are some office-like sections, but it’s fairly comfortable.

The breakfast menu seemed fine but unimaginative (and they have it all available!). I didn’t drink so I didn't have to suffer that disappointment. My guess is that while they’ll (hopefully) sort out the supply chain issues they’re not going to change the lounge dťcor much. It’s passable.

But then I went into Soho. It had all of the same breakfast options available (smoked salmon, berries, yoghourts etc). And it felt more spacious and welcoming because of the natural light and the layout in general. There seems no reason to go to Chelsea.

And then I started to think back to my visits to FFD. I’d never choose to sit in the main flagship lounge versus FFD. Just like I’d never choose GF over the CCR at LHR. There’s better drink, better atmosphere, better food.

While ‘passable’ was my initial reaction, once I actually thought about it I realised how low my expectations had been conditioned. It really is a disappointment and downgrade. I imagine that view will only be cemented when I do an evening flight out in Jan.
Genius1, wrp96, haroon145 and 6 others like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.