Wiki Posts
Search

Bangkok 2022

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2022, 12:15 pm

Programs: BA Blue, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by earlscourtflyer
just edited my initial post with an update
Yeah I just spoke to someone who said they'd likely bring a rebooking to Qatar policy in but it would take a few days
Old Jul 19, 2022, 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by Prospero
I have a horrible feeling the route suspension is permanent

https://londonairtravel.com/2022/07/...ok/#more-35409
Yeah its gone. Can’t see it back in these climates. Maybe if a low cost WorldFlyer Gatwick with some knackered 777s takes it on in the future?!
EuropeanPete and James91 like this.
Old Jul 19, 2022, 12:45 pm
formerly JackDann

Only option on BA now really for Thailand is SIN or maybe HKG.

I’m tempted to book a reasonably priced F fare to HKG for January. Although i’m not sure what options will be available if they cancel (This would be for travel to Thailand).
Old Jul 19, 2022, 4:17 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Avis President
Yup, I'm cancelled for November...call BA first thing tomorrow and book Qatar.

A great pity. BA appear to only serve SIN and SYD and it'll be difficult to climb back in to the Far East again. I spent most of my Avios on the Far East.

In essence BA is now no longer a global airline.

Chris
Old Jul 19, 2022, 6:27 pm

BA still flies to BKK. It is cargo only at the moment, but when they get more airframes and staff BKK for passengers will come back.
The underfloor cargo on a B&& pays for the flight. Passengers are just a bonus.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 12:44 am

Programs: BAEC Silver/OW Sapphire
Originally Posted by earlscourtflyer
just received the cancellation emails for December 2022....got through on Gold line immediately to try to rebook...was told by the CSA who had spoken to the Duty Manager that rebooking options only currently available up until 29th October 2022.
Will sit tight for now in the hope that the policy changes.
I’ve got my cancellation email from BKK-LHR on 31/10. Hoping for QR reroute. Will call BA today. Cancelling the trip is not an option.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 1:10 am

Programs: BA Blue, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Chris_G
Yup, I'm cancelled for November...call BA first thing tomorrow and book Qatar.

A great pity. BA appear to only serve SIN and SYD and it'll be difficult to climb back in to the Far East again. I spent most of my Avios on the Far East.

In essence BA is now no longer a global airline.

Chris
Let us know how you get on Chris, I was told that the policy only extends up to the end of October at the moment but the person I spoke to had spoken to senior Mgt and they would quite probably bring a rebooking to Qatar policy in the next few days. They suggested I call back early next week
Old Jul 20, 2022, 1:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
This is complete nonsense from BA. They are deliberately trying to get passengers to take refunds.

These flights were cancelled in April, remember. Passengers were not told but the flights were removed from sale.

BA has also had rebooking deals in place for Bangkok for a year or so, mainly on Qatar.

It is simply untrue, as the call centre implies, that this cancellation came out of the blue and BA is now running around trying to get a rebooking policy in place. (Even if it were true, it still does not remove BA's liability to reroute you.)
Old Jul 20, 2022, 2:09 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Raffles
This is complete nonsense from BA. They are deliberately trying to get passengers to take refunds.

These flights were cancelled in April, remember. Passengers were not told but the flights were removed from sale.

BA has also had rebooking deals in place for Bangkok for a year or so, mainly on Qatar.

It is simply untrue, as the call centre implies, that this cancellation came out of the blue and BA is now running around trying to get a rebooking policy in place. (Even if it were true, it still does not remove BA's liability to reroute you.)
I found the Gold line most helpful in rebooking just now (and I got through on the phone in less than five seconds). The QR rebooking arrangement does indeed currently only run until 29 Oct, but there are other options
Old Jul 20, 2022, 2:10 am
formerly JackDann

When does the responsibility for them to re-book you begin? If they refused to re-book and were only offering a refund I'd just pay cash on an alternative airline and let them pick up the bill through MCOL.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 2:26 am

Programs: BA Executive Club
Originally Posted by gw76
Yeah its gone. Can’t see it back in these climates. Maybe if a low cost WorldFlyer Gatwick with some knackered 777s takes it on in the future?!
I know I shouldn’t respond but comments about ‘knackered’ Gatwick 777s just annoy me. The 777s are no older than most of the Heathrow 777s and all have had a cabin refit in Premium Economy and World Traveller. Granted no new Club World refits but that hasn’t stopped them leaving Gatwick for the Caribbean, Mauritius and other places packed to the rafters.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 2:39 am

Programs: BAEC Silver/OW Sapphire
Just wasted an hour on the phone as I kept being told there was nothing available on any flight from BKK to LHR in J, all thanks to BA dragging their feet for months.

