Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bangkok 2022

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2022, 4:16 am
formerly JackDann

Originally Posted by GSTBD
Do we know if BKK will ever return? It will be a great loss to the network if it does not, and there is a lot of history on the BA9/10 route. I’m very surprised it will not come back this winter as there are only a handful of open markets to the east so it is a shame to lose an open one.
The choice to SE Asia doesn't appear to be there as it was years back either. I had no plans to fly BA unless they put CS on the route anyway, which was never going to happen. Not really sure what i'll do in January at this rate, prices are all insane.
Old Jul 15, 2022, 4:21 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Onyx Platinum
Originally Posted by drkaboobi
As another data point, I spoke with BAEC on yesterday. I was through to someone in <3 mins via the Gold dedicated number. The rep I spoke to was particularly nice and helpful and looked at various policies and spoke with a duty manager.
They are now emailing and rebooking customers up to end September. The directive is to rebook onto Qatar applicable to both revenue and Avios fares.
In my circumstance, with a trip planned for Feb '22, she said that her system had the markers that the flight was cancelled, but not the marker to rebook. She confirmed they were working through by chronological priority and that likely by October my rebooking could be processed. The flexibility on their rebooking is T-3 Days to T+14 days and a change of origin or destination of c. 350 miles, but added there was some discretion around the latter. It will benefit me to return from Phuket (420 miles) rather than BKK, so I'd be confident they'll approve this.
We had this predicament last January BKK return. When rebooked on QR I asked the really helpful Gold agent if we could return from HKT and he replied 'of course'!
Old Jul 15, 2022, 4:37 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Onyx Platinum
Originally Posted by JackDann
The choice to SE Asia doesn't appear to be there as it was years back either. I had no plans to fly BA unless they put CS on the route anyway, which was never going to happen. Not really sure what i'll do in January at this rate, prices are all insane.
I concur Jack.

I have a voucher from MH that will expire soon, so yesterday I checked the MH website (bloody hard work) to see if we could route through KUL. The prices are rediculous for this November and Jan / Feb too.
QR (World Cup) are crazy so our November trip is Finnair at a very sensible price.
I can't see us ever using good old BA9/10 if it ever returns. Even though we had the oldest 777s it was my favourite flight. Direction, destination and flight time. I never understood the why folk here didn't like the timings.
Old Jul 15, 2022, 5:48 am

Programs: BAEC Silver/OW Sapphire
Originally Posted by drkaboobi
As another data point, I spoke with BAEC on yesterday. I was through to someone in <3 mins via the Gold dedicated number. The rep I spoke to was particularly nice and helpful and looked at various policies and spoke with a duty manager.
They are now emailing and rebooking customers up to end September.
September? IIRC the route was never on sale before the start of NW22. At least things are now moving and my October booking isn’t too far off being addressed.
Old Jul 17, 2022, 1:16 pm

Programs: BA Gold GUF Thai Airways Royal Orchid
I absolutely loved the BA9/10 when it was a 747 on night routes.
Decent food in the lounge with a few glasses of vino then onto the flight with a glass of bubbles & a request for a hot chocolate & a glass of port then the head down for a decent 7-8 hrs straight upstairs in A/K then breakfast.
BKK-LHR meant that I would turn up to a central London meeting before 8am refreshed & good to go with my hand luggage in the corner which always got noticed & they would ask where I had come from.
The silence after my reply was an excellent bargaining tool as it seemed that I appeared ready not to any pull punches.
Longhaul overnight flights in club or above is the only way that I really enjoy travelling.
Old Jul 17, 2022, 1:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold. Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Nightbus to Dalson
Decent food in the lounge with a few glasses of vino then onto the flight with a glass of bubbles & a request for a hot chocolate & a glass of port then the head down for a decent 7-8 hrs straight upstairs in A/K then breakfast.
BKK-LHR meant that I would turn up to a central London meeting before 8am refreshed & good to go with my hand luggage in the corner which always got noticed & they would ask where I had come from.
The silence after my reply was an excellent bargaining tool as it seemed that I appeared ready not to any pull punches.
Longhaul overnight flights in club or above is the only way that I really enjoy travelling.
Couldn’t agree more. It was our first experience of a BA Amex 241, our first Avios trip and our first visit to Thailand as a surprise trip for my partner’s 40th back in 2013 and in first class too on the gorgeous 747, complete with a flower in the loo and a window too. We will never ever forget that trip (Orient Express from Bangkok to Singapore, a stay in Raffles and then onto HK) and we’ve been back to Thailand many times since having fallen in love with the place but only ever on the 777’s in Club. It’s still a delight of course, despite all the bad press for old Club but those were definitely the days and the very beginning of our Avios fuelled travels and for which we count ourselves very lucky indeed. Massive thanks to FT, Rob Burgess and all the bloggers for opening our eyes.
Ells and Will100 like this.
Old Jul 17, 2022, 2:32 pm
formerly JackDann

