Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

British Airways and American Airlines Chelsea Lounge - JFK Terminal 8

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 5, 2024, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
For the latest updates and discussion related to the champagnes on offer, please visit the sister thread linked below
JFK Chelsea Lounge | la mise à jour du champagne
Print Wikipost

British Airways and American Airlines Chelsea Lounge - JFK Terminal 8

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2022, 9:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by BlooJoo
Thanks again. Good lord, just make it reciprocal: Unless you’re in F, it’s longhaul/Flagship only. Or make it all flights. For both GGL/CK. So simple. I imagine the latter is too many people, so I’d say the former makes more sense.
For AA CK, at least the rules are clear here: https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...um-lounges.jsp
From the link, I also realized that AA CK could also access the lounges when flying Economy on a route like JFK-MIA-LAX or JFK-DFW-KOA which apparently the unwritten BA GGL rule imposed by the agents says "no access on domestic at all".

Old Dec 16, 2022, 9:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA: CK
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
For AA CK, at least the rules are clear here: https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...um-lounges.jsp
From the link, I also realized that AA CK could also access the lounges when flying Economy on a route like JFK-MIA-LAX or JFK-DFW-KOA which apparently the unwritten BA GGL rule imposed by the agents says "no access on domestic at all".

Yup. It’s clear. Now do the same for GGL, and call it a day.
ISTFlyer likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2022, 10:15 pm

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
What are you going to do? Call the NYPD?
Show them the website and demand to talk to a supervisor.
Old Dec 16, 2022, 11:44 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt 5+ Badge

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Mucci des Salons Ouvrants
I was looking forward to visiting these new lounges next week - now I wish I had just flown direct to LAX!

aks120
Markie and Gastrocnemius like this.
Old Dec 17, 2022, 1:09 am

Programs: BA GGL & CCR, GFL
Given it’s said to be so terrible inside, why are people so desperate to access it?
bafan, haroon145 and dca100 like this.
Old Dec 17, 2022, 1:41 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Originally Posted by AdBoy
Given it’s said to be so terrible inside, why are people so desperate to access it?
For the same reason as everyone slows down going past a car crash.
Old Dec 17, 2022, 1:45 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
We should not conflate the two issues, we are trying to firmly establish rights of entry and at the same time review the clearly subpar proposition.
Old Dec 17, 2022, 1:58 am

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
Amazing that AA and BA still have not sorted this out. That said, the Chelsea lounge sounds so sub par that I’m just going to fly J on my next NYC-LON flight and will try out/enjoy the Soho.
Markie, haroon145, dca100 and 1 others like this.
Old Dec 17, 2022, 10:34 am

Programs: AA 1MM CK, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador (RIP SPG), BAEC Gold
Thanks again. Good lord, just make it reciprocal: Unless you’re in F, it’s longhaul/Flagship only. Or make it all flights. For both GGL/CK. So simple. I imagine the latter is too many people, so I’d say the former makes more sense.
Somewhat reminds me when Bonvoy was created and they originally made all legacy Marriott members LT titaniums and SPG members LT platinums. Half-baked and not consistent. My view - establish clear-cut rules and consistently apply them. It truly is fascinating that this wasn’t hashed out.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2022, 11:19 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Gold, Radisson Gold, Amex Platinum
I don't quite understand the irkness of this for the GGLs, this is never something you had, a top level lounge on AA Domestic (barely a lounge at all if flying Flagship from SFO), so why so angry about "losing" a benefit you never had? It seems as if the annoyance is with some out of date documentation on the BA website.

And also, it doesn't sound like it was a benefit worth having, given the crappy Chelsea lounge now...
Old Dec 17, 2022, 11:25 am

Programs: BA GGL - maybe only briefly!
So what about connecting in JFK as part of an international itinerary - say LHR-JFK-LHR? (as opposed to a standalone JFK-LAX).
Old Dec 17, 2022, 11:31 am

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
The food is terrible, and such small portions!

It seems like there are certainly teething issues regarding access which should have been resolved before the move. I would imagine those will be resolved and settled in due time, although that's not much comfort to people flying now. Leaving AA/BA permanently as a result seems bizarre to me - if you're upset about access or quality of offerings in the various BA lounges, I'm not sure you're going to be impressed with the VS lounge!
dca100 and Fitruss like this.
Old Dec 17, 2022, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

On the Krug - does seem like there’s quite possibly a shortage of it in New York. I was just doing some pre-NYE reconnaissance and of four reputable wine stores in Manhattan, only one has the NV available, and it’s $290/bottle.
That said, I haven’t bought any champagne at street retail in a while, the prices across the board seem to have gone a bit bonkers. Lanson is like $60! LPGS, which 5-10 years ago I could regularly get for $125 (+ sales tax) is almost twice that! Was recently at Taittinger in Reims and they were selling the 2012 Comtes de Chanpagne for €210 which I thought was quite high (I was getting earlier vintages for ~$160 a few years ago). Nope, that was $230 (not much of a bargain at the House).
So all the duty free prices I’ve been seeing recently (at LHR and CDG), which to me generally seemed to not be much of a discount, are in fact good deals vs where prices have gone recently. Yikes. But perhaps it’s just a seasonal spike.

May just stick with Prosecco or a Cremant.
dca100 likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2022, 12:13 pm
Suspended

The Chelsea Lounge last Friday was a great disappointment. Susan & Michael remain excellent however. The bar team were jovial and positive.

Chelsea is a big step down for BA vs JFK CCR and a small step up for AA. It is too small (it is not overcrowded - it is just too small!!!). The food list is like going to a mediocre restaurant in Wimbledon whereas JFK CCR was highbrow Guinea Grill style.

I fly F transatlantic with BA on average every 3 weeks. I am now going to book AA from JFK to LDN and BA from LDN to JFK. I always walk with my feet.

This opens up an opportunity for a new airline to grab the F passengers, if they can get the slots and space. Still, it doesn't take much space it seems......

EDIT: They had no Krug. Quelle suprise.
Old Dec 17, 2022, 12:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA: CK
Originally Posted by LHRJFK
The Chelsea Lounge last Friday was a great disappointment. Susan & Michael remain excellent however. The bar team were jovial and positive.

Chelsea is a big step down for BA vs JFK CCR and a small step up for AA. It is too small (it is not overcrowded - it is just too small!!!). The food list is like going to a mediocre restaurant in Wimbledon whereas JFK CCR was highbrow Guinea Grill style.

I fly F transatlantic with BA on average every 3 weeks. I am now going to book AA from JFK to LDN and BA from LDN to JFK. I always walk with my feet.

This opens up an opportunity for a new airline to grab the F passengers, if they can get the slots and space. Still, it doesn't take much space it seems......

EDIT: They had no Krug. Quelle suprise.
It’s not a step up for AA F pax, FFD was way better. It is a small step up for CK on non-F itineraries.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.