Absolutely livid. I asked for SIN-LHR but told quite categorically that isn't an option, even though it is showing on the BA website.

Utter shambles and as a complete novice at this rerouting game I just don't know what to do.

As far as I am aware, BA are responsible for getting me to London in J but they don't seem to care.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 2:44 am

The same thing happened to us in January and we were re routed on Qatar. It was an economy cash fare. This time we are on a 2-4-1 in CW. Are BA still required to re route us in business? I have looked at various options and Cathay looks good with a short layover in Hong Kong.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 2:49 am

Programs: QRPC, BAEC
Originally Posted by JackDann
When does the responsibility for them to re-book you begin? If they refused to re-book and were only offering a refund I'd just pay cash on an alternative airline and let them pick up the bill through MCOL.
As soon as they cancel the flight they have the obligation to offer a full refund or re-routing including possibly to other carriers.

This scam method of purposely zeroing out flights and not “officially” cancelling your flight in the system until much later is a well known technique to get them off the hook for refunds and re-routing for as long as possible, and has been highly abused by some other carriers during the past two years (i.e. CX).

You can argue your case with BA to get a re-routing to QR or Finnair, cite the below paragraphs and mention that under UK/EC 261 there should be no barriers for them to re route you to any other airline. When requesting for a re routing via QR beware that some BKK flights are operating with QR’s oldest A330s so I would do your research beforehand and take the A380 flights instead (BKK is 2x daily A380 + 1x daily whatever aircraft QR has on the day but usually A330 )

EC/UK 261 Article 8

Right to reimbursement or re-routing

1. Where reference is made to this Article, passengers shall be offered the choice between:

(a) - reimbursement within seven days, by the means provided for in Article 7(3), of the full cost of the ticket at the price at which it was bought, for the part or parts of the journey not made, and for the part or parts already made if the flight is no longer serving any purpose in relation to the passenger's original travel plan, together with, when relevant,

- a return flight to the first point of departure, at the earliest opportunity;

(b) re-routing, under comparable transport conditions, to their final destination at the earliest opportunity; or

(c) re-routing, under comparable transport conditions, to their final destination at a later date at the passenger's convenience, subject to availability of seats.

UK CAA guidance to Article 8:

3.3 It is important, therefore, to distinguish between the CAA’s view on the acceptable means of compliance and any views it might have on how the courts might interpret the legal obligations in Article 8. In relation to the latter, the CAA’s view is that, taking the specific wording of Article 8(1)(b) literally, the obligation to provide passengers with “re-routing under comparable transport conditions, to their final destination at the earliest opportunity” means that passengers choosing the option of re-routing under Article 8(1)(b) are entitled to be re-routed on the next available flight to their final destination, in the same class of cabin, regardless of which airline is operating the flight.

Re-routing agreements with other carriers
6.3 We are aware that some airlines have agreements in place with other airlines that facilitate re-routing and allow passengers to be easily transferred onto other airlines. Such arrangements are welcome in that they can minimise both the cost to airlines of re-routing passengers and the inconvenience experienced by passengers in being re-routed. However, where airlines do not have such arrangements in place, we do not accept that this should be a barrier to re- routing passengers on other airlines.
adrianlondon likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 2:50 am

Programs: QRPC, BAEC
Originally Posted by jumpfrog
The same thing happened to us in January and we were re routed on Qatar. It was an economy cash fare. This time we are on a 2-4-1 in CW. Are BA still required to re route us in business? I have looked at various options and Cathay looks good with a short layover in Hong Kong.
DO NOT fly with CX….their schedules are fake and you have a 99% chance your flights will be cancelled, re shuffles all over the place. Finnair or QR is your best bet.
jumpfrog likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.