Originally Posted by PlaneSpeaking
Couldn’t agree more. It was our first experience of a BA Amex 241, our first Avios trip and our first visit to Thailand as a surprise trip for my partner’s 40th back in 2013 and in first class too on the gorgeous 747, complete with a flower in the loo and a window too. We will never ever forget that trip (Orient Express from Bangkok to Singapore, a stay in Raffles and then onto HK) and we’ve been back to Thailand many times since having fallen in love with the place but only ever on the 777’s in Club. It’s still a delight of course, despite all the bad press for old Club but those were definitely the days and the very beginning of our Avios fuelled travels and for which we count ourselves very lucky indeed. Massive thanks to FT, Rob Burgess and all the bloggers for opening our eyes.
A 241 to BKK was coming up at £800 each for January. In January just gone I paid £3,000 each for First Class return to SIN. I kept my my Avios and it was a much better trip (Granted I got moved to QR).

But for me over a grand and a shed load of Avios for the old CW just isn’t worth it. The only problem I now have is that I have no chance of getting that £3,000 F fare again. I’m thinking to pay cash on QR J and then maybe upgrade using Avios.

Last edited by JD1905; Jul 17, 2022 at 2:38 pm
Old Jul 17, 2022, 3:02 pm

Programs: VS FC Gold, BA EC Gold, Amex Centurion, EK Gold, ex-G-ATVK driver
Originally Posted by Nightbus to Dalson
Yes, I haven't flown BA on that route since the withdrawal of the overnight and F.

QR, EK, LH and LX have instead enjoyed my custom.
Nightbus to Dalson likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2022, 11:30 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
just received the cancellation emails for December 2022....got through on Gold line immediately to try to rebook...was told by the CSA who had spoken to the Duty Manager that rebooking options only currently available up until 29th October 2022.
Will sit tight for now in the hope that the policy changes.

Last edited by earlscourtflyer; Jul 19, 2022 at 11:38 am
Old Jul 19, 2022, 11:36 am

Originally Posted by earlscourtflyer
just received the cancellation emails for December 2022.
Yup, me too. I assume there's nothing we can do online, so we have to phone in and see what's available?
Old Jul 19, 2022, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by marble
Yup, me too. I assume there's nothing we can do online, so we have to phone in and see what's available?
just edited my initial post with an update
Old Jul 19, 2022, 11:41 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

I have a horrible feeling the route suspension is permanent

https://londonairtravel.com/2022/07/...ok/#more-35409

The route was due to return on a winter seasonal basis from Sunday 30 October 2022. It is now suspended. This was expected as flights had been taken off sale in advance of the route being cancelled.

This brings to an end almost 85 years of passenger flights to Bangkok, dating back to BA’s predecessor airline Imperial Airways.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2022, 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by earlscourtflyer
just edited my initial post with an update
That's weird. So the flight is cancelled but they won't rebook us? If they're booking up to end of October, then they're booking up to 4 months ahead. For December, that means we need to wait until the start of September to rebook?
Old Jul 19, 2022, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by marble
That's weird. So the flight is cancelled but they won't rebook us? If they're booking up to end of October, then they're booking up to 4 months ahead. For December, that means we nee d to wait until the start of September to rebook?
I'm assuming/hoping that BA haven't updated their policies yet as 29th October is the end of the summer timetable so would be the rebooking option for all the previous cancellations prior to Winter 2022.
As a further point. I was told for avios bookings that I class fares needed to be available for rebookings onto Qatar flights!
Old Jul 19, 2022, 12:12 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Unless something weird is going on, usually rebook on to QR should be same selling class or lowest available selling class in the cabin.